Mario Kart Double Dash

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Dalar
Sojourner

Mario Kart Double Dash

Postby Dalar » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:25 am

anyone got Mario Kart Double Dash, a gamecube, and a broadband adapter?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:25 pm

Buy a real console.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:38 pm

Hi my name is Mindless Consumer! I love big flashy toys! Graphics make my television go bling! Gameplay? Huh? What's that? Hey you, get away from my XBox with those crazy notions!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:45 pm

Hi, my name is goat porker. I like to have sex with goats and talk about things as if I knew wtf I was talking about. I hear people use the word gameplay and have no idea what it means.

Dude, xbox is best known for their games having great gameplay. They are also known for having better frame rates than any other console around. On top of this, they are known for having the best ration of good games to bad. Granted, gamecube has quality games, but they aren't designed for adults. I was making fun of the gamecube because everybody knows it is targeted towards children. I guess gormal loves mario paint and can't take the heat. Sorry goatman, but the truth hurts sometimes.

Dartan, get an xbox and xbox live. It'd be cool to have people from here to play with on there.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:20 pm

well i bought gamecube mainly for the mario games because i love them and so does everyone else. if i bought xbox it'd probably be just for halo, which isn't even that good after a while.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:59 pm

Yeah, it really does just depend on the type of games you like. I also agree that halo gets old after a while unless you have 6+ players. You should still get xbl and rainbow6:3.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:24 pm

I still play SNES more then any of my other systems. I'm sorry but frame rate and graphics just don't mean anything to me. I'd rather enjoy what I play. I haven't found a single PS2 game that I really liked yet, nothing that I want to play through multiple times.

I can get together with friends and play SSBM for hours!
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:27 pm

Have to agree. Just picked up Prince of Persia for my cube. My GC collection far outnumbers my PS2 collection. And if I had an xbox, i'd have maybe 2 games for it. It's just not worth it right now. Quality > Quantity.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:26 am

omg is mario kart for cube rad? I play it all the time on n64 still, and loved SNES version too...

yeh mario games pwn...
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:29 am

mario kart does pwn 8)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:36 am

Kifle wrote:Dude, xbox is best known for their games having great gameplay.

No, they are best known for "texture shaded bump mapping." Their examples of great gameplay include hits like DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball!

They are also known for having better frame rates than any other console around.

That's graphics, which is what you are arguing as NOT being the chief reason to get an X-Box. Oops?

On top of this, they are known for having the best ration of good games to bad.

Apparently they taste better? Honestly, never tried to eat a gamecube game... anyone know what Metroid Prime tasted like? No, nevermind... that game is much too fun to play. Eating it would be a tragedy.

Sorry, but I can only think of like 3 X-Box games I've ever wanted to play. So either it's only released like 6 games total, or doesn't have all that good of a ratio either.

Granted, gamecube has quality games, but they aren't designed for adults.

A fun game is a fun game, at pretty much any age. Yeah, I hated Zelda's new kiddy graphics like any sane man... but once I actually played they game I kind of stopped paying attention to the graphics and focused on the gameplay. Unfortunately, the gameplay had it's own major flaws, especially towards the end of the game. :(

But if you want an excellent Gamecube game that isn't in any way appropriate for kids, try Eternal Darkness. Dark, atmospheric, bloody, lots of grisly death... mmm... tasty. You also have a sanity meter, when it gets low wierd shit happens, like your head might fall off for no apparent reason. You can then pick it up and it will speak the Hamlet soliloqy. Ok, so I can't spell soliloquy... shoot me.

Dartan, get an xbox and xbox live. It'd be cool to have people from here to play with on there.

Because he's getting tired of playing with himself. :duck:
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:30 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:Dude, xbox is best known for their games having great gameplay.

No, they are best known for "texture shaded bump mapping." Their examples of great gameplay include hits like DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball!

Uh, you pick a game that was only released for T&A. Either sarcasm (my guess) or idiocy. I was actually talking about games like rainbowsix, halo, true crimes, Prince of Persia, crimson skies, mech assault, etc... All of these have great gameplay.

Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:They are also known for having better frame rates than any other console around.

That's graphics, which is what you are arguing as NOT being the chief reason to get an X-Box. Oops?

Read again. I never said I was arguing that it's not the chief reason to get an xbox. I just said it was known for it. Which really doesn't matter, because you can't dispute the fact that they ARE known for it.

Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:On top of this, they are known for having the best ration of good games to bad.

Apparently they taste better? Honestly, never tried to eat a gamecube game... anyone know what Metroid Prime tasted like? No, nevermind... that game is much too fun to play. Eating it would be a tragedy.

Sorry, but I can only think of like 3 X-Box games I've ever wanted to play. So either it's only released like 6 games total, or doesn't have all that good of a ratio either.

Again, like I told dartan, it's all about taste. I can say that the zelda games for the cube are good, but I wouldn't want to play them. All I'm saying is that Xbox has the best ratio of good games to bad. Ps2 has a lot of filler games from 3rd party companies that just suck. That is why their library is so big. Xbox, as well as gamecube, do the opposite. They let less 3rd party companies produce games for them, which in turn makes for a smaller library, but larger amount of great games.

Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:Dartan, get an xbox and xbox live. It'd be cool to have people from here to play with on there.

Because he's getting tired of playing with himself. :duck:

Nah, I have a lot of friends from xbox, I just thought it would be sweet to play with people here that have skill. I'd like to see if they also have skill at games such as these. That and it would be fun.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:11 am

[quote[
Uh, you pick a game that was only released for T&A. Either sarcasm (my guess) or idiocy. I was actually talking about games like rainbowsix, halo, true crimes, Prince of Persia, crimson skies, mech assault, etc... All of these have great gameplay.
[/quote]

Actually, they advertised DOA: Hardcore with the texture shaded bump mapping commercials. Which was released as the platforms chief fighting game, and isn't as good as the Tekken series except for the ability to move around in environments so much.

But yes, it was sarcasm.

Oh, and you can't use Prince of Persia since it is multiplatform. Or at least it cancels out since I can play it on the PS2 just as well. Crimson Skies and Mech Assault are two of the games I like for the X-Box, or at least am interested in... but I'm not dropping $200 on a system for two games.

Read again. I never said I was arguing that it's not the chief reason to get an xbox. I just said it was known for it. Which really doesn't matter, because you can't dispute the fact that they ARE known for it.

True, but they are also known for not having many games, and having even fewer actually good games.

Again, like I told dartan, it's all about taste. I can say that the zelda games for the cube are good, but I wouldn't want to play them. All I'm saying is that Xbox has the best ratio of good games to bad. Ps2 has a lot of filler games from 3rd party companies that just suck. That is why their library is so big. Xbox, as well as gamecube, do the opposite. They let less 3rd party companies produce games for them, which in turn makes for a smaller library, but larger amount of great games.

3rd party PS2 games:

FFX
FFX-2
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto 3
Tekken 4
Prince of Persia

Well, that's just off the top of my head. My point is that there is a TON of great games made by third party companies, and by restricting companies from making games for their system Gamecube and Xbox are missing out.

Honestly, I have a gamecube and I like the system (except for the controller) but there are only a couple more games I like on it than on the xbox. Nintendo NEEDS to let companies start throwing games at the system, maybe a lot of them will suck... but there will be a lot more good ones too.

You can speak about ratio all you want, but if X-Box has a 100% ratio of great games and has only made 10 games you only get 10 good games.

If PS2 has a 20% ratio and makes 1000 games then PS2 owners get 200.

I'd rather have 200 available than 10. Which is what you get with the PS2.

Nah, I have a lot of friends from xbox, I just thought it would be sweet to play with people here that have skill. I'd like to see if they also have skill at games such as these. That and it would be fun.

My guess is that years of going without graphics has left them incapable of recognizing simple shapes, so they would get creamed in any graphical games. ;)

Maybe if they got themselves a <a href="http://bbspot.com/News/2003/02/ati_ascii.html">ATI Radeon 9500 ASC</a>
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:29 am

I wouldn't really call the FF series a 3rd party, since Square Enix is a company which was bought by playstation(?) such like rare and bungie are subsidaries of the microsoft corp. GTA series is really not that cool. yeah they are fun to play, but I don't know one person that has beat it because of the repetition. That and the graphics are still kinda crappy, and the gamplay is sub-par.

Anyway, back to my original point. It's all about the games you like to play. Xbox is a FPS gaming console. The RPG's they have came out with are pretty good, and the ones they are going to come out with (Fable) are probably going to be better than the FF type RPG's. That is purely opinion though. Gamecube is better for children, or nostalgic type gamers. They have good graphics, and fun games, but their controlls just suck. Ps2 has great RPG titles, a huge game library, but lacks a good graphics and hardware.

If I do get gamecube for x-mas though, which I hope I do, I'll gladly kick your ass at Mario Kart, Dartan.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:39 am

Any console game worth playing is cross-platform anyway. It doesn't matter what console you own now, developers whore themselves out to all three when they have a decent game anyway.

Star Wars: KOTOR (PC)
GTA: Vice City
Prince of Persia
Soul Calibur II
Madden 2004

Who cares, all available for multiple platforms. Picking a console to buy is a cosmetic decision. Pick the one that looks prettiest and has the best controllers, you'll get all the good games anyway.

Mario Kart was pretty fun on the SNES. Flogging a dead horse now.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
asamoth
Sojourner

Postby asamoth » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:26 pm

Well back on topic, I've got mk:dd. Its pretty fun to play with 4 players. The battle modes don't seem to have quite as much lasting appeal as say other games (which is why I got it mostly). We had much more fun with 4 players trying to finish first in one of the grand prix races (2 drivers, 2 gunners). Definatly easier to convince 4 people to play this vs fzero which really requires you to know the track well.
Dont have the bb adaptor, but would have to get wireless out to my cube if I did that and then I'd think the latencies would suck for warppipe. Did you try warpipe out yet dalar?

My 2c on the 3 consoles.
GC - good 1st party exclusives, cruddy 3rd party support.
PS2 - few good 3rd party exclusives, lota really crap games tho.
Xbox - has halo, and doabv if your into that. Why you'd want to play a fps without a good mouse/keyboard is beyond me.
2c doesn't get you much
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:09 pm

yea i did, i tested it with someone in SF and i'm in San Mateo (about 30 miles apart) . it was kinda laggy but i dunno why. He's said he has gotten perfect connections within the bay area.

I wouldn't say battle mode is boring. My friends and i played it for hours straight on bobomb blast, but not so much on balloon battle. haven't even tried shine thief yet

Return to “General Discussion Archive”