Lord of The Rings anybody?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.

What do you think of 'Return of the King'?

Rocked!
82%
Sucked!
5%
Eh, s'ok.
13%

Total votes: 60
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:58 pm

Yeah, Akira was much more "WTF was that???" kind of ending.

Gimli humor is dumb. Everyone makes fun of the rough and tumble dwarf cause he's short, but not the most feminine man who ever didn't exist. Down with Legolas and his big-eared, nancing, elphant surfing ass.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:06 pm

Down with Legolas.... I'll volunteer!!!

Saw it a third time with a friend in Tulsa who hadn't seen it yet, and it was still worth it, still easy to sit there for over three hours, still kept me mesmerized. I wish I could have gotten to see them all three on the big screen together. Actually, I wish I could see all three extended versions on the big screen together.
Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:05 pm

Ashiwi wrote: Actually, I wish I could see all three extended versions on the big screen together.

Oh I would insert my own catheder(sp?) for that! We're talkin no lube and everything.
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:41 pm

My ass is still numb... and i watched it a week ago!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:08 pm

Ashiwi wrote: Actually, I wish I could see all three extended versions on the big screen together.

At the same time?!?!?!?

I dunno who's more nuts now, Ashiwi or Smeagol? :O

Sesexe says, 'What I'd go for right now is some popcorn.'
Ashiwi says, 'What is 'popcorn' Precious?!?'
Sesexe says, 'You know, Pop-Corn! Heat it. Pop it. Stick it in your mouth.'
Ashiwi says, 'Yuck! Stupid Dark Elf!'
Sesexe says, 'And a nice cuishion for my bottom.'
Ashiwi says, 'Precious likes the isle floor, doesn't she Precious? Yes! Yes! She does!'
Sesexe says, '*gag*'
Ashiwi says, 'Yes! Yes! Bring us the isle, cold.. and STICKY! Yes Precious!'

;)
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:23 pm

Awesome. Simply Awesome.

Why's everyone so down on Gimli's humor? I thought it was right fitting. Almost every novel I've read with dwarves protrays them as good natured and humorous. Yeah, rough and tumble badass too, but they seem to usually be portrayed as having a kind of rough humor as well. I thought they did a great job.

Besides, with situations that rough, humor is great at keeping you going, and keeping your spirits up.
Joras
Sojourner

LotRs read it all!

Postby Joras » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:52 pm

Well, everyone is going to have their own opinion on the movies. Some good some bag, but I believe the movies were done as good as any one person could do them. That one person really truly was Peter Jackson. Yes he had tons and tons of help, but in the end, it was his vision of the Tolkien books.

With the technology of today, the patience of the moviegoers today, I think he did a wonderful job. He made many many many more good choices compared to the "questionable" choices that he made.

Everyone can nit pick a movie to death, a good movie and a bad movie it doesn’t matter. Lego, Gimly all of their banter and humor were great for the movies. In the books they became very close friends. The riding the shield down the stairs, the "Surfing" the elephant all were great ways to show elves as super human in dex and agility... He didn’t have him flying through the air or anything dumb. So again I think he did a great job on that..

Call me a Fanboy or what ever.. That’s great cause I am.. and I always will be a great fanboy of Tolkien and his writing.

I recommend to everyone reading these posts to go and read the full set of books.. but don't stop there.. read the Silmerillion, read the books finish by his son etc.. They are all good books and wonderful to read Here is a partial listing.. All are very much worth the time to read, and only add to the value of the world, Middle Earth.

The Hobbit
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
The Silmerillion

The War of the Jewels
Morgoth’s Ring
Unfinished Tales
The People’s of Middle Earth
The Book of Lost Tales (1&2)

The History of the Lord of the Rings Vol I – IV
The History of the Middle Earth Vol 1 – 6

Joras Fanboy! :)
It's better to burn out then to fade away!
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Lord of the Rings

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:16 pm

I agree, the movies were simply incredible. I also agree with Ashiwi, I could sit in the movie theater and watch all 3 extended editions.

Gripe: The defense of the Shire

This episode at the end of the books when the hobbits return to the Shire is crucial to the books. Not only does it establish them as heroes within the Shire itself, but it establishes a finale for Saruman and Grima Wormtongue. The movies diminished Saruman's role to just the first two movies; albeit that lame part he plays for 2 secs when the Ents attack.

Excellent movies nonetheless.

P.S. Gandalf is one of the Valar, which in Spanish means Ranger :wink:
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:18 pm

OMG ETTERCAP!

~
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:34 am

Been a long while since I read it but I thought that Gandalf was only the hand servant of one of the Valar. The once in charge of earth or something like that.
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:31 pm

The movie may have been like the second part but it was a good movie to watch. Wish they showed the parts where the undead fought the orc's and giants. But I think it was well done. Hopefully the dvd version has some more stuff on it for us to drool over.

Crumar.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”