Jury Duty

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Jury Duty

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:05 am

So yeah, lets post this in the right forum.

Anyway, I got a letter for jury duty monday jan5th at 8am. It's not so bad, except my days I work are sat/sun/mon/thurs. And I work from 4:30pm to 3:30am. So it kills my sleep and I have to work the day before/after it. So anyone got any good stories/tips how to get in there and be the first one chosen to be booted out? :P
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Tida
Sojourner

Postby Tida » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:07 am

one i've heard is you hate everyone equally
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:10 am

As far as I know, in the UK our work is expected to pay us if we are on jury duty, I don't imagine it's much different in the US or Canada, whichever you are in.

I'd just tell your work 'Sorry, can't work on sunday or monday, I've got jury duty'.

If the shoe was on the other foot sort of thing, and you worked 9-5 monday and tuesday, and they asked you to do jury duty at 9.30pm on monday and expect you to be there till 4am, you wouldn't be going to work on monday/tuesday either.

So if I was you I'd try that, and if your work said 'No, you can't have the time off' then tell the jury duty folks you can't do jury duty because your work won't give you the time of.

It'd be lunacy to expect you to do a shift at work, give you about 2 hours by the time you allow for travel, then do jury duty, then do a shift at work.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:21 am

Yeah, well it is lunacy. I already tried that actually.

From my supervisor - "Since it's technically not when you're working, you will be expected to make your regular shifts"

I'm gonna give it a few days and see what happens, cause one way or another i'm not working that monday.

And as for Tida, well that works for me. I do hate everyone :P
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:24 am

Don't you have laws protecting you in the working enviroment?
Like the fact that you have to have at least eight to twelve hours between each workday? I always knew Texas was a crappy state *pokes Arilin*
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:39 am

Yeah, I know it sucks. But this is the only job I have at the moment and I cannot afford to lose it. So yeah, im gonna see what I can do about it, i'm gonna give my supe a few days to see what he can do. I think he's on my side on the issue but im not 100% sure. But we'll see I spose.
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:03 am

You can always bluff it.

I'm sure your supervisor realises you're not the dumbest guy on the planet, so maybe spin him a tale that you've checked in to it. And as far as you can tell jury duty does count as work, and that you must be given 10 hours between shifts. Be sure and placate him by saying that you hate having to pull this stuff on him, but you'd be going 2 days without sleep etc. If you pull it off right then the chances are he will not bother to check it out himself, and even if he does, it probably is illegal to make you do it anyway :P
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:04 am

Jegzed wrote:Don't you have laws protecting you in the working enviroment?
Like the fact that you have to have at least eight to twelve hours between each workday? I always knew Texas was a crappy state *pokes Arilin*

Nope.. we aren't a complete nanny state just yet. If I feel like working 16 hours a day nobody is going to stop me. Of course.. I can get fined half the money I made in those 16 hours for not wearing a stupid seatbelt... So maybe we are turning into wussy europeans after all :)

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:09 am

We've got laws in the Uk that prevent you being made to work 16 hour shifts, as far as I know it's not illegal to actually do it if you want. To me that's an enormous difference :)
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:10 am

heh i got called for jury duty, i went in 1 time, drunk driving case. THey said the victim was going to sue the restaurant for serving alcohol to the man who later hit someone while driving drunk. I said i had a problem with the people suing the restaurant. They asked me how old i was, i said 23, and i was home by 1 pm.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:57 am

I can tell if people are guilty by looking at them.
I'm attracted to you, your honor.
Is it murder if I haven't been caught?
Would I have to bathe?
Can each of my personalities vote in deliberations?
Laws are for sissies.
Your marshall's handcuffs are turning me on.

There you go, your out.
Belle
Sesexe
Sojourner

Re: Jury Duty

Postby Sesexe » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:19 am

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:So yeah, lets post this in the right forum.

Anyway, I got a letter for jury duty monday jan5th at 8am. It's not so bad, except my days I work are sat/sun/mon/thurs. And I work from 4:30pm to 3:30am. So it kills my sleep and I have to work the day before/after it. So anyone got any good stories/tips how to get in there and be the first one chosen to be booted out? :P

Yes. When the Lawyers are interviewing everyone, whenever they ask if anyone has an opinion about this type of crime etc, EMPHATICALLY raise your hand. Be utterly for or utterly against whatever they are talking about. Be opinionated.

Lawyers want open minded people who don't have pre-conceived opinions about things so they can sway you to their side. If your mind is made up, they won't want you and boot you out as soon as possible.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:23 am

Seriously, tell them your racist or something, or biased in some way. Tell them you got robbed by a 70 year old black lesbian and you just wish you could get back at someone for it. Act crazy, or something. Tell them you love to see people hang or some junk.
That should work, or something.
-g
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:03 am

You know, in most states you can simply opt out of jury duty. You can just say "I don't feel like I'm a proper candidate to perform this service because I'm not confident in my ability to stay unbiased in this situation." No lawyer in the land wants someone on the jury who doesn't want to be there. They want jurors who are willing to stay as long as necessary (at the expense of their respective workplaces) to make sure their clients get proper deliberation. If you have an issue with doing jury duty, just saying so will probably get you out of it.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:43 pm

At the very least extreme antics could get Corth a job getting Arilin outta jail!
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:00 pm

Wear the best suit you have. Dress NICE. Buy some of those intellectual looking glasses that sit at the tip of your nose. Carry some kind of thick book with a title that screams "i hate everyone". My mother-in-law does that, and usually is one of the first ones out of there, and barely has to answer any questions at all. She's been called for jury duty like 6 times or something ridiculous, and she's never been chosen.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:03 pm

Any amount of bias will get you dismissed. One easy thing to do would be to say that you'll be finding the defendent guilty no matter what, simply because their actions forced you to get absolutely no sleep, as you work night shifts then have to come in for jury duty. Might even be true.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:12 pm

Or you could just do the responsible thing and serve your term on jury duty... it's one of the small prices we pay for being able to vote. As for your job making you work those hours, you should call your local labor board and ask if jury duty is considered part of your "working day" and if you can be forced to work for more than a certain amount of hours in a day. You're supposed to get paid for jury duty, so that might be a viable excuse to get out of your job for every day you're in jury duty.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:42 pm

Gerad wrote:Act crazy, or something. Tell them you love to see people hang or some junk.

You don't know him that well, or you would have assumed this to be normal behavior :p

Btw, best way to prevent jury duty is to not register to vote in your stupid county :)

Btw, Texas is stupid if it allows your employer to make such an assinine request of your time. You are supposed to be compensated for your time AT jury duty(to a certain amount by the state) and then your company is supposed to pick up the rest of the wage. If Texas isn't like that, then I suppose yer screwed because yer an idiot and live in Texas :)

T
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
cichlids
Sojourner

Postby cichlids » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:48 pm

Th eright to vote and the jury duty have nothing to do with each other. There are many democratic systems where you vote but jurors are appointed. Anyway, if it wont get you fired Id say try to go, as it is a duty you have as a citizen, and be glad thats about all you have to do, and not the 18 month army stint i was made to do.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:51 pm

cichlids wrote:Th eright to vote and the jury duty have nothing to do with each other.

Maybe not in the spirit of the two, but in many counties people are chosen for jury duty from the lists of registered voters.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:15 pm

Jurors are selected for jury duty from the DMV list of drivers, permit holders, and non-driver ID card holders. 3nj0y.

edit- this is for state juries only. I dunno how the crappy county courts do it, because I live in a real state and not some backwoods yokel state.

3nj0y further.

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:20 pm

thanuk wrote:I live in a real state and not some backwoods yokel state.

There are some parts of New York that are pretty damn backwoods. Ever been to Warsaw? Thousand Islands? Warsaw is like a richer version of Deliverance.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:54 pm

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:
thanuk wrote:I live in a real state and not some backwoods yokel state.

There are some parts of New York that are pretty damn backwoods. Ever been to Warsaw? Thousand Islands? Warsaw is like a richer version of Deliverance.

NY? Get outside of the major towns/cities and is mostly backwoods. Towns like Fish's Eddy (if you call it a town), or heavily wooded with few roads, like the NE part of the state.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:08 pm

Yeah but the juror selection is still done on a statewide basis, and taken from the DMV. It works out that if you get selected for county court, you won't be selected for the next 3 years for any other court including grand juries and such. From what I understand in other states where they select from county voting registration and such, your serving as a juror for county court is completely unrelated to your serving on a grand jury or a federal case. But im no expert, so I could be wrong, I just know how it works here.

And my point was, there are parts of NY that aren't backwoods and yokel, unlike Texas:)

old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:19 pm

The most compelling reason to actually go to jury duty is that you are supposed to get a jury of your PEERS.

Imagine if you were the defendant in the case and had been wrongly accused. Would you want your fate hanging on educated, intelligent people like yourself, or the out of work, half crazy person who will be sitting beside you in the perspective jury box just itching to find someone guilty because their life sucks?

Think about black people in the south before the civil rights who were convicted by all white jurys. Serving on a jury is not a hassle it is a privelidge.

Is that the type of jury you would want if you were arrested?

After all that, I would tell them that you work nights, your boss won't let you out of work to attend jury duty and as much as you would like to serve, you feel it would be irresponsible to do so as your judgement will be impaired due to lack of sleep.

If that doesn't do it let me know so I never step foot in Texas again.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:48 pm

old depok wrote:Would you want your fate hanging on [...] out of work, half crazy person who will be sitting beside you in the perspective jury box just itching to find someone guilty because their life sucks?

Omg, low blow.. You really don't need to say those things about Arilin! :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:50 pm

Why are talking? Shouldn't you be out chasing an ambulance Corth? :P

Return to “General Discussion Archive”