Favorite Movie Moment of All Time?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Favorite Movie Moment of All Time?

Postby Sesexe » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:53 pm

Ok, we're talking all time favorite movie moment here. Not the whole movie, just a scene. A scene that you can probably recite the whole dialogue to. Preferably something you've kept in your head for years and years, and the second that movie comes to mind, your scene pops into your head.

So what is it? :D
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:13 pm

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
Attack ships on fire off the shores of Orion.
I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate
All those things will be lost in time
Like tears in rain
Time to die"

Roy Batty, Bladerunner, most memorable scene in any movie ever, for me. Ever time I heard the words in my head I can still hear the pounding of the music and the empty patter of the rain right after, along with the dove's wings.
chandigar
Sojourner

Postby chandigar » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:45 pm

Care Bear Stare!
Sarkhon
Sojourner

Postby Sarkhon » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:12 pm

Easy - Godfather II, young Vito standing on the boat and just staring out onto the New York City skyline (the statue of liberty, in particular). The music is blaring in the background and you can just see a look in his face of having the determination to try and make something of himself. A very classic shot, especially in the context of Vito's ultimate rise to power.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:36 pm

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarrettes, it's dark out and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Hit it."

- Blues Brothers
Also:

"Help, help. I'm bein repressed!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:24 pm

although those are all ok, theres nothing the captures true classical movie making, the golden years of hollywood like:

"We have to get out of here, I sharted"

from Along Came Polly.
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:12 am

It's a toss up between two...

First one is from Grave of the Fireflies .. the scene where he's building the funeral pyre for his sister, with the scenes of his memories of her throughout the movie. You have to be made of stone for that to not get to you, animated or not..

or...

"Vince, you said before you were waiting for a sign. What sign are you waiting for?"

"Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!"
gimaki
Sojourner

Postby gimaki » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:49 am

Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan; retails for about one hundred nine, ninety-five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right, shop smart, shop S-Mart! - Ash

Army of Darkness
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:08 am

When it appears that the end of Rohan is near, then come the words "Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:18 am

Aye, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom! Alba gu bra!

OR!

Duke of Argyll: Another one of your "likely lads"? Or are you a buggerer of boys?
Archibald Cunningham: It has been months since I last buggered a boy, though I thought him a girl at the point of entry.
Duke of Argyll: Will, do you hear this? Apparently Mr. Cunningham has trouble telling the difference between arse and quim, what say you to that?
Will Guthrie: I've heard many Englishmen have the same problem.

(lifted it from imdb to get it right)
Last edited by Stamm on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:27 am

1) In Star Wars when Han Solo tells Chewy to "punch it" in the Millenium Falcon, and the warp drive turns over but grinds to a halt, so then he has to fix it and hit it with his fist.

2) In LOTR FOTR when Gandalf is about to face the Balrog he turns, sweat pouring from him and says to the others "Run! Run you fools!"

3) In Predator, when all of Arnie's crew have been skinned, he is the last, he prepares some traps for the predator in the dark near that big fallen tree over the ravine, covered in mud, and he stands on the tree, lights his torch, makeshift bow across his back, then holds the torch high and roars the challenge to the Predator to the night.

4) In LOTR FOTR when Sauron's finger is cut off by Isildur and Sauron falls, and the gigantic boom resonates outward felling things in its path for ages.

5) In Ponty Python's Holy Grail, the classic fight with the Black Knight, where his limbs are cut of one by one and he keeps saying "It's just a flesh wound!".

Oooh, so many more!
And yeah, Blade Runner has some cool scenes.
BEER
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:38 am

Private Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Private Vasquez: No, have you?
rarlaj
Sojourner

Postby rarlaj » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:16 am

Hey man Hey man how far will the plane take us with one engine...

All the way to the scene of the crash... bet we beat the paramedics by a half hour...

Ron White, Blue Collar Comedy Tour the Movie....

I found the clitoris ...

Stan Marsh, South Park Bigger, Better, Uncut

I didnt make him for You!

Frankie The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Rarlaj - Athiyk Cretok - Orbdrin D'oloth
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:48 am

"Is it dead?!"
-Rocco, The Boondock Saints.
By the way, if you haven't seen this movie, it's a MUST SEE.

or a classic:

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid"
-The Duke, The Sands of Iwo Jima
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:03 pm

Finding Nemo:
(in the dark)

Dory: AHHHHHH! Who touched me?!
Marlin: That was me.
Dory: who are you?
Marlin: Who am I? Who do you think I am?!
Dory: Are...are you my conscience?
Marlin: Yes Dory, I'm your conscience. We haven't spoken in awhile. How are you?
Dory: Meh. Can't complain.
Marlin: Tell me Dory, do you see anything?
Dory: Yea...I see...a light. Hey conscience, am I dead?
Marlin: No, your not dead I see it too.
Dory: It's so *pretty*. I wanna touch it. *attemps to touch light but light moves away*
Both: Oooh
Marlin: Hey! Come back! Come on back here! I'm gonna get you!
Dory: Come here!
Marlin: *sings* I'm gonna swim with you.
Dory: I'm gonna get you! I'm gonna get you!
Marlin: *sings* I wanna be your best friend. *angler fish appears*
Marlin: Good feelings gone....AHHHHHH!!!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:23 pm

Okay, there's a point here I have to give to Belly. When it comes to sheer number of quotable quotes, the "Army of Darkness" movies have everything else beat, hands down.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:47 pm

"Ahhh Blyx. Come closer. Are you not the most loathsome of my goblins?"

"Truly master."

"And is your heart black and full of hate?"

"Black as midnight. Black as pitch. Blacker then the foulest witch."

"Something troubles me. I feel a presence in the forest. One I had almost mercifully forgotten."

"Must be dread in deed to trouble you O'lordship."

"One could not think that they could contain such power. One could rule the universe with it! You must find them. And DESTROY THEM!"

"Uhh..What do they look like lord?"

"FOOL!" *Slams a utensil into the goblins forehead* "Let this serve to remind you. The creature is crowned with a single spiral reaching like a antenna straight to heaven."

"I get the point lord."

"Bring the horns to me."

"Where shall I look sire?"

"There is only one bait for such disgusting goodness. One bait that never fails!"

"Please, you teach me."

"Innocence. Innocence!"

-Legend (and so began my love of evil races!)
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:00 pm

For new movies, I've gotta give it up to Captain Jack Sparrow's entrance to Port Royal.

Or what about:

"You're out of your element Donny!"
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:35 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Okay, there's a point here I have to give to Belly. When it comes to sheer number of quotable quotes, the "Army of Darkness" movies have everything else beat, hands down.

Dont forget Princess Bride!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:07 am

Snurgt wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:Okay, there's a point here I have to give to Belly. When it comes to sheer number of quotable quotes, the "Army of Darkness" movies have everything else beat, hands down.

Dont forget Princess Bride!

Why are you smiling?
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:56 am

move
Last edited by ssar on Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEER
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:57 am

"Look darling it's Jonny Ringo. What do you think? Should I hate him?"

"You don't even know him."

"Something something."

Jonny Ringo and Doc Holiday exchange a few lines in latin.

"It seems Jonny Ringo is an educated man darling. Now I definately hate him."

Ringo stares down Doc Holiday and twirls his guns around showing off, getting an applause from the patrons in the saloon.

All eyes shift to Doc Holiday for his response to Ringo's display.

He pounds his drink down and starts twirling his cup around, mocking the gunplay displayed by Ringo and drawing laughter from everyone in the place.

Tombstone kicks ass. =)
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:29 pm

o ... my bad ... thought it said favorite MUD moments .... *halo* (test test new tagline)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:21 am

Edgar Friendly (Dennis Leary in Demolition Man) : I''m the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal?
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:27 pm

Barbossa in Pirates of the Caribbean: 'I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means "no."'

Dark Helmet in Spaceballs: "So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb. "

Also in Spaceballs when they are "combing the desert" (with giant combs being drug along the sand) and the two guys with the hair pick go "We ain't found shit".

Too many to name, but my favorite movie of all time is HEAT. Al Pacino, Rober Deniro, cops and robbers...doesn't get any better than that:

I had to hit up IMDB too to make sure it was right:

Vincent Hanna: So you never wanted a regular type life?
Neil McCauley: What the fuck is that? Barbeques and ballgames?

Justine Hanna: You don't live with me, you live among the remains of dead people. You sift through the detritus, you read the terrain, you search for signs of passing, for the scent of your prey, and then you hunt them down. That's the only thing you're committed to. The rest is the mess you leave as you pass through

(This is when al pacino walks in and finds out his wife is sleeping with another guy)
Vincent Hanna: I'm angry. I'm very angry, Ralph. You know, you can ball my wife if she wants you to. You can lounge around here on her sofa, in her ex-husband's dead-tech, post-modernistic bullshit house if you want to. But you do not get to watch my fucking television set! (The television set is then placed in the car and thrown out on the street at an intersection)
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:37 am

Thought of another one.

That scene from Scarface where he gets into the argument with his wife in the nice restraunt and made a big comotion.

"Whaht are joo all looking at?"
"Joo need people like me! Joo all are scared to be what joo want to be!"
"Joo need people like me so joo can't point jour finger and say, 'there's the bad guy!'"
"Something something ranting"
"Okay, good night, the bad guy is leaving now!"

Or something like that. That is a cool scene. Sweet movie as I'm sure everyone knows as well. = )
Teralyn
Sojourner

Postby Teralyn » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:07 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:"Is it dead?!"
-Rocco, The Boondock Saints.
By the way, if you haven't seen this movie, it's a MUST SEE.

"And shepards we shall be.
For thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand.
So our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commad.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee.
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti"

One of the greatest movies ever made!!
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:32 pm

-I've got a job in the town of Machine
-Machine?! Thats the end of the line!

and:

You had the last filistine! This one is mine

both from
Dead Man with J.Depp
You group-say 'who is da red shape?'
A red shape group-says 'I'm a shape'
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:07 pm

EXCALIBUR...
when King Arthur finally gets the Holy Grail and He takes a sips... than Carl Orff's Carmina Burina-O Fortuna starts playing!!
He gets on his horse starts galloping across the barren wasteland than the flowers and trees bloom as the music gets louder and louder as King Arthur races to meet Mordred in battle...

It pretty much doesnt get any better than that...

but Scarface, Taxi driver and Fight Club are a good choices too...
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:40 pm

"Hallo. My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die!"

and

"HEY YOU GUYS!"
(when Sloth superman's his way down on the pirate ship in Goonies)

Eli 8)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:05 am

Wobb wrote:Dark Helmet in Spaceballs: "So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb. "

Also in Spaceballs when they are "combing the desert" (with giant combs being drug along the sand) and the two guys with the hair pick go "We ain't found shit".

Dark Helmet: How many a$$holes have we got on this ship?
Everyone: "Yo!" *raises hand*
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:53 pm

"But at nighttime, when there was nothing to do, and the house was all empty, I'd always think of Jenny...

...and then, she was there."

Forrest Gump
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:55 pm

I had to add my favorite Disney moments!

The entire opening sequence of "The Lion King." It's easily one of the most powerful bits of animation I've ever seen.

Also the part in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" when Judge Claude Frolo is singing about his lust for Esmerelda in front of his fireplace and it turns into his very own inquistion in front of a jury of his own demons. I thought Frolo was the best bad guy Disney ever created (yes, I know they weren't his original creators), because he was so thoroughly contemptible, yet so very human.

Of course, "The Hunchback" was my favorite Disney animation, because it broke so many of their own boundaries.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:28 pm

Disney!

"One Jump, ahead of the bread line!
On swing, ahead of the sword.
I steal, only what I can't afford.
And that's EVERYTHING!"

-Aladdin

"OH! Oh! Oh! And THAT'S a BIG SURPRISE! I think I'm gonna have a heart attack and DIE from THAT Surprise!"

-Iago
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:35 pm

Whistler: I want peace on earth and good will toward men.

Bernard Abbott: We are the United States Government. We don't do that sort of thing.
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:16 am

No movie has ever hit such a nerve has Fight Club did...

I got my first real corporate job... and i truly felt every line of that movie...

Soo many lines... but the best line that capture the whole movie is the diatribe by Tyler Durden...

Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:12 pm

<a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/">Equilibrium</a>. Saving the puppy from the bad men. 10x better action scene than Matrix sequels.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sun May 02, 2004 9:01 pm

Loved that movie todrael. All except the "gun-fu". Gun kata was so unbelieveably lame. I don't care how much you dance around. gimme somethin full auto at that range, and yer dead.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun May 02, 2004 11:19 pm

City Hunter and Who Am I... both Jackie Chan movies.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Mon May 03, 2004 5:46 am

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. The poor bastard'll see them soon enough. We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers. Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, two dozen Amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

"A drug person can learn to handle such things as seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to deal with this trip."

- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue May 11, 2004 11:06 am

"Who's motorcycle is that?"
"It's not a motorcycle baby, it's a chopper."
"Who's chopper is that?"
"Zed's."
"Who's Zed?"
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
BEER

Return to “General Discussion Archive”