FF XI

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

FF XI

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:11 am

Anyone tried this? I kind of want to after seeing the screens and reading some reviews, but if it turns out sucky that will sadden me : (
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Re: FF XI

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:44 am

Xisiqomelir wrote:Anyone tried this? I kind of want to after seeing the screens and reading some reviews, but if it turns out sucky that will sadden me : (

It was alright. It's a horrid grind though. In the grand scheme of MMO's, it's vastly repetative.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:05 pm

I haven't found a Final Fantasy yet that wasn't vastly repetitive. I've never been able to play the things because their combat system always managed to both annoy and bore me, and the storylines always seemed to be the same exact plot, with a few character and scenery changes.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:28 pm

Ashiwi wrote:I haven't found a Final Fantasy yet that wasn't vastly repetitive. I've never been able to play the things because their combat system always managed to both annoy and bore me, and the storylines always seemed to be the same exact plot, with a few character and scenery changes.

Apples and oranges. Can't compare previous games to FFXI.

With previous final fantasy games there always is a plot, there's SOMETHING to look forward to from the beginning.

With FFXI, all you have to look forward to is limited character creation options, leveling.. leveling...leveling...leveling...getting equipment that looks like EVERYONE elses. etc.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:08 am

I'm tellin ya, play WoW
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Asilin
Sojourner

Postby Asilin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:14 pm

FF XI
PRO - You can change classes, so if you end up hating the class you start or just want a break from it, you can switch over to a different one.

CON - Because of sub-jobs you now have to level up 2 or 3 classes just to be good at one.

PRO - Experience a world of breathtaking detail and beauty.

CON - All rendered in green and (mainly) brown.

PRO - Great combat set up (though healing aggro has been implemented stupidly)

CON - Combat is rage-inducingly slow.

CON - Group with a character more the 2 class lvls different and someone will be getting screwed out of xp. This is annoying as well. You can pretty much guarantee that many times in your characters life you will be prevented from grouping with a friend because one or the other of you hit a few levels over the other.

CON - Player mentality over character deaths is abysmal here. Seen one guy buy the group white mage two of his spells (CON - Prices on this game are horrible) just so the white mage would stay. Then an undead (undead are strong undercons in the game) jumped the group while fighting something else, white mage died. The guy that got the white mage his spells payed another whitemage to rez him. White mage gets back, drops group after a lame-o excuse. Guys says, "That was a waste of 8,000 gil. (spells and rez for the white mage)

You will see that a lot.
Skror
Sojourner

Postby Skror » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:06 pm

Everquest 2 is what I'm looking forward to!
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:22 pm

Skror wrote:Everquest 2 is what I'm looking forward to!

Just for you then:
http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... hp?t=10556
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"

Return to “General Discussion Archive”