laptops

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Lalsed
Sojourner

laptops

Postby Lalsed » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:20 am

anyways, I'm looking to buy a laptop

I don't know much about them, but I'll tell you what I want and then you can tell me what to get, kind of.

I need something cheap, but good and reliable. Also graphic intensive, for things such as photoshop, ifpossible. Most expensive I could manage would probably be about $1500, but I was thinking more around the $1000 range.

Basically to summarize I need the best value I can get as cheap as I can get it. So where should I look, what kind should I look for, and should I go used or new?

I want wireless lan too.

anyways, enough of that
Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Re: laptops

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:44 am

Used powerbook. Try ebay.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:15 pm

Check out the eMachines laptops. the M2352 is $1250 and has integrated wireless 54g and 15.4" WXGA screen. Its pretty packed for the price. Gotta love AMD processors :)
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:52 pm

Has eMachine's reputation gotten any better recently though? From what I recall everything they make is absolute rubbish...the cheapest possible components in every possible location. If you get an eMachine I'd consider looking for some sort of extended warranty.

Personally, I always recommend HP/Compaq NX9030 for notebooks, but this is a business class notebook, not some cheap consumer garbage that you can get at Walmart. I also always recommend getting the 3 year extended warranty with accidental damage coverage. The accidental damage warranty has covered everything from spilling coffee on the keyboard, to running the notebook over with a Humvee in Iraq.

The one where the soldier left his notebook on the ground while packing into his Hummer and subsequently left it in the sand and ran it over...I literally had to send a bag full of smashed parts in to HP. They gave him a new notebook.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:59 pm

goto fatwallet.com and watch the forums for good deals on laptops. A few weeks ago there were new dell laptops on sale with $200 rebates and $200 coupon codes... Could get a $1,500 laptop for around $1,000

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:34 pm

If you're doing a lot of graphics you'll really just want good RAM and video card. That's going to be expensive too. You're realisticly going to have to spend around 1500-2000 for it to be decent as photoshop is such a RAM hog.

You might also want to check out the powerbooks...they might be a bit on the expensive side, but for graphic design, there are none better.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:13 pm

rylan wrote:Check out the eMachines laptops. the M2352 is $1250 and has integrated wireless 54g and 15.4" WXGA screen. Its pretty packed for the price. Gotta love AMD processors :)

I've got an eMachines 6805 and i picked it up for 1150 after rebates. Check reviews on them theyre impressive hardware and only downfall is weight.
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:47 pm

Lalsed wrote:I need something cheap, but good and reliable. Also graphic intensive, for things such as photoshop, ifpossible. Most expensive I could manage would probably be about $1500, but I was thinking more around the $1000 range.

If you're using it for graphics work, don't go with a laptop. The limited resolution etc makes images on and LCD look differently than they will on a CRT or Plasma monitor. It's not totally the LCD screens fault, but you just percieve the images slightly differently.

Nothing beats the mobility of a laptop, I have an IBM R51 1.6 centrino with a radeon 9600 mobile in it, but nothing beats my Athlon 64 3800+ with a Saphire X800 Platinum in performance. (the same $2000 canadian or about $1700 american.)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:39 am

Xisiqomelir wrote:Used powerbook. Try ebay.

P-P-P-Powerbook!
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:56 am

laptops are bad for graphics because their displays are not calibratable to a given color temperature. so for critical work it's not good.

i have an hp 7020us, got in february. it does photoshop and adobe premiere work well once i upgraded the ram to 2gb, but it's difficult to judge true sharpness, dynamic range and overall quality on an LCD.

unless that lcd is an apple cinema display
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:59 am

Hey, just a thought, but try www.maxstation.com. they have some
laptops that they will custom make for you. I dealt with a guy named
brandon. I think he was their sales manager. Might want to try them.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:13 pm

There is nothing that compares to a powerbook when doing graphics on a laptop...if you have the spare money after getting a used pb, get a cheap CRT monitor if you are doing hi res work.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"

Return to “General Discussion Archive”