For the literate gamer...

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
kwirl
Sojourner

For the literate gamer...

Postby kwirl » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:32 am

I was compiling a list of every book I have ever read, and I happened to come across a Random House Publishing reader's survey of the best books of the 20th century. I thought I would share some of that here

Interestingly to me was that Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead held the 1&2 spots, respectively. while Tolkien got a miserly 4th place :(

http://listsofbests.com/list/3/
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:30 pm

That's because LoTR was very, very boring. Well written structurally I think, but boring. It took him like an entire chapter to describe a forest...

I can't believe Hitchikers Guide is only at 51st place... :(
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:52 pm

If it was all that boring, it wouldn't have such a huge readership and such a long-lived fanbase. Tokien created an all-encompassing world, and for readers who want to be placed completely into the story as an experience instead of as just a good book, then it's not boring at all.

"The Silmarillion," however, was boring for me. I forced my way through it way back in the seventh grade, but I doubt I'll ever go there again.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:57 pm

That's a great list of books--some obvious ones that I was forced to read as a teenager in school (Brave New World, 1984, etc.) but some others that I didn't even know people knew about (Ender's Game at #59--an absolutely amazing book).

I'm glad to see my personal favorite author on the list (William Faulkner) with three of his novels. My personal favorite book of all time is his Light in August (#89 on the list).

Thanks for the list, Kwirl, I think I'm gonna be referencing it often.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:05 pm

Ashiwi wrote:If it was all that boring, it wouldn't have such a huge readership and such a long-lived fanbase. Tokien created an all-encompassing world, and for readers who want to be placed completely into the story as an experience instead of as just a good book, then it's not boring at all.

"The Silmarillion," however, was boring for me. I forced my way through it way back in the seventh grade, but I doubt I'll ever go there again.

I thought the Hobbit was far better than LoTR...

But yes, it is a matter of opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted a similar speech to yours responding to your disdain of the Silmarillion.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:28 pm

It would be interesting to know what slice of the population that poll came from. How in the world "Stranger in a Strange Land" beat out some of the other books there, like "The Invisible Man," "Animal Farm," "The Catcher in the Rye," "Grapes of Wrath," "The Lord of the Flies," "A Clockwork Orange," "Something Wicked this Way Comes," and on and on and on, just befuddles me.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed "Stranger in a Strange Land," but hardly see it as #16 in a century's worth of the written word. Can you grok it?

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:35 pm

Ashiwi wrote:It would be interesting to know what slice of the population that poll came from. How in the world "Stranger in a Strange Land" beat out some of the other books there, like "The Invisible Man," "Animal Farm," "The Catcher in the Rye," "Grapes of Wrath," "The Lord of the Flies," "A Clockwork Orange," "Something Wicked this Way Comes," and on and on and on, just befuddles me.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed "Stranger in a Strange Land," but hardly see it as #16 in a century's worth of the written word. Can you grok it?

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrar ... llist.html
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:47 pm

Why, thank you Birile.

Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:49 pm

Ashiwi wrote:It would be interesting to know what slice of the population that poll came from. How in the world "Stranger in a Strange Land" beat out some of the other books there, like "The Invisible Man," "Animal Farm," "The Catcher in the Rye," "Grapes of Wrath," "The Lord of the Flies," "A Clockwork Orange," "Something Wicked this Way Comes," and on and on and on, just befuddles me.

I grok a wrongness about it.
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Teej tells you 'I think they're deliberately outsourcing - trying to improve their genetics.'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:09 pm

Bleh, 1984 should have taken at least #2 easy. Also, why is "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" doing at #90??! Are they meaning to tell me "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is a better book? Pshaw!

Edit: I agree with the second list more...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
muma
Sojourner

like omg

Postby muma » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:34 am

Sarvis wrote:
I thought the Hobbit was far better than LoTR...

me too :)
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:40 pm

Treason > Enders Game

I love that book.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:31 am

I am surprised that le guinn is not on there anywhere... neither for earthsea or for the left hand of darkness...

edit: and battlefield earth does not belong at #3 for any reason. I dont even see it being on that list... certainly not better than enders game, or something wicked... or even farenheit 451.
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:39 am

dont confuse the movie with the book
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:53 pm

How Herman Hesse (especially "Das Glasperlenspiel"/"the glass bead game") didn't make the list is beyond me.

And some authors there gets a little too much credit I think. Sure Ayn is great, but shouldn't hold 4 of the 8 best spots.

Guess it doesn't have a focus on timeless novels. Animal farm will go into history, whereas 1984 won't.

Yaya, little polemic, I haven't read all the books in the list go figure.

Mabye I will consider reading L. Ron Hubbard. I never saw him as a novelist before.

--added 5 minutes later--
I think I figured it. It is only english novels. Makes perfect sense.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Re: For the literate gamer...

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:02 pm

kwirl wrote:Interestingly to me was that Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead held the 1&2 spots, respectively. while Tolkien got a miserly 4th place :(

I like Tolkien a lot, but I like The Fountainhead more than I like any other book in the world.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:47 pm

After seeing how pathetically misinformed some people around here are about politics and the economy, it occurs to me that Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead should probably be required reading for all public school students. :)

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:55 pm

Corth wrote:After seeing how pathetically misinformed some people around here are about politics and the economy, it occurs to me that Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead should probably be required reading for all public school students. :)

Corth

You're the one who said Bush's handling of the economy was negligent at best, Corth.

If you can say that and still vote for Bush, I think _you_ need the politics refresher.

By the way, what the hell does Rand's philosophical stories have to do with politics or economics? Seems like I'd be better off with an actual economics book...

Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:14 pm

What, no William Gibson, no Neal Stephenson, or Chuck Palahniuk?

Neuromancer - Gibson
Cryptonomicon - Stephenson
Invisable Monsters - Palahniuk

Some of the best damn books I've ever read.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:45 pm

I liked Fight Club better than I liked Invisible Monsters.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:01 pm

I liked Choke better than Fight Club!

!!x
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:34 am

my adolescent passion for tolkien aside, i don't think many works of fiction changed my perspective or moved me to reconsider my method of thought like fountainhead and atlas shrugged.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”