AMD64 Notebooks

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

AMD64 Notebooks

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:21 pm

Anyone purchase one of these from a big seller, or a customer seller? Curious about peoples experiences with them and where they picked them up at. Doing a little research when I get bored as this'll be the next system I probably pick up in the six months or so.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:53 pm

Nope, but from what I've heard they are pretty amazing.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:13 am

Arilin going the direction of A64? I thought 64 cpus where gay, arilin? Thought they weren't useful! I thought Intel was better?! You = gay and my rig > your rig...die.

Anyway, I'm not sure either. Depending on the socket type, I guess, you might run into some funny business. s939 isn't that mature yet, but the 90nm 3000+ and 3200+ winchester cores are doing really well in the temp and OC departments. I'd wait until the nForce4 chipset is a bit more mature before I bought a new A64 system... Also the winchester cores have been known to act a bit funny because of poopy bios.

I'd wait a few months to see NF4 chipsets to get out/better, funniness with the winchester cores to go away, or just deal with s754 if they're available...the nf3 chipset is wonderful...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:43 am

Kifle wrote:Arilin going the direction of A64? I thought 64 cpus where gay, arilin? Thought they weren't useful! I thought Intel was better?! You = gay and my rig > your rig...die.

My rig is better, thanks.

Notice I said laptop. This isn't a replacement, this is a toy. Get it right gayman.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:44 am

yeah right in 6 months he is going to be busting his ass 60+ hrs a week to keep me in bonbons ......
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:45 am

I have two main desktop systems: an Intel P4 3.0ghz system and an AMD Athlon64 3400+ system. So far I'm still thinking that the P4 is faster as far as I can perceive, but I've only had the A64 for less than a month, and I probably wouldn't have gotten it at all if Microsoft hadn't almost given it to me for next to free.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:53 am

P4's are faster at encoding and multi-media tasks while amd64's are better for gaming...

ps, your rig isn't better than mine, asshat...even in sexiness mine is still > yours.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:41 pm

Kifle wrote:P4's are faster at encoding and multi-media tasks while amd64's are better for gaming...

ps, your rig isn't better than mine, asshat...even in sexiness mine is still > yours.

In your dreams joker.
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:41 am

A friend of mine and I got to toy with an NForce4 SLI reference board and an FX-55...

We paired it up with two Asus PCIX 6800GT's... (It's all we had available)

Amazingly, when running the motherboard in SLI mode with both cards, we experienced an 80-85% increase in framerates. It was sick Sick SICK!!!

This is mostly because current games will only fill an AGP 4x bus and the rest of the bandwidth is just wasted. Thus when you make use of two cards the bonus in speed is as much from the use of both busses as it is from the use of the GPU's...

if you're waiting to build a new gaming system, this is what you have been waiting for. Most Nforce4 mobo's should hit north america in november...

I just know that I am in love with them already...
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:17 am

Kifle wrote:P4's are faster at encoding and multi-media tasks while amd64's are better for gaming...

That's probably why I notice the difference yeah. I don't play games much anymore. Mostly I use my PC to transcode DVDs, read email and of course download p0rn. Oh yeah, and laugh at arilin.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv

*~~~~~~~~~~*

"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:16 am

Iaiken Toransier wrote:A friend of mine and I got to toy with an NForce4 SLI reference board and an FX-55...

We paired it up with two Asus PCIX 6800GT's... (It's all we had available)

Amazingly, when running the motherboard in SLI mode with both cards, we experienced an 80-85% increase in framerates. It was sick Sick SICK!!!

This is mostly because current games will only fill an AGP 4x bus and the rest of the bandwidth is just wasted. Thus when you make use of two cards the bonus in speed is as much from the use of both busses as it is from the use of the GPU's...

if you're waiting to build a new gaming system, this is what you have been waiting for. Most Nforce4 mobo's should hit north america in november...

I just know that I am in love with them already...

PCI-X is server technology if I remember correctly. PCI-e are the new pci bus slots that work with the new graphics cards...Also, if you're going to fork over the cash to get an FX-55 and nForce4 MB, why not just get 2 Ultra's and not the GT's?

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:05 pm

Kifle wrote:PCI-X is server technology if I remember correctly. PCI-e are the new pci bus slots that work with the new graphics cards...

Wow Kifle is correct! omg!!!
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:19 pm

Kifle wrote:PCI-X is server technology if I remember correctly. PCI-e are the new pci bus slots that work with the new graphics cards...Also, if you're going to fork over the cash to get an FX-55 and nForce4 MB, why not just get 2 Ultra's and not the GT's?

Yeah, I typo'd... I just kinda wrote that on the fly and typed PCIX when I was as thinking of PCI Express. PCIX is pretty much obsolete anyway with PCI express XEON and Opteron boards coming down in price.

As for the GT's it was all we had handy, he's a hardware tester and he only had one Ultra on hand and two . As for the FX-55, he has to send it away again, he fried it doing some overclocked stability testing.

Personally, I run a single Saphire Radeon X800XT and its doing just fine thanks.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:58 pm

Btw PCI-X is certainly not obsolete. All of the high end server boards like raid5 and gigabit ethernet controlers are PCI-X 133 (or faster), which has a maximum bandwidth higher than a PCIe 4x slot. PCI-X also has much lower instruction overhead so your max bandwidth is closer to the theoretical limit than with PCIe.

The availability of PCIe motherboards with 4x or 8x slots are virtually non-existant, and so are PCIe versions of server end controler cards. Not to mention the bug that Intel has in their PCIe server chipset which renders the couple 1x and single 4x slot useless. Lucky for them they still have multiple PCI-X slots on those motherboards.

EDIT: Hey Sorry Arilin for hijacking the thread. Anyway if customer support isn't a big issue with you then check out the eMachines notebooks with the A64 chips.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:01 am

I'd wait for another 6 months, man. Watch the price of the FX-53 go down and see about gettin one of those...mmm that +nF4 would be sexy.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”