Counselors

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Elisten
Sojourner

Counselors

Postby Elisten » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:01 am

Is going to a counselor, for whatever reason... a good idea?

Just kinda would like other people's thoughts/ideas on that issue.

Thanks!
Eli 8)
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:29 am

Honestly, who cares what others think on this one? There are too many reasons to go to somebody for council. I don't think there is one person here (regardless what they say) who is qualified to give their opinion.

I'm not trying to offend anybody, but there are too many things that a person may need to talk to a complete stranger about because that stranger is unbiased.

I can remember an incident or two over OOC where a person or two tried to use us as their support group, admirable and courageous. . . .but I'll even admit that it is too easy of a target.

I guess I am trying to say that YES, going to somebody for help is a good thing, just not a thing I would ask the obviously well adjusted (sarcastic?) folks here about. I love them all, but I have to admit, if I see a nice open line of insult. . .I have to take it and I expect the same of the others. We wear armor in the game and we grow a thick skin IRL.
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:35 am

Sometimes it's nice to go see someone you can talk to, that you have no other connection to and is a neutral party, so that you can honestly and openly get out whatever is bothering you. I'd definately say counseling is a good option for a lot of things if you can afford it.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:43 am

Vigis wrote:I'm not trying to offend anybody, but there are too many things that a person may need to talk to a complete stranger about because that stranger is unbiased.

everyone is biased in one way or another.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:00 pm

Gura wrote:
Vigis wrote:I'm not trying to offend anybody, but there are too many things that a person may need to talk to a complete stranger about because that stranger is unbiased.

everyone is biased in one way or another.

yes but a stranger has no basis to judge based on personal experience ... a stranger would be more apt to *tell it like it is* than a friend or a known person
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:52 pm

Remember they're not all the same, and if you don't like one, find another.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:04 pm

It's a good idea as long as you can accept other people's opinions even if they don't correlate with yours. If you can't do this, you will just be pissing away your money and time. I went to counceling for rehab and 2 years of counceling for panic attacks caused by extended drug use. I can honestly say it is one of the better things I have decided to do. Good luck with whatever problem you are having, Eli.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:33 pm

I kinda disagree with Auril. Just because you don't like what you're hearing doesn't mean that you should find a new one. Don't use counselling as a crutch. Use it to get better. Ref: Janice in the Sopranos.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:21 pm

And try to remember that a great many people end up in the counselling business because they took psychology in school in an attempt to figure out their own issues.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
muma
Sojourner

yes

Postby muma » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:34 am

Yes

but finding a good counselor can be hard.

the nice thing is they can help you boost your self esteem and help you identify your problems better.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Sesexe
Sojourner

Re: Counselors

Postby Sesexe » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:13 pm

Elisten wrote:Is going to a counselor, for whatever reason... a good idea?

Sure is. Been thinking about doing this myself a lot lately especially since it is free on my insurance...

ThEsE pR3tz3lZ aR3 m4kInG mE tHiRsTy!!!!!!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:06 am

Personally, I was skeptical about the ability of councilors to help. How could the high and mighty understand my problems? But then Councilor Palatine showed that he had an excellent grasp of everyone's situation, and told me how to apply myself. I have never regretted it.

Sincerely,

Anakin Skywalker
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Xilar
Sojourner

Postby Xilar » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:32 pm

Going to see a counselor is pretty good idea. Make you understand things which you could not see before. However, they usually like to dope you for some wierd reason(s) (ie: depression, etc). Be cautious.
Yadir
Sojourner

Postby Yadir » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:02 am

I think going to a counselor can be a very good thing, particularly in terms of finding new solutions to old problems. We (human beings) often surround ourselves with people who think like we do. That way we feel more comfortable in our daily interactions with them and in living within our own skin. Unfortunately, this means they support us as we 'currently are' and reinforce who we believe we 'currently are'. That can be good and bad. Their relationship with us can impede change in ourselves.

When we are seeking change we often need to obtain new information to face challenges that seem insurmountable to us given what we currently know. We need a new point of view and new information. It helps for us to see a counselor because they don't know us as we have 'always been'. They are (hopefully) outside our circle of friends so they may have a very different point of view and new insight to share. They can come to know us objectively through couseling sessions. They can encourage us to change based upon what they hear from us and what they know.

In other words, sometimes a counselor can identify and tell us what we need to hear - and we can actually apply it because we believe they know something we don't (as opposed to our friend/spouse/etc whose opinion we discount when it conflicts with our own). Or maybe we try to listen and apply their insight because it's costing us $300 / hour and we'd hate to think that money is going to waste. :)

Return to “General Discussion Archive”