Dire Raiders

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Yarash
Sojourner

Dire Raiders

Postby Yarash » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:03 am

I'm looking for sources for information on dire raiders. I'm having such a hard time I'll even offer a reward if someone can come up with a good source of information.

- Mike
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:21 am

Dire Raiders.. Battlechanters.. Warriors.. mmmm Warcraft 3 orcs maybe? *whistles innocently*
Vorkul Tigerclaw
Sojourner

Re: Dire Raiders

Postby Vorkul Tigerclaw » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:23 am

Yarash wrote:I'm looking for sources for information on dire raiders. I'm having such a hard time I'll even offer a reward if someone can come up with a good source of information.

- Mike

Uh well, here goes....

Dires are more melee-orientated than rangers. They get like a 5% bonus or something close to that. They can max mounted combat to 99, they can max archery to 99(unlike rangers). Their spell repetoire is more offensive in nature than a rangers, and not quite as useful. Skills like howl and flank are pretty useful, though from my experience, not very dependable(especially howl). Mounted combat is great to have when dualing, it increases tanking ability by a good bit, but has no effect what so ever on archery that I can tell. Eq is pretty easy to find for them....they can use items like demon-skull face mask, which is anti and dire only. Naturally they can wield heavier weapons than most rangers (even human ones), but they get no extra attack. It still takes atleast 3 max strength to wield a decently heavy weapon off hand.

Low levels with dires....if you have a good set of eq you can solo your way up pretty easily. They can use slender elven longbows, and you can buy semi-decent arrows in baldurs gate. During the low levels stick to melee, use a mount when you can, try to get high ac(same goes for any other warrior/hitter class). You can sometimes do runs on a mob by running in, shooting them, running out, running in and firing again...if you have the arrows to spare (at low levels arrows will break...alot).

During mid levels you will usually be readily accepted with experience groups....as archery does decent damage and sucks up less exp than vokage does. Archery also makes exp easy, but be careful, use it too much and your other skills will suck.

At 40+ zoneage levels you'll get groups just cuz well....evils are cool like that. Unless you are a whiny prick or an asshole. Vokers outdamage them by far.....warriors (especially trolls) own them easily. Just play it cool though, and you'll get invited to do stuff. They make a quick backup tank in a pinch, and can manage some pretty high ac with a shield (but still no contest to a troll).

They are sorta like a ranger/ap combo....better than rangers imo, but not quite as specialized as an AP.

Any questions?

P.S.:Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for.....
Nuada GCC: 'what the heck is a khanjari'
Dudle GCC: 'it's a new player class'
Azerost GCC: 'Imagine for a second that they jammed Drizzt into a dagger'
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:57 am

dires are anti-paladins with a ranger mounted combat defensive and archery. to summarize :-P
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:30 am

Thank you, Vorkul. Your response is useful and if you find me in the game I will give you a reward.

I am mostly looking for further information though; general information about dire raiders...basically role play information. Just information on what they do, what they like to wear, what it takes to become a dire raider, their role/rank in the clan, common tasks/tests, etc. Any non-toril reference would be great. I'm looking for URLs or references to books, or just someone to chat with who has read a lot of books. I did a google search on dire raider and was surprised to find nothing at all.

- Mike
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:49 am

They do seige damage, so use them to attack buildings. Also their ensnare ability, with good micro, can let you take enemy melee/air units out of the fight, as well as, help you pick off running units. Ensnare can also disable spell channelling. They are also among the fastest units on land. However, in general they are not a unit to build an army around.

They are included in some strategies, with variable amounts of success. One includes creating an army solely of raiders, using hit and run tactics to take out an enemy building and escape while the enemy attempts to return. Both their speed and ensare aids in their escape. While not a core strategy, it serves as a moderate diversionary tactic.

Hope that helps.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:16 am

Yarash wrote:I am mostly looking for further information though; general information about dire raiders...basically role play information. Just information on what they do, what they like to wear, what it takes to become a dire raider, their role/rank in the clan, common tasks/tests, etc. Any non-toril reference would be great. I'm looking for URLs or references to books, or just someone to chat with who has read a lot of books. I did a google search on dire raider and was surprised to find nothing at all.

All the Warcraft 3 references are not entirely sarcastic. That game IS about the only place that orcs on wolves was done in detail and dires were announced for the MUD not long after that game came out so the mental link between the two is pretty cemented. You're not going to find any references to them in D&D material since they've never existed in D&D material. D&D has much more use for hordes of orcs on foot than a cadre of orcs with trusted mounts and a reverence for the spirits.

I'd be glad to share the Warcraft 3 lore regarding wolf raiders (even the unit name from WC3 is similar to dire raiders) and I'm sure others could do the same, but WC3 isn't a standard fantasy world despite having many trappings of one so most of that world's orc culture wouldn't really fit here.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:45 am

Thank you Hyldryn and Treladian. That really clears this up. I just assumed every class here would be from forgotten realms / D&D. Please tell to me the next time you see me. I do not need any further info on this.

- Mike
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:41 pm

worg riders are sort of like what you look for, and there are tons of references for those
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:12 am

Disoputlip wrote:worg riders are sort of like what you look for, and there are tons of references for those

Those are typically goblins though, not orcs. Worgs are too small to support orc riders being only medium size themselves. Plus, worgs themselves are intelligent creatures capable of speech, something that makes the relationship between them and goblins quite different from a rider and a more 'normal' animal.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”