Thanks to Everyone

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
kwirl
Sojourner

Thanks to Everyone

Postby kwirl » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:35 pm

First of all, I just wanna say you guys kick ass - I think I love this mud so much because of the awesome technical support on the forums. :D

Second, does anyone know the text for a windows 98 boot.ini file :P I lost mine trying to delete a win2000 from a 2k/98 dual boot system.

Yes, I know, but still :P I kinda corrupted the boot.ini and it tries to load up the now non-existent winnt directory
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:26 pm

Straight from microsoft:

Code: Select all

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Google is your friend.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... &sd=tech#4
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/bootini.shtml

To my knowledge, there is no boot.ini file on windows 98, and if you are having problems booting, that's probably why.

Hard to tell from the descrip but sounds like windows 2000 boot files are still on the MBR. Depends what you wanna do.

If you have win2k, and justt want that, then you can use the utilities to fix the MBR. There are 2 ways:

Boot from your win2000 CD, get into the command prompt and type:

fixmbr

Or if you truly only have windows 98 left on the drive, boot from a windows 98 cd, and type:

fdisk /mbr

If you post more what actually happened, might be able to help you fix it. I just searched a win98 comp here for a boot.ini, wasn't one on it.

good luck
Wobb
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:40 pm

thanks, ill yank the boot.ini and repair the boot record

i'd never split a dual boot system :)
kwirl
Sojourner

Web Site Forwarding

Postby kwirl » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:17 pm

I own a handful of domain names, and one of them I actually build and maintain a site for. I have my own server and bandwidth, etc - but im sitting here today and i want to forward the other domain names to point to this one.

Now, im at register.com looking at my list of domain names, but it occurs to me that what i want to do is just slap some kind of tags into the html of the sites that i own. i've never done this with a new domain, so im not sure exactly how the hell i access my stuff, do i have to add these sites to my server's list?

Return to “General Discussion Archive”