New study finds playing Toril can make you more attractive.

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Goondock
Sojourner

Postby Goondock » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:48 pm

By Thomas Fernweather, December 28th 2005, AP

In 1996 Dr. Thomas Ebert wanted to prove that addictive text-based games, commonly known as MUDs (Multi User Dungeons) can actually make you a more attractive to people of the opposite sex. It was an unusual endeavor that took months and months of grant writing and proposals to generate funding for.

In late 1998 Dr. Ebert had assembled a team of scientists and some $5 million dollars in federal and private funds for his research. Compiling players for the initial tests had been easy. Free room and board, access to Toril and 24-hour room service meant that players like John Walsh were able to devote more time to playing than anyone else. “I originally was shocked when Dr. Ebert confronted me on the subject” John said “I never thought something like this was possible. I mean, playing a MUD and getting paid for it”.

While John has it easy, Dr. Ebert was struggling to devise effective methods for testing his theory. Bringing in an assortment of males and females who had no previous knowledge of what a MUD is, he introduced them to his test subjects in an attempt to create ‘sparks’.

“Initially things didn’t go over so well. Our player sample simple had no interest in paying attention to these outside influences and for the most part ignored them” Dr Ebert said. However after several months of exposure it became apparent to Dr. Ebert that something interesting was happening, his outside subjects were becoming more persistent.

After several months of exposure, Dr. Ebert’s outside subjects began to get desperate for attention, often spending hours in an attempt to pull players away from their habit. Over the course of his research, Dr. Ebert spoke with his outside subjects, asking them about what they thought of their respective players.

“Our findings are quite interesting. It seems our outside subjects are actually more attracted to our player sample then we initially expected. When we would ask these subjects why that was the case the response was often the same – they are so hard to get, it makes them irresistible”

So after a few years of study Dr. Ebert is finally publishing his findings in an attempt to market it as a new way for attracting mates. “We feel with the right approach this could be a new way for many shy Americans to meet people. Our hopes is that with some more research we can develop this to be a modern platform for dating”

But what of the players, who seem to so absorbed by these games that they have little to no interest in chit chat with people of the opposite sex. “I don’t mind I guess, it is kind of nice to have someone watching you play. You always know they’ll be there waiting for you when your finally tired of doing Muspelheim for the 3rd time in a day” said Tony Babcock, an avid player who spends most of his time playing a Dwarf warrior.

“It’s certainly exciting to see my theory’s proven in a scientific setting. I never would have expected such stunning results” Dr. Ebert said. With another year coming to a close, Dr. Ebert said he is excited to begin his next phase of research before finally publishing his results in a book he has entitled “When TEXT makes you hot” due out in fall of 2005.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:29 am

Gormal is proof enough that this theory is incorrect!

Sorry jake! I'm sure somebody think's yer..not TOO ugly..or something

Love,
Gregory
Snurgt
Sojourner

Re: New study finds playing Toril can make you more attracti

Postby Snurgt » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:01 am

Goondock wrote: December 28th 2005, AP

Is this one o' them cool new future predicting AP news reports?
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:10 pm

Dang it!

and for a second, i almost had an excuse of why i mud so much.

oh well back to the drawer bored.

sok

Return to “General Discussion Archive”