Diary of a Brisbane summer

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
ssar
Sojourner

Diary of a Brisbane summer

Postby ssar » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:51 am

Diary of a Brisbane summer (by a Pom)

August 31

Just got transferred with work into our new home in Brisbane!! Now this is a city that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings.
What a place! I watched the sunset from a deck chair on the verandah. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

September 13

Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

September 30

Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

October 10

The temperature hasn't been below 30 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least today it's kind of windy though, but getting used to the heat and humidity is taking longer that I expected.

October 15th

Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed 3 days of work. What a daft thing to do. I learnt my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

October 20

I didn't see Kitty our cat, sneaking into the car before I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at lunchtime, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank out $3,000 worth of leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like Wiskettes and cat shit. I learnt my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

October 25

The wind gives me the shits. It feels like a giant bloody blow dryer!! And it's as hot as hell. The air conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30

Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $450,000 house and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

November 4

It's 35 degrees. Finally got the ol' air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 25, but this bloody humidity makes the house feel like it's about 30. Stupid repairman. I hate this bloody place.

November 8

If another smartarse says, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to throttle him. Bloody heat. By the time I get to work the car's radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

November 9

Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car. I thought my arse was on fire. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried arse, and baked cat.

November 10

The weather report might as well be a bloody recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week!
Doesn't it ever rain in this damn place? Water rationing will be next, so my $2,000 worth of palms will dry up and blow into the bloody pool. Even the palms can't live in this heat.

November 14

Welcome to HELL!!! Temperature got to 38 today. Now the air conditioner in my car has gone. The repairman came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $2,500 house payment to bail my arse out of jail for assaulting the repairman.
Bloody Brisbane. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here?

December 1

WHAT????? This is the first day of summer???? You are f***ing kidding!

(Note, temperatures: 30 C = 96 F, and 40 C = 104 F)
BEER
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:31 pm

30 C = 86 F

Return to “General Discussion Archive”