in the cage forever

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Larem
Sojourner

in the cage forever

Postby Larem » Thu May 19, 2005 5:44 pm

bad enough i get caged at all, but adding insult to injury, i'm informed i cannot get out till i speak with shar.........i work 2nd shift, i haven't seen shar in over 4 months........is this cruel and unusual punishment from an admin who's got it in for me for reasons other than the mud?

speaking of admins, whut's with all this: i'm gonna do something, cage/silence/ect. and tell u if you got a problem with it, talk to shar, instead of explaining your actions? see above for the problem with passin the buck onto shar...........

then there's coders that open discussions to talk about the new code, then ignore people talkin about it, on the basis it wasn't something from homeland......do we really have segregation here? or are some coders just sperate minded when it comes to stuff like that, or, are they not allowed to touch/fix/modify toril zones?

speaking of zones, whut ever happened to testing before stuff goes in? typos, bad coding, and missing ansi comands everywhere!

oh well, time fer work, go about your daily lives
"When you close your eyes, is it hell that you see?" Ghost, Ginger Snaps 2
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Thu May 19, 2005 8:58 pm

All I have to say is...WoW.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Re: in the cage forever

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Thu May 19, 2005 10:00 pm

Larem wrote:bad enough i get caged at all, but adding insult to injury, i'm informed i cannot get out till i speak with shar.........i work 2nd shift, i haven't seen shar in over 4 months........is this cruel and unusual punishment from an admin who's got it in for me for reasons other than the mud?

speaking of admins, whut's with all this: i'm gonna do something, cage/silence/ect. and tell u if you got a problem with it, talk to shar, instead of explaining your actions? see above for the problem with passin the buck onto shar...........

then there's coders that open discussions to talk about the new code, then ignore people talkin about it, on the basis it wasn't something from homeland......do we really have segregation here? or are some coders just sperate minded when it comes to stuff like that, or, are they not allowed to touch/fix/modify toril zones?

speaking of zones, whut ever happened to testing before stuff goes in? typos, bad coding, and missing ansi comands everywhere!

oh well, time fer work, go about your daily lives

So uh what did you do to get caged? I noticed you left that little tidbit of information out.

Been muding here almost 4 years now, and never once have I been treated unfairly by the staff. If you got caged, chances are you deserve it. Be respectful, don't break rules. Don't get caged. Pretty simple to follow.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu May 19, 2005 10:46 pm

This sounds like my kids when I put them on restriction ..

"mom can I be done yet"

5 minutes later

"mom can I be done yet"

wash rinse repeat :)
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri May 20, 2005 2:56 am

Ambar wrote:This sounds like my kids when I put them on restriction ..

"mom can I be done yet"

5 minutes later

"mom can I be done yet"

wash rinse repeat :)

Thought you beat your kids with tree branches.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 am

shhh .. don't tell ALL my secrets!!!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri May 20, 2005 2:31 pm

No, she reserves that punishment for mike.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri May 20, 2005 9:34 pm

but he likes it!
Larem
Sojourner

Postby Larem » Sat May 21, 2005 5:44 am

well, since you people wanna know what i did to be caged, i'll fill you in

besides the fact the god that put me there has it in for me anyway............

shailia was talking about the evermeet zones on gcc, since i was the first elf there, and explored it for >12 hours, i figured i'd give my input on things, somewhere along the lines, i compaired a particular part of a zone: the moving portal that you hafta hunt for to enter the zone, to tiamat, where you had to enter a portal, i hinted at what a pain it would be if tiamat had the same random moving portal in an oddly shaped grid of > 50 rooms.

this prompted a negative response from shailia since she only seemed to care about the "homeland" part of the new evermeet code and everything else was deemed "off topic"

because of this, she went and whined to gorm, who hates me as it is, for more reasons than just being a pc and he's a god, which i won't get into on this discussion. gorm deemed it necessary to silence me since i couldn't keep on topic, when infact, nothing i said was off of topic, unless making a comparassion of new code to exisiting code is off topic........

he then told me, if i had a problem with it, to talk with shar, as mentioned in my first post, i never see shar. and to make things worse, u can't mwrite while silenced. so, i log on another charactor, to get some answers as to why i was silenced and the bullcrap reason he gave. apparently this made him mad, because he then passed the buck again, fully taking zero responsibility for his actions by saying: if you got a problem with it, talk to shar.

so i responded in the only way you can to authority figures who are full of their own self rightious crap.........i send up a petition that said: eat me d**k

next thing i know, i'm in the cage, and he comes in and starts trying to get me to stop being mad at being punished because a homeland god, an area god mind you, didn't wanna talk about parts of the new evermeet code that weren't from homeland, and because this particular admin seemed to wanna do stuff to me w/o ever having a good reason.

so of course, when he offered to teleport me back out, if i calm down, i calmly replied: if you let me out, i've got a world of bitching left to do for this crap, so he left me in there

this, ambar and nurpy, is why i was in the cage, because of a glitch, i got out, i care not if they put me back in, i know i was in there for 2 days for no good reason, and now you do too, well, you know most of the story now, the personal stuff between myself and gorm, least the way i see it, i'm keeping to myself.
Larem
Sojourner

Postby Larem » Sat May 21, 2005 5:48 am

Snurgt wrote:All I have to say is...WoW.

sorry yo, no way i'm gonna waste money payin for something i could rarely do, with all the overtime i'm putting in at work, besides, if i wanted to pay for an online game, i'd pick a better one than WoW
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat May 21, 2005 12:09 pm

I'm sure there is more to the story than is written here, but .. authority figures exist .. we have to deal with it

this is a game we CHOSE to play for FREE

if we fail to follow the rules, we get punished

who are YOU to decide when you get punished?

I wasn't there, I don't know what ALL transpired, I just am an outsider looking in ...

/rant
OFF TPOIC:
(Blah keep in mind I been in thge military for a LONG time .. This is how we are trained .. the way you reacted is quite typical of things I see happening in the Navy these days .. quite honestly it is the way I see the mud going .. people asking too many why's and not enough .. ok .. you are the guys who make the rules I messed up I will take care of my end)
/rant
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat May 21, 2005 5:34 pm

Larem wrote:sorry yo, no way i'm gonna waste money payin for something i could rarely do, with all the overtime i'm putting in at work, besides, if i wanted to pay for an online game, i'd pick a better one than WoW

:(
Gorm
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Gorm » Sun May 22, 2005 2:35 am

I will not respond to the specifics of Larim’s current issue because I do not believe in airing anyone’s ‘dirty laundry’ so to speak, in public. I would like to say a few things about one of his comments.

The thought that myself or any other admin in the current administration is targeting any player because they do not like them or have a ‘non mud related issue with them’ is laughable.

Most folks that have dealt with me understand that I don’t have the time or the desire to maintain personal ‘vendettas’ against any player. In over ten years of mudding and being involved in online communities, I’ve learned that it’s not worth the energy that some people put into it. In addition, I understand that most players are here to have a good time.

As Administrators on this mud, we signed on to uphold the rules and regulations set forth by the Forgers. There are those that are always going to ‘disagree with that’ or see it as a ‘personal attack against them’ whenever they find themselves in trouble. For those people, a post by me on the BBS is not going to change that. They have their own preconceived notions that they will maintain no matter how much evidence to the contrary is presented. That is their loss.

Whether you are my best friend in the world, or someone I’ve never met, you’ll be treated fairly as far as I am concerned. That does not mean you’ll be treated ‘lightly’ if you violate the rules, but what it does mean is that until your actions get you in trouble, chances are I’m not going to ‘come looking for you’ or ‘try to get you in trouble.’

The biggest mistake many people here and in online communities in general make is that when they get themselves in trouble they lie, try to deflect blame to someone else, make excuses, whatever, in order to try and justify their actions in their own mind or within their circle of friends. Its far more work than simply accepting that “hey, I made a mistake”, learning from it and working to ensure it does not transpire again. Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes, we all have lapses in judgment and many of us have tried to ‘cheat the system’ in order to garner some sort of personal gain. However, where I come from, when you get caught, you own up to it and deal with the consequences.

Nobody forces the criminal to commit a crime, nobody forces the drug addict to use, they all make a choice and when you make a choice, you need to live with the consequences of that choice.

Now, TorilMUD is not real life and neither the actions nor the consequences are as dire as they are in real life, but the basic concept of action = consequences/reaction is the same.

What I would caution you as players against is taking every incident where you find yourself in such a situation as a personal attack. More often than not, if you detach yourself from the situation for a few moments and consider if it were someone else, telling you about the situation as it actually transpired you would realize that it is not such.(A difficult thing to do, I know.)

We live in a society of rules and regulations which we all have to abide by, lest we find ourselves on the wrong side of the law. We also play on an online game that has rules and regulations which are much the same.

The greater good and enjoyment of the game to the entire populace will always outweigh the wishes, desires and aspirations of individual members of the community. In addition, there are people here who are charged with ensuring that basic principal is enforced, not because you are disliked personally but because you made a conscious choice to be part of the community and in doing so agreed to the rules and regulations that exist here. Keep that in mind when you make a decision or a statement and I guarantee your stay here is going to be far lest frustrating and far more enjoyable.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”