A GREAT day for the USAF!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Thilindel
Sojourner

A GREAT day for the USAF!

Postby Thilindel » Fri May 27, 2005 4:51 am

My best friend since hs just got promoted. He's been flying jets since he was 16. Trouble is, it's hard to say his title and not crack up. As of November 1, 2005, he will be known as 'Major Woode' at Indian Springs, NV. Yay him, at least it'll spread cheer around the base!
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri May 27, 2005 10:33 am

When he kicks back at mach 2 thinking how great it is, may he get major wood.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:19 pm

*roll* Youre not even allowed to enlist before you are 18 (ignoring major wartime operations), let alone fly a jet. come on, get real.

My dad was Major Major Major Major Major. We are still looking for Yosarian, who went looking for Orr, who officially didnt go anywhere as officially he was blown up when his plane crashed, officially, nowhere near to Sweden.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:34 pm

daggaz wrote:*roll* Youre not even allowed to enlist before you are 18 (ignoring major wartime operations), let alone fly a jet. come on, get real.

My dad was Major Major Major Major Major. We are still looking for Yosarian, who went looking for Orr, who officially didnt go anywhere as officially he was blown up when his plane crashed, officially, nowhere near to Sweden.

I enlisted 10 days after my 17th birthday *shrug* only needed parents approval ... he could have had private flying lessons, and known someone who knew someone who let him fly in jets .. we have civilians fly in ours all the time ...

why the hell is everyone so negative and disbelieving .. he also may have had papers or whatever saying he was 18+ ...
digov
Sojourner

Postby digov » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:57 pm

I'll agree with Ambar here. Its quite possible and quite easy. Most states only require you to be 16 to get a pilots license and thats ON the books, you can learn to fly before that if you know people and they're willing to risk it.

And you can enlist in the military at 17 with a written letter of consent from your parents.

Pretty cool for your friend Thilindel.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:19 pm

Heh, good old Colorado. They let you get away with a lot. At Purdue, my instructor, Mike Nolan, would bring his kids in and have them fly. They weren't even teens. As for as the 50k lb thrust jets, Purdue is a bit lacking :P

Return to “General Discussion Archive”