Really Really Old Players

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Brunthar
Sojourner

Really Really Old Players

Postby Brunthar » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:12 am

For some strange reason I started thinking about this MUD today, so I figured I'd see if it's still around. I guess its still alive and kicking.

Out of curiousity, are there are any really really old school players still here? I would say from back around 1996? If you remember the names Serro, Brunthar, Wug, Garosh, Kulak, Xyzom, Sao, Tryth..Isao...I cant remember half the names anymore. But if you remember any of those...or if any of those guys are still playing, drop me a line.

I was Brunthar on the old old sojourn before the split into Duris (at which time I left this mud)
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Re: Really Really Old Players

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:25 am

Sao is no longer among us :(
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:14 am

Brunthar sounds kinda familiar, were you a cleric back then?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:34 am

I was around back then. Some of those names sound familiar.
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:55 pm

I remember all of those names, but I was just a little guy back then.

Give it up for Legion of Chaos! Woot!
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:49 pm

I remember you. You were amoung the first to get level 50. I'd like to say, THE first, but some other people debated me on this.

I was involved in the Dragonia Incident which ate a good portion of your eq. I know it ate all of mine! I didn't have multiple sets at that point in time.

There are some of us old skoolers left. I started playing the original sojourn in 1994. I was very tiny, but I finally attained level 50 two years later, then a small time after that - pwipe.

I'd love for someone to post a good timeline of the name changes, splits, and pwipes (plural).
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:06 pm

Some of that is available here, off our main homepage :)

http://www.torilmud.org/mainabout.htm

It doesn't list some of the epic events of our history though, namely the famous Dragonnia eq purge and the infamous roots and cc spanks back in the days. It also doesn't mention the Dream.
Eilistraee
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:38 pm

Cool! So the first pwipe occured sometime in 1993 I think.

The 2nd was between 1998 and 2001?

That would put Chaos Christmas sometime around 1996.

The Dream wouldn't be too far away from even either.

Dragonia would have to be in the winter/spring of 1997.

Does that sound about right?

Other timeline event that need estimates:

Crynus (?sp?) disentegrating doombringer
Tagad soloing the chlora dragon with his hammer
Ilshadrial first being given "Fade" his uber that dagger that did everything.
The banning of the Europeans.
Outcasting introduced! (The end of evilrace and goodrace combo groups)
Trade introduced!
Trade taken away!
When you could no longer mem in battle (affected many fights)
When you could no longer mem in battle when the room was silenced!
When the silence spell was changed to silence person (it affected how many, many fights were done)
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:13 pm

Aye I remember those days... I think I started in 1994/5 or so just before Sojourn became Toril. When Sojourn 2 disappeared I moved to Basternae and then Duris before arriving back here as a ptester at the beginning of Sojourn3 (dwarven paladin with 45,000 hps drool :p)...

While some names have changed and the playing dynamic is different, the game still holds the same mystique and challenges for me.

So, level up a character and check out the new zones. The level of creativity in zone writing has only increased over the years. Sometimes, I'm like 'how'd they code that?'. After playing here for 9-10 years, I still haven't seen it all and new changes are always just around the bend...
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:02 am

I started playing in summer of 1996. I remember Chaos Christmas, but not The Dream. I can't speak to any of the artifact things, but when I was playing:

Ilshadrial had Fade, that I remember.
Outcasting was in.
Trade was introduced during Sojourn 2, in 1999.
Trade was removed later that year.
You could not mem in battle.
Silence was changed during Sojourn 2, after the removal of monks, when Invokers were made the primary damage dealers.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:02 am

What I remember in no particular order.

Remember Dragonnia, Zenak took me there when I was pretty new. Was removed not long after.

Remember Myranthea/Breale, spent a lot of my 20-30 time there. Was also removed not lnog after. (Id come back in a heartbeat if these zones ever came back! WTB satchel of songs)

Remember the dream, lost a ton of levels and gear thanks to that.

I remember when evils could get to EM, wasn't odd to see a troll or ogre in tinkers campin for the shoes.

I remember watching a buffalo bend Tagad over and make him a bitch. :)

Remember both Crynus AND Savorina disintegrating doombringer, Kyntara came close.

Remember the Eye v. CS tia race where Kalsor got avernus.

Remember when Tenen got doomie from the pyro-hydra.

Remember several spell-quests, pretty sure I had the last one before the code-change.

And you can't mention Legion without mentionin Wabook, who eventually became my spell-whore on Darkover.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:44 pm

Reading about some of the great stories of the past makes it even more apparent to me that this mud needs artifacts and difficult cr's.

</hijack>

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:16 pm

Word

</hijack>
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:55 pm

Keep the CR the same, but bring back the Artifacts.
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:46 am

Remember me? 8)
Azuth OOC: 'and a pic of Slavan's clutch: priceless'
Malar OOC: '<worn on head> Slavan's black lacy thong, with a huge racing stripe in it'
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:19 am

Artifacts are to arbitrary. Who get em? The Elites? Those in Elite only Guilds? God friends? who?

I am not a fan of anything so arbitrary and planned out.

There are plenty of people that deserve them that dont fit the Elite and Elite Guild, or God friend mold.

More Elitism and Elite attitudes is not what this mud needs. That attitude is not what helps or keeps new players

Just my opinion,

Nilan
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:44 am

Artifacts may represent elitism, but I can't remember the last time someone told me about a legendary event on Sojourn.

I don't consider the god-run quests to be legendary in any degree, because the events were somewhat scripted and the people involved more or less selected. The Sojourn Campaign was more like a broadway play about war than actual fighting in the trenches.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:53 am

Ragorn wrote:Artifacts may represent elitism, but I can't remember the last time someone told me about a legendary event on Sojourn.

I don't consider the god-run quests to be legendary in any degree, because the events were somewhat scripted and the people involved more or less selected. The Sojourn Campaign was more like a broadway play about war than actual fighting in the trenches.

Lilithelle .. Scorps ..
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:11 am

Ambar wrote:
Ragorn wrote:Artifacts may represent elitism, but I can't remember the last time someone told me about a legendary event on Sojourn.

Lilithelle .. Scorps ..

Mangina?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:51 am

I have to say that I don't entirely disagree with your assertions about the recently run rp-quest campaign.

But I do have to say I did get to play a fairly unique and interesting role that didn't quite fit any script (yes, including risking the death of my character).

Perosnally, I don't mind elitism at all on this mud. But it may be because I've been spending more hours on it lately.
vallis
Sojourner

Postby vallis » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:08 pm

I remember you, Brunthar.

I was Vallis back then, the (i'm sure) irritating little necromancer.

Also I was Keslak the barbarian, and Slyvarius the human warrior.

Slyvarius was in the mailed fist, and Vallis was in Ahk Elamshin.

You and Garosh took me on my first run through the UD, amongst other things we did.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:22 am

Ambar wrote:Lilithelle .. Scorps ..

You win a cookie for that. Lilithelle wins two.
- Ragorn
vallis
Sojourner

Postby vallis » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:40 am

I remember when Myranthea was first added to the game, it had such an overwhelming amount of items that the whole mud lagged.

I remember globals about Serro having so much equipment in his bags that HE lagged the whole game.

From what I remember, Bjorte was the first level 50.. and then Garosh/Rand/Brunthar followed shortly thereafter.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:46 pm

Bugged bags during S2 that would let you carry infinite weight. Waelos had a bag that had so much stuff in it that it dropped my link when I looked in it. I put 1000 iron rations in a buckskin pack, and later, I paid my trade debt using a bugged bag with one million copper pieces in it.
- Ragorn
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:12 pm

Craziness. I've always thought it would be great if Toril could produce a History of Sojourn - all the wipes, all the major fights, all the guild politics, all the legendary spanks and twinks, everything.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:33 pm

Dang, Mori ... for YOU alone that'd be volumes!

*grin*
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Hello!

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:32 am

I was in Legion of Chaos with some of those names you mentioned Brunthar. Just spoke to Modu a couple of days ago on the mud actually. Glad to see you back.

P.S. Forgot Garosh duckponding Doombringer also. :P

And just to add some points for us rangers, I killed one of the white dragons in Tiamat once with just one arrow. :P (**BUG**)

~

Adriorn Darkcloak
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: Hello!

Postby Ragorn » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:23 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:And just to add some points for us rangers, I killed one of the white dragons in Tiamat once with just one arrow. :P (**BUG**)

And you broke the class for the rest of us for a decade to come :D
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:11 pm

moritheil wrote:Craziness. I've always thought it would be great if Toril could produce a History of Sojourn - all the wipes, all the major fights, all the guild politics, all the legendary spanks and twinks, everything.

That would be an awesome idea. I've played here for a good 10-11 years, and I'm completely ignorant to a lot of things that happend on this mud during the first few years since I only made it to lvl 32 and the only high levelers I knew were thonel and karaz.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Thengil
Sojourner

Postby Thengil » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:39 am

I used to play back then, Raiwen might remember me ;)

Paladins summoning Griffons, those were the days...
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:57 pm

Thengil!! Long time no see!

Look me up as any of the below! :)
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:48 pm

Thengil wrote:Paladins summoning Griffons, those were the days...

they do that again, now :)
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:07 pm

Brunthar wrote:For some strange reason I started thinking about this MUD today, so I figured I'd see if it's still around. I guess its still alive and kicking.

Out of curiousity, are there are any really really old school players still here? I would say from back around 1996? If you remember the names Serro, Brunthar, Wug, Garosh, Kulak, Xyzom, Sao, Tryth..Isao...I cant remember half the names anymore. But if you remember any of those...or if any of those guys are still playing, drop me a line.

I was Brunthar on the old old sojourn before the split into Duris (at which time I left this mud)

I am one of the old school players, I just don't mud anymore. (haven't mudded since.....blah! can't remember anymore) But I do remember the names you mentioned.

okay, so that's a bit hazey, too....but ya.....

:blush:

:)
When poverty comes knocking on your door, love escapes through the window.

-German Proverb-
Mistari
Sojourner

Postby Mistari » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:49 am

Speaking of old players and old school ... I managed to muddle my way through the internet and back to the place it all began... My old old old home !!!

I am Mistari/Thydyl, Mistari being a old school level 46~ Barb warrior, and Thydyl being a 50~ Dorf Conjie, back when Dorf could still play with magic, kinda old school ?

I am just looking please for any of the folks I used to play with, mostly if anyone remembers these folks , Rythas, Lithel, Maelgwyn, Soth, Dalar, Dalarian, Zymir, Zymar, and maybe anyone from i believe it was that wonderful barb clan (the name escapes me), or the order of the rose ... , and anyone from the old old OLD school, before the original mud split, in the early 90's... I am alive, kicking and well, still and am looking foward to getting back into the mud and doing whatever I can to enjoy it and help everyone else enjoy, if that needs to include RP then so be it. Anyway, just email me, its public, I changed it to my new one, and all is well. Look forward to hearing from ANY of you old schoolers that want to get back into the swing or can gimme a brief rundown (reading 6 years of news and forums), is a KILLER... !

Thanks all and look forward to meeting you all over again !

After reading, I figure this will suffice, hi Rylan and hi Ragorn, and Adriorn too, omg wow, Rylan, I have not seen you in oh, 8 years + ? When you read this, drop me a line ! You too Ragorn, I am so happy to see 2 of the most welcome familiar faces I ever could have hoped. Adriorn, I just will say hello my friend, and I hope life has been well for you, and I would LOVE to sit and chat about the old days !

-- With a happy smile and a quick hand.... :)
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:36 pm

Heh, the name of the clan was Pride of the Sabertooth :) Some of the best times of my mudding career were in that clan.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Jaeron
Sojourner

Postby Jaeron » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:26 am

Yeah.. It's worse than I thought. Soooo many names! Ahh the days of Mailed Fist and Eye Aeternum, long before the splits, long before the end of my mudding career. I'm creating a char right now just to see how many of you guys still actively play. Right now, I'm playing WoW, but pretty much waiting for Vanguard at this point and time. Anyway, good to see all the familiar names, I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of reading at work the next few days. :P

Jaeron -Shadowstalker, Merc for Hire, at your service.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:15 pm

I remember sitting in wd and Tagad offered to give me some mace and skull platemail if i'd shout that his god was the best or something. heh... Wanderlust forever!
Glaman
Sojourner

Postby Glaman » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:04 pm

Oh the old dayz. Back when a glowing silverish scimitar was a pretty nice weapon to have as a warrior!

Glaman is still around muddling in the dark waters.

Glaman.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:36 pm

Sundara wrote:
Brunthar wrote:For some strange reason I started thinking about this MUD today, so I figured I'd see if it's still around. I guess its still alive and kicking.

I am one of the old school players, I just don't mud anymore. (haven't mudded since.....blah! can't remember anymore) But I do remember the names you mentioned.

okay, so that's a bit hazey, too....but ya.....

:blush:

:)

S L I M E

PS Kifle sucks
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:41 pm

Dalar wrote:PS Kifle sucks

He raised his prices 8(
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:27 pm

Thilindel wrote:
Dalar wrote:PS Kifle sucks

He raised his prices 8(

So did his wife. :(
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:04 pm

The family hit hard times, what can I say?

Ranon
Sojourner

Postby Ranon » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:35 pm

Tanji Smanji wrote:What I remember in no particular order.
Remember Myranthea/Breale, spent a lot of my 20-30 time there. Was also removed not lnog after. (Id come back in a heartbeat if these zones ever came back! WTB satchel of songs)

KT was a fun zone, platemail of life and so on :) I remember how quickly that got taken out of the game, but it was the first big zone Modu took me to I remember, I still was like lvl 39 or something when that happened.

Remember the Eye v. CS tia race where Kalsor got avernus.

Yeah, this was an interesting run... to say the least :)

And you can't mention Legion without mentionin Wabook, who eventually became my spell-whore on Darkover.

[/quote]

wow, i totally forgot about wabook... he taught me tons about mudding... awww....

prolly should add Sao/Serro/Garosh run to roots and loosing all their shit... then almost giving up, and having Rand and few others help with CR... took a few real days for them.... I wish Rand still was around, he had an AWESOME story written up about that roots trip.

Dragonia brings more of horrors than good memories...

Serro dual wielding doomie/avenger? This was mentioned somewhere....

Tien spanking the whole group by emoting he went north in brass by Prince, thus dragging the whole group in not spelled up or anything, the CR was fun nevertherless..., Believe it or not, Brass used to be a SEMI hard level before :)

Kyntara the oldest fucking player never to reach 50? :)

Wug played on duris a lot, and RULED it....

I saw Xyzom on some other mud he tried to create, but never worked out.

Garosh has been coming back and around, played on Duris with him for a bit. I actually inherited Garosh's doomie on Sojourn1 for a while... It was great fun.

Keep in mind, my info is outdated, since this is the fist time since 2003 I checked back into this forum, just trying to catch up :)
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:19 pm

Dalar wrote:
S L I M E

PS Kifle sucks

ha ha! yeah, well you know how it goes - I'm oozey, gooey, sticky green and chewy! I'm all about the slime baby, btw, is that you, Dartan?!

and yeah, kifle sucks, but in a good way - he once was my waterboy I never had! okay I lied, I've had several but still one of me favorites!

SlimeySun

if you want some - come get some! ;-)

You've just been slimed!

-German Proverb-
Ranon
Sojourner

Postby Ranon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:35 pm

SUNNY D!!!! How are you girl?! :) Still paying or what?
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:45 pm

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnono! hiya! i'm doing peachy. :) how the hell are ya?! and yes, I play, but on WoW when I have some free time - no muds for me. :) I'll visit now and then - why? did your dwarf still wanna marry lil ol' sunny on toril - you know, that smelly barbaric hooooman? ha ha :) much love for you, Rano, you simply rock! *hugs*

Sun

-German Proverb-
Ranon
Sojourner

Postby Ranon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:19 pm

Sundara wrote:Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnono! hiya! i'm doing peachy. :) how the hell are ya?! and yes, I play, but on WoW when I have some free time - no muds for me. :) I'll visit now and then - why? did your dwarf still wanna marry lil ol' sunny on toril - you know, that smelly barbaric hooooman? ha ha :) much love for you, Rano, you simply rock! *hugs*

Sun

Yah, I'm thinking WoW as well... I just started a new and improved job, the other one just kept me too busy for past 4-5 years... I have tons of free time, going to get back into gaming... Most of people are playing WoW, but then I also found Deidrit and few other REAL oldies are playing Guildwars... Not quite sure which one to start because I won't have time to play both...
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:56 pm

Sundara,

I resubscribed to WoW, but Macabre Legacy is gone and my friends list is completely empty. Where oh where have you gone?

- Praxel
- Ragorn
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:13 pm

Ragorn, if you want to do high end content as a shaman, i'd suggest applying to the rabble. They're at Vael now and even if I was active I'd try to get you in. They're in need of a PvE and PvP shaman. www.therabbleguild.com/forum
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:13 pm

it's always a tuff call when you got online friends spread out all over the internet games!

but...Ranon, follow your "heart".....ME!!! LOL! jk! I'm sure you'll have fun either way; you got friends on both! :)

However, if your choice is wow; I'm one of the few former soj/duris mudders on a pvp server called Tichondrius - Horde. I bet alot of the hardcore roleplayers are on a PVE server?? *yawn* :)

Oh, and if you wanna chill with S L i M E, which my bros and I opened recently; the doors are opened for you anytime! :)

It's a small pvp guild right now - like 50sum members currently. Alot of mains have alts in it to chill and have a good time. Screw the long never-ending hours of tedious high end instances! I noticed alot of people just get burned out with that repetative gaming and ended up quitting. There is more to the game than just epic loot IMO.

So we, on the other hand, just want to have fun and log out whenever we wanna or have to! oh and slime the lighties along the way! >:)

But! if you have alot of free time like you say and want to experience the high end stuff and get epic loot - you may want to send one of our favorite former duris guildmates a tell - MALOK! :) I'm sure he'd let you in Rabble. :)

-German Proverb-

Return to “General Discussion Archive”