Bye

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Bye

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:08 pm

You know, I remember a time when people could actually have a discussion around here. In fact, here's a link: http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

A noticable lack of Teflor, and hardly any flaming.

Also no mods deleting threads for no apparent reason, no Ambar or Kifle trying to shut down discussions... just people discussing things.

Kifle wants to complain about someone posting banal threads about everyday life, but everyone else complains the moment an interesting discussion starts.

Ambar doesn't like anybody discussing anything it seems, and manages to take insult even when her name isn't mentioned.

Teflor constantly trolls, constantly flames and probably hasn't contirbuted a single thing of worth during his entire BBS existence.

Meanwhile Shar enforces policy inconsistantly, letting comments go and then yelling at others just for having the quote of the original comment. Teflor can spend entire threads doing nothing but swearing, but I get yelled at for posting long, thought out replies that consist of much more than just "bullshit."

Then in the midst of it all there's some mysterious imm deleting threads for no apparent reason. Yay. I said then that I'd left forums because of things like that, and now I'm doing it again. I haven't really felt like posting here since then, and now that something was finally pulling my interest back everyone in their brother steps in to shut it down and threatens me?

Yeah, you're building a great community here.

It's somehow obvious why all the worthwhile posters have abandoned this place. This place has gone from a board where 20+ people could be found discussing things, to a place where 6 post in a thread and half of them are just bitching at the others to stop.

This place is just not fun, not interesting at all anymore.

Ambar, you win. I'll never argue about a sidetopic here again. All your topics can end in one page, with no debate as everyone agrees with you.

Kifle, I can't do much for you. You'll probably see more posts like Kwirls, because no one's going to be around discussing anything else.

Shar. Go ahead and delete this account. There's no reason for me to be here anymore, and it's obvious you have some personal dislike for me.

Corth, you've been the only person worth talking to for a long time around here. You win, but you're still wrong about pretty much everything. ;)

Imms in general: You do realize that a BBS with no discussion is kind of pointless right? If I went to one and found nothing but one page threads I probably wouldn't bother logging in. You've done a great job, though, of ensuring no one discusses anything at all at any length.

On a more MUD related note, fix some things already. Do SOMETHING with rangers. ANYTHING at this point. The class is not fun to play, and everyone knows it and discusses it... but nothing ever happens. I proposed an entirely new ranger class somewhere back, and I think it looked good. Others have made other suggestions, and most of those sounded good. Take a look at succesful rangers in other games... the one in Guild Wars is fun.

But after years of playing Ranger here, I tried bard... and holy crap you couldn't imagine the difference. Being sought after in groups, for one, makes this MUD 50 zillion times better.

Or, you know... go back to doing nothing, letting posters police the forums and moderating inconsitantly. Because you've kept so many players around that way.

EDIT:

If anyone does like to have discussions, with me I guess, I can be found at www.rpgcodex.com or www.fark.com in some more interesting socio political threads. I might get back into that darwintalk.org site too... not sure yet. Originally got bored with it because people weren't posting... :shrug:

Oh, and Vigis... I'll miss ya man! Stay cool.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:37 pm

In before the delete.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:42 pm

.*dust trail*..IN! *pant pant*
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:49 pm

I'm not going to delete this thread or edit his post. I think it a prime example of why he's been scolded so much. Very good indeed.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Garal
Sojourner

Postby Garal » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:58 pm

Martyr complex much there, Sarv? ;) Anyway, best of luck wherever you end up.
beer.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:18 am

i love you man :(
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:35 am

ta.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:10 am

Actually, I'm very sorry to see Sarvis go, even though he is horribly misguided. :)

I don't see why people object to these political debates that we have. I kind of enjoy it.. in a strange way its a bit of a stress reliever for me. I know its not really mud-related.. but thats what 'general discussion' is for, isn't it? If your offended or bothered in any way Just ignore Sarvis, Teflor, Corth, and sometimes Birile and Ragorn. Shrug.

And I really am curious why Shar won't address the issue about the missing 'denial of education' thread which was (by our standards) fairly toned down, on point, and insult-free. I realize that its her mud and she can do what she wants as far as moderating it.. but the policy seems really inconsistent.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:44 am

Well, I think Shev and Shar have been nice regarding my friends, who often post on my account - cuz they're jerks! After speaking with Shar, it won't happen any more and I have a new pword even. Example being the broadband account I have is a shared network with at least 20 people in the neighboring units using the IP or whatever it's called. It's fun, and some of the crap my friends would post, or the people they would taunt ..specifically Teflor I believe, weren't the me/owner of this account. Mods here gave me a chance to explain and were very cool and straightforth about the rules and my intent. I didn't know others were using my account, I just knew they were using my computer cuz it's the fastest here.

I like the mud a lot. I like the BBS, but some topics are pretty dumb, but it's still another person's prerogative to read it. Anyway, back with the happy!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:45 am

*Snap!* 1 less target for ranger bashing :(

Take it easy Sarvis, if you come back sometime look me up.

Oh, and just in case you are still reading the threads. . .I'm going to edit this later and put in a link of when I whooped you in the arena :twisted: It's somewhere hidden in the old Soj3 threads though :(

Hope to see you around, it at least spawned some excitement on the BBS when you decided to post.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:48 am

This is their board and mud. We should honor their requests.

However, the imms should realize that just because it's their playground doesn't mean people will play here if the rules are unfair.

I, personally, have not been subject to any censorship on this board, but just because it hasn't happened to me doesn't mean that it has not happened to others.

If you were invited to a party at a friend's house, and while sitting on the couch drinking, if your friend walked up to you, smacked your wrist and took your drink away without an explaination - would you stay? Would others stay that were subject to the same treatment? What if it was explained that you were leaving water rings on the table, and that was why you were scolded. would it make a difference then?

It would to me.

The owners can do what they want, when they want, and how they want. But, if it's interpreted as being unreasonable and without explaination, then the owners will be doing whatever it is they do - alone.

I have enjoyed my stay here. I am tremendously grateful for the time, effort and money the imms have invested for my entertainment. However, it's very obvious that a selection of participants on this board are unhappy with how they are/were treated. Perhaps they are the minority. Perhaps not. I don't really know, but I do know they are the most vocal about it.

The imms do not owe anyone anything - especially an explaination of why certain things are deleted, or why some posts are censored. Yet, it may still be in the community's best intrest to address some of these things. After all, if there is no community, then what are you all doing this for?
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:29 am

People take too much written word too personally. If written word causes him to quit, I'd hate to see what his personal life looks like. I am one whose online personality matches her real life personality, Arilin, Baikalisan, Kybrell, Mamoru. Rokub, Raner, and a few oldschool Cupids Playpen people can attest to that.; but many use the BBS and mud to hide insecurities about how we are or want to be.

Discussion is fine, really .. it is.. give and take by many people is welcom and accepted. When the same people degenerate a topic into personal flames, I for one, believe it isnt acceptable any longer. Perhaps I have taken the role I shouldn't, by asking that a topic be changed or re-routed to what it was intended to be, but how many times have we asked for player councils so that WE can police ourselves? That, in essence is what i have asked for you all to do. Police ourselves. People like Sarvis can't accept that, and since November has used my name over and over again (I think I have corrected him TWICE since then). If we can't police ourselves, how can we blame the immorts and BBS admins when they have to step in?

In my real life, I have been in the military for nearly 20 years. I imagine a lot of that shows thru when I think people should behave a certain way. I also have 120+ young people working for me that are expected to do what i ask WHEN I ask it. Seems pretty straight-forward to me. When someone of authority tells you to stop doing something, you stop. When someone of your own peer group sorrects you, you take it to heart and thank them for correcting you before someone above you has to.

Sue me for my beliefs, Sarvis, may you one day see the errors in your way. Yes, Teflor argues just as much as you do, if not more. He rarely takes it seriously, and usually tries (and succeeds) to push your buttons. You need to learn to relax, take deep breaths and remember .. it is written word. None of us pay your bills or write your paychecks. But an online family NEEDS rules, and we, as the family, need to learn to live by them.

be well, and good luck with the next addiction you may find (mudding and the frequent use of the refresh button when browsing THIS BBS IS an addiction (I suffer from it too:P:P:P)

-Jennifer the ancient mudder and militant poster
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:13 am

I never tried to shut down a discussion...yeah, I'm an asshole, but I encourage discussion. However, Kwirl's posts have been getting on my nerves for over a year now, and I guess I got fed up with his attention whoring. I'm not the only one who's gotten pissed either. I'm just the first one to make a sarcastic post directly making fun of him.

Anyway, do what you want. If you wanna be a pansy and leave this board with one less person to argue with the crazy republicans, fine. I guess I'll take over as lead moderate/liberal asshole.

peace.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Bye

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:55 am

Sarvis wrote:A noticable lack of Teflor, and hardly any flaming.

It is your ignorance. Not mine.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:07 pm

Just re-read Sarvis' original post in this thread and noticed the date ...

Sorry I wasnt around, I was on the USS Enterprise, away from my family, in the middle of the ocean, we think in the Middle of the Arabian Gulf, we werent told.

What a trying time, the few days after 9/11. Onboard the carrier, we wanted something to happen. We wanted to blow shit up! At the same time OUR communicatiuns were shut down, nothing in, nothing out, no way to contact OUR families to make sure they were ok (SEVERAL of our sailors had family in the towers at the time). We could turn on CNN (yes we still got TV out there) and see EXACTLY where we were. Flying into Bahrain in an unarmed aircraft, MY squadron wore our gas masks in their holders on belts. When we were allowed to walk out, we still had to carry gas masks, making us uncertain targets at best. When shit happened, we had to leave, we were the first strikes on Afghanistan, we dropped the first bombs, missiles and bullets.

Was sort of worse, coming home in November, after being delayed a month. The whole country was patriotic. Where before, sailors, soldiers and Marines were shunned, called war mongers, etc .. now we were suddenly heroes. Where was all the patriotism beforehand? Always bugged me, still does. We feel a certain way until shit happens, then all of a sudden, we are a country. Sorta pisses me off, if you get my meaning.

Anyway, as I said it just sorta struck me as odd the date of the link.. had to vent a bit :P

-Jennifer

and for the record, Teflor didnt even JOIN the BBS til months after that discussion:P
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:44 pm

You all take things far too personally and could probably use a bit of counseling.

And I would just like to say to the Imms that most people either ignore Sarvis or appreciate his banter, whether we agree with him or not. So why not lay off him? Or were you trying to kill this mud faster by shunning the few people who actually care to stay here? Sooner than later you'll be sitting atop your thrones ruling over a wasteland without inhabitants.

If you don't like my words, why not draw up a laundry list of the ways you're helping the mud and not killing it? That's the easiest way to prove me wrong. The ambiguous "we're working on things that we can't list here, be patient" accomplishes squat when people need reassurance.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:02 pm

Ambar wrote:and for the record, Teflor didnt even JOIN the BBS til months after that discussion:P

I would have logged in to amuse you sooner Jen, but I had just freshly enlisted.
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:33 pm

Birile wrote:And I would just like to say to the Imms that most people either ignore Sarvis or appreciate his banter, whether we agree with him or not. So why not lay off him? Or were you trying to kill this mud faster by shunning the few people who actually care to stay here? Sooner than later you'll be sitting atop your thrones ruling over a wasteland without inhabitants.

If you don't like my words, why not draw up a laundry list of the ways you're helping the mud and not killing it? That's the easiest way to prove me wrong. The ambiguous "we're working on things that we can't list here, be patient" accomplishes squat when people need reassurance.

[Vaprak's Personal Opinion]I'd have you draw up a laundry list of ways that everyone arguing, flaming, bitching, moaning, and making personal attacks while constantly calling out the staff on the BBS is helping the MUD.

There's more than a couple of staff members, including folks in the areas sphere, who have left or taken long hiati due at least in large part to the crap that gets spewed out on this BBS with no regard for anyone's feelings or the overall tone it creates.

It shouldn't have to be the staff's job to police the BBS by modifying or deleting posts and threads because ya'll should be able to police yourselves by acting like adults. Unfortunately this doesn't happen.

The BBS has done some great things for the game, but I often wonder if it does more harm than good.

I mean really guys, who wants to work all day at their paying job, then come home to work on their hobby(this MUD) only to get lambasted, called out, bitched at, and/or hear general complaining about everything you do or don't do? That's motivation if I've ever seen it. Feh. If you are unable to appreciate anything, why should I or anyone else even bother?

[/Vaprak's Personal Opinion]
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:38 pm

Vaprak wrote:I mean really guys, who wants to work all day at their paying job, then come home to work on their hobby(this MUD) only to get lambasted, called out, bitched at, and/or hear general complaining about everything you do or don't do? That's motivation if I've ever seen it. Feh. If you are unable to appreciate anything, why should I or anyone else even bother?

V--

Feel free to do a search of my name and check how many times on the BBS I've defended your (Imms') collective a$$es AND applauded your collective efforts. I still applaud your efforts. Take the criticism with it. Or don't.

If you want to only pay attention to the negative feedback that is your (Imms') prerogative.

*shrug*

edit: smudged the profanity with some money.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:50 pm

I think what bothers me is not that the moderators police the boards and take action when necessary, it is that the members of the boards are actually tattling and complaining to the imms about other members.

In my mind, adults should be above being so petty as to run to mommy (so to speak) every time somebody posts a thought in a manner that they don't like.

I can't begin to count the number of posts I have ignored or just started clicking "mark all topics read" because of what they contained or who was posting.

Common sense suggests that if we just hold back from posting on topics that annoy us or are for attention seeking, they sooner or later fizzle out and fall from the top of the page.

*shrug* I don't have enough posts behind my name to be an expert, but you have my 2 cents that are worth even less :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:42 pm

There's one particular person whose posts inspire me to click "Mark All Read," and it's not Moritheil. Kifle and I discussed this once before, and this is the one situation on the BBS where I still uphold the opinion that completely dismissing certain individual's opinions is sometimes not only preferable, but beneficial.

Worthless negativity just isn't worth the aggravation and annoyance, especially when the aggravation and annoyance only feeds and encourages the problem. So are you guys really completely incapable of seeing how you feed your own problems on this BBS?

Sarvis, if you'd ignore Teflor, he'd leave you alone eventually. Teflor, stop pushing his buttons; I know the big, shiny, bright red buttons are very tempting, but stop already. I have a lollipop I'll mail to you, if you'll be good.

The same ones who clamor for the staff to lay off and allow the players to self-moderate are the first ones to scream "foul" when other players call them out for their obnoxious behavior. If you find you're having to defend yourself way too much, then maybe you should step back and ask yourself "why." Believe it or not, sometimes "shut up and play nice" really is the answer.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:38 pm

Ambar wrote:Anyway, as I said it just sorta struck me as odd the date of the link.. had to vent a bit :P

Can I ask you a serious question?

I'm wondering.. Why is it that you feel overly compelled to continually supply your millitary resume in every post you do? Do you think it is because you require personal recognition from posters of this BBS for your military career because it isn't received in real life, which in turn constantly leads to your perpetual need to vent for not having yourself valildated; or do you think it is possibly just another symptom of Torilians and their ongoing need to feel superior to eachother, and your service record is what entitles you, and your opinions, to be superior to other posters of this forum; or is there possibly some other reason?

There are two people in these forums, above all others, that I think a lot of us easily know what their RL jobs are. Corth is a lawyer because he talks about it from time to time in discussions, and sometimes people ask for his opinion from a lawyers POV when related topics arise. We know you're in the military because you consantly mention it to self-validate your posted opinions regardless of what the subject matter even is. The way you always do this has reached the point of absolute absurdity. We could be talking about pink bunny slippers or chocolate covered donuts, but Ambar's opinion is so important because she is in the military. Seriously Wtf is up with that?

I'm no stranger when it comes to talking down to people here, and I'm sure my words (even this very post) are probably arrogant and condescending making me look like I have this need to substantiate my opinion(s), but I don't point to my job as the reason.
Shiallia
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Shiallia » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:58 pm

I personally would not blame her if her motive in posting with reference to career is pride. I am proud of her, and all others serving our country. Why should she not be as proud?

Support your troops.

Shiallia
Wife of a Soldier (The hardest job in the Army)
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:02 pm

Llaaldara .. if you had a steady job as I have had for 20 years, and are as proud of your job as I am ..

you'd mention it too

why do i bring it up a lot? because it is relevant ... because it is what i ahve done for a VERY long time ...

You have mentioned it over and over that I bring my job up a lot .. either stop being obsessed with my words, or deal with it

I am VERY proud to have served ny country this long, it is QUITE the accomplishment!!!

are you not proud of what you do?

I dont need validation to be honest :) the fact that 120+ MEN work for me is plenty :)

I am TWICE as proud of my children, and being their mother .. can you say that too? :)
Last edited by Ambar on Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:04 pm

thank you kifle! :) :) :)

*greedily laps up attention*

btw llaaldara is sexay!
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:37 pm

I see the part where I posted above in this thread about please not being asshats to one another got duly ignored. Yay!
Vaprak, the Destroyer

-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:46 pm

hi vaprak, nice to post to you. i wore an asshat on a web game called kingdom of loathing. i don't wear it now.

thanks for being an area guy
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:20 pm

Llaaldara wrote:
Ambar wrote:Anyway, as I said it just sorta struck me as odd the date of the link.. had to vent a bit :P

Can I ask you a serious question?

I'm wondering.. Why is it that you feel overly compelled to continually supply your millitary resume in every post you do? Do you think it is because you require personal recognition from posters of this BBS for your military career because it isn't received in real life, which in turn constantly leads to your perpetual need to vent for not having yourself valildated; or do you think it is possibly just another symptom of Torilians and their ongoing need to feel superior to eachother, and your service record is what entitles you, and your opinions, to be superior to other posters of this forum; or is there possibly some other reason?

There are two people in these forums, above all others, that I think a lot of us easily know what their RL jobs are. Corth is a lawyer because he talks about it from time to time in discussions, and sometimes people ask for his opinion from a lawyers POV when related topics arise. We know you're in the military because you consantly mention it to self-validate your posted opinions regardless of what the subject matter even is. The way you always do this has reached the point of absolute absurdity. We could be talking about pink bunny slippers or chocolate covered donuts, but Ambar's opinion is so important because she is in the military. Seriously Wtf is up with that?

I'm no stranger when it comes to talking down to people here, and I'm sure my words (even this very post) are probably arrogant and condescending making me look like I have this need to substantiate my opinion(s), but I don't point to my job as the reason.

When you do something for so long, it becomes who you are. All of your experiences, and usually opinions, become tied to this thing. That, for Ambar, is the Army. If you were married for 20 years, there is a good chance that most opinions you have where created from that marriage and the experiences you had in it. This is equally true for Ambar.

Look, maybe it's you who has the problem. Are you that upset with yourself that you couldn't hold a job for so long? Are you that upset that you don't have the courage to join the armed forces? Are you that upset that you can't find somebody to mate with and have children?

Jen has done, and been through a lot in her day I'm sure. I think she has more than enough to be proud of, and I for one have no problem with her telling us of her accomplishments.

Corth is the same way, but you only see the relation to his job in the posts because you're incapable of thinking outside of the box. You can't make any connections unless they are thrown in your lap and spelled out on a gigantic neon sign.

Go do something worthwhile with your life. You'll probably be less agitated and more happy with yourself.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:22 pm

i hope everyone isn't as unhappy as kifle :( i love you ambar! i love you llaaldara!

you are both invited to my place for a barbecue
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:34 pm

Vaprak wrote:I see the part where I posted above in this thread about please not being asshats to one another got duly ignored. Yay!

It's because most of us are adults... In the adult world, you are supposed to be emotionally stable enough, and smart enough, to not let words over the internet bother you. Given that, it should be assumed that we aren't too receptive to online parenting as well. Until somebody threatens somebody else's life, or other such violent retaliation, I'm pretty sure this policing and deletion of threads is not only unecessary but also useless and a huge waste of time on the part of the imms. Even if it gets squashed in one thread, do you think it will carry over to other threads? Fat chance. We are opinionated adults and are given the annonymity of the internet. Given that, it is highly likely that any type of policing of victimless crimes will only be throwing gas, rather than water, into the flames. As many of us are American, we have grown used to the semi-freedom of speech aloted to us by our country.

I'm trying not to bitch, but it is seriously becoming more of an annoyance to see a thread get deleted, when there is actually some good thought in, rather than a deterant. Like the war on drugs, you're fighting a war that will never be won, and spending too much time and frustration trying to fight it.

This post is not just in my best interest, but in the interest of the imms as well. It really does bother me that you people do get upset at some of the things we do and say, but, like many others, I see it as a self-inflicted wound on your behalf. Seriously, if somebody can't handle being called an idiot or an asshat over the internet, then they should do themselves a favor by taking a break from the forums or stop reading the thread. Not one of us has ever gone to somebody's house just to hold them hostage and force them to read our posts. They have a choice in the matter. If they choose to squander that choice, it is not your fault or ours. If you want us to start being responsible, look more towards the ones who, like mosquitoes to a big blue light, get zapped because they can't defeat their own impulses to fly into the electrical barrier. IMO, it is they who are acting more immature and reckless than anybody on this forum who has ever flamed another.

kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:48 pm

take a deep breath and repeat after me.

"this forum is a privelege, and not a right, thank you imms"
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:27 pm

Ambar reminds us that she is in the military because it helps to explain some of her opinions on things. She can say something like "when your superior tells you to do something, you just fucking do it" and it strikes a dissonant chord in my head until I remember "Hey, Ambar is career military." Personally, I don't mind the reminder, as long as it's being used to explain her opinions and not as an attempt to give them more weight. If Ambar came on here and said "I think group size should be 10 instead of 15, because the military has taught me to lead small groups and if you can't handle it, tough" then I'd point and laugh. But I don't see that, so I don't care much.

Really, the Imms' attitude about the forums falls neatly into my perception of Toril as a whole. They've got their rules, and though they may not be consistant and I might often disagree with them, that's how it is and it's not going to change. Arguing, pointing out logical fallacies, accusing the Imms of hypocrisy, and posting thread after thread after thread about forum policy will have little effect, other than to steam everyone up. So just stop.

Those are the rules.
If you don't like the rules, leave.
If the Imms don't like people leaving, they'll change the rules.
Vote with your feet, not with your fingers.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:31 pm

Carl, love ya no shit babe .. but

its Navy!
Diel
Sojourner

Postby Diel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:43 pm

I poop too much.
Hoppel ASSOC:: 'ROFL ON THE BEST FLOOR EVAR!!!1!1!oneone'

Klandan group-says 'No, I just won't group with him. Just making that clear up front.

Hibbidy tells you 'kill giant'

Twyl tells you 'I hate my life'

Don't blame me because you aren't an interesting person and have a problem finding anything to talk about.
sifu_augustin
Sojourner

Postby sifu_augustin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:55 pm

this post has TOO MANY GUYZ!!!11
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:37 am

Llaaldara wrote:Why is it that you feel overly compelled to continually supply your millitary resume in every post you do?

She doesn't.

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147262

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147237

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147188

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147177

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147175

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147076

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147074

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147073

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147059

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147058

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147056

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147055

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#147052

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146946

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146940

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146939

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146933

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146931

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146900

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146576

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146547

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146544

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146488

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146480

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146477

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146476

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146468

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146436

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146407

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146374

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146369

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146301

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146300

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146272

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146235

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146234

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146062

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146046

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146024

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#146014

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145996

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145972

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145802

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145478

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145466

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145465

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145406

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145345

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145331

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145307

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145290

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145289

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145283

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145282

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145258

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#145243

You know, Lala, they're deleting accounts for being abrasive these days, so I'd be careful if I were you.
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:42 am

wow.... whats happening to this community?

:(
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:06 pm

colje! do you play under another name? i totally miss ya!

colje is a pimp shaman who took a lot of time educating daz's ignorant barbarian self :P
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:23 pm

Ambar wrote:Llaaldara .. if you had a steady job as I have had for 20 years, and are as proud of your job as I am ..

Well that is an accomplishment worthy of recognition. Bravo! I have a family member who's very similar to you then, and I know someone who was in the Army for 25 years. They are very proud people too. Now it all makes sense, and whenever I see you post, a particular family member will come to mind. :)

Ambar wrote:you'd mention it too

Ya know... I probablly would.

Ambar wrote:why do i bring it up a lot? because it is relevant ... because it is what i ahve done for a VERY long time ...

Well I respectfully beg to differ on that point. I don't think it always is, but hey that's my POV. There is something I've been doing for over 25 years, but I guess I just don't feel the need to express it as often as yourself despite how much pride I do take in it. *shrug*

Ambar wrote:You have mentioned it over and over that I bring my job up a lot .. either stop being obsessed with my words, or deal with it

I've always spent too much time observing peoples behaviors I guess. It's not much of a personality, but it's all I got.

Ambar wrote:I am VERY proud to have served ny country this long, it is QUITE the accomplishment!!!

It is quite the accomplishment. And again, something rightfully be proud of.

Ambar wrote:are you not proud of what you do?

Good question. I don't think I am eventho I'm one of the top 5 users of a particularly program in the world that you can't goto school for and costs 30k just for the initial license to use, and I could charge you 2-4k an hour to tutor you in, but... sadly it doesn't bring much joy to my life. :(

Ambar wrote:I dont need validation to be honest :) the fact that 120+ MEN work for me is plenty :)

I think I do need it since I don't particularly find my job satisfying. To say that I'm unhappy is an understatement. I've long since passed the 'unhappy' phase and have unfortunately been living for some time in the mean & bitter phase.

Ambar wrote:I am TWICE as proud of my children, and being their mother .. can you say that too? :)

No I can't atm, and doubt I will ever be able to say or feel that way. I have sincere reservations about bringing a child into my miserable life and subjecting them to my inability to appropriately express, or receive, love between another individual.

Kifle,

I noticed you quoted me, but sorry, I haven't been reading your posts for some time now. Thanks anyways whatever you said.

Teflor,

I'm happy to see you've done something productive that isn't centered around bashing Sarvis or expressing your self-proclaimed superiority over other posters, but instead legitimately defending a person worthy of defense. Congradulations to you, and by all intents, keep moving in that positive direction. That color looks a lot better on you, I hope you'll keep wearing it instead.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:47 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Kifle,

I noticed you quoted me, but sorry, I haven't been reading your posts for some time now. Thanks anyways whatever you said.

So I could say that you like to have sex with donkeys, punch old ladies in the face for fun, and have no noticable outside genitalia and you would just say "Thanks anyways"? Sweet. I'm gonna have tons of fun with this :)

sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:13 pm

i got bored but felt like i needed to post. what u ask, nothing. ok bye
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:48 pm

Llaal... to sum it up I think he basically said "If you stopped lurking after Ambar hoping for something to harp on and focused on your own life, you might be happier."

That about right, Kif?

Since it seemed to be good advice considering your above post where you mentioned how "mean and bitter" you are, I thought I'd repeat it for Kifle since you don't read his posts.

My personal translation would be "Get off Ambar, already; you've been riding her for ages and it's starting to look creepy."
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:01 pm

Ashiwi wrote:My personal translation would be "Get off Ambar, already; you've been riding her for ages and it's starting to look creepy."

I shudder at the thought.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Teflor,

I'm happy to see you've done something productive that isn't centered around bashing Sarvis or expressing your self-proclaimed superiority over other posters, but instead legitimately defending a person worthy of defense. Congradulations to you, and by all intents, keep moving in that positive direction. That color looks a lot better on you, I hope you'll keep wearing it instead.

Clearly, this remark quoted above was not made out of any form of enlightenment.

Allow me to educate you, Lala, in hopes that you may reach that knowledge.

I am a defender of freedom.

I have stood for the innocent, fought against tyranny, and battled days and nights the unjust.

I have always legitimatly defended those worthy of defense.

You clearly did not know this before you made this statement, but the congratulations are actually due to you!

I think you have finally opened your eyes and have started to notice.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Llaal... to sum it up I think he basically said "If you stopped lurking after Ambar hoping for something to harp on and focused on your own life, you might be happier."

That about right, Kif?

Since it seemed to be good advice considering your above post where you mentioned how "mean and bitter" you are, I thought I'd repeat it for Kifle since you don't read his posts.

My personal translation would be "Get off Ambar, already; you've been riding her for ages and it's starting to look creepy."

It is good advice. I think I'll take it to heart. Thank you. :)
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:36 am

kwirl wrote:colje! do you play under another name? i totally miss ya!

colje is a pimp shaman who took a lot of time educating daz's ignorant barbarian self :P

You litle evil...naah..stopped playing a year ago, gave my stuff to alilsil for "loan", but I cant stop trolling the bbs ;) Like a lot of us....

If we had a poll asking how many of the bbs users who acctually played, we would probaly get a 50%/50%.... Anyways, sorry for hijacking this thread.

("Vacation time = ETA -5 days 3 hours ")
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:04 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Llaaldara wrote:Teflor,

Clearly, this remark quoted above was not made out of any form of enlightenment.

Allow me to educate you, Lala, in hopes that you may reach that knowledge.

I am a defender of freedom.

I have stood for the innocent, fought against tyranny, and battled days and nights the unjust.

I have always legitimatly defended those worthy of defense.

You clearly did not know this before you made this statement, but the congratulations are actually due to you!

I think you have finally opened your eyes and have started to notice.

Playing "Medal of Honor:call to duty" at a lanparty with some people you
call your friends is NOT being a "defender of freedom". This is the holier
than thou attitude that was being referred to in lal's post. The post as
a whole was amost complimentary. And all you do is go back to the
insults. Way to go. Guess some things never change.

IMHO this thread is doing NOTHING healthy for the game or the
community as a whole. Deleting and/or locking it might be a wise idea.

Del
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:13 am

Delmair Aamoren wrote:Playing "Medal of Honor:call to duty" at a lanparty with some people you
call your friends is NOT being a "defender of freedom". This is the holier
than thou attitude that was being referred to in lal's post. The post as
a whole was amost complimentary. And all you do is go back to the
insults. Way to go. Guess some things never change.

IMHO this thread is doing NOTHING healthy for the game or the
community as a whole. Deleting and/or locking it might be a wise idea.

Del

Public servants have always been criticized by those who are not capable of doing anything, comprehending anything, and wouldn't be sought out to partake in the first place.

Your quote above is the pinnacle of 'holier than thou', even more so that you did not even precieve it, and I doubt you could find any insults in what I've said in this thread that would be any more of an insult than what you have posted.

As for this thread adding nothing? It didn't until you posted and showed the rest of the BBS exactly what Ambar was talking about.

I am a defender of freedom and that has never changed. The same may be said about your particular brand of ignorance and hippocracy. There is no arrogance in truth.
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:19 am

There is a lot of writting being done on this thread.. but nothing is really being said. Empty words. All empty.

Could we actually become productive here? Please?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:23 am

You could visit this link:
http://www.giantmicrobes.com

Return to “General Discussion Archive”