Ciao

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Ciao

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:01 pm

I'm gone. Don't like the way this place is headed. And I have more important things to do with my time than be some of the few stragglers holding on to this once great mud til it finally sinks. The past four years have been good, some bad.....all in all, this just soaks up too much of my time....bye.

Deleting....Nurpy----50 halfling warrior

Deleting....Vorkul----46 barbarian shaman

Deleting....Viclor----35 human enchanter

Deleting....Arwarax----35 paladin

Deleting....Thracx----32 human elementalist

Deleting....Ahxeriden----37 antipaladin

Deleting....Tiroc----44 human illusionist

Deleting....Izzemassix----31 psionicist

On another note, would like to say thank you to Lilithelle for being so kind to noobs, and being honestly the best muder I've ever met.

Toodles...
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:23 pm

poodles!

im jealous, in 4 years you got a lot done! lol, i'm still 3 levels away from 50 after a decade :P
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:47 pm

After determining that a once great mud is heading nowhere, the correct thing to do is AFK for 600 or so pdays. *whap*

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:13 pm

You'll be back, and be pissed you deleted your chars. Happens everytime, enjoy.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:18 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:You'll be back, and be pissed you deleted your chars. Happens everytime, enjoy.

At which point, he'll do what 95% of people who deleted chars did. . .ask for and be granted a restore.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Diel
Sojourner

Postby Diel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:45 pm

I bet I wouldn't get one :P
Hoppel ASSOC:: 'ROFL ON THE BEST FLOOR EVAR!!!1!1!oneone'

Klandan group-says 'No, I just won't group with him. Just making that clear up front.

Hibbidy tells you 'kill giant'

Twyl tells you 'I hate my life'

Don't blame me because you aren't an interesting person and have a problem finding anything to talk about.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:37 pm

Diel wrote:I bet I wouldn't get one :P

Probably not :P
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:46 am

Real quitters don't say sh*t they just quit.

He even left himself an out, for coming back if he likes the way the mud is headed at some point in the future.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:48 am

I still haven't come back!
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Raiwen
Sojourner

Re: Ciao

Postby Raiwen » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:56 am

Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:The past four years have been good, some bad.....all in all, this just soaks up too much of my time....bye.

only 4 years?

Man.. I think I was MIA for about that long.

Seriously, the mud undergoes many changes. I think the admins are better than it ever was. The pbase is lower, but that is to be expected. The games people play are different.

When I started mudding on Toril/Sojourn, Windows 3.1 was installed on the college lab computers. tintin was the default mud client, and I used it from the school's Solaris unix system. Today, things are different. computers run windows xp, command line is absent. Computer graphics are super realistic.

The typical mud player has changed. The imms have changed. The mud itself has changed.

During this time, I've known friends to be deleted for choosing a name, having it accepted by one god, and later rejected in-game by another.

I've known crash bugs to delete entire bags of equipment, and yet they received no reimb.

so what is the worse thing that is happening now?

politics on the board?

slow imm response?

lack of updates?

lower player base?

that's not so bad. Imms have real lives. People play different games. We aren't alone. Others will find our home. Our pbase will grow. We have nothing.. NOTHING compared to the crap happening on other muds.

http://www.thresholdx.com/showquote.php?id=6391

just check out that captured message from another mud. Crazy stuff.

After reading that, I actually feel glad that we're surrounded by people as cool as the imms we have now.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:16 am

The Kobob gets the sig! -- possibly for being why he left but hey, I'll take that too :\
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Re: Ciao

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:38 pm

Raiwen wrote:We have nothing.. NOTHING compared to the crap happening on other muds.

http://www.thresholdx.com/showquote.php?id=6391

Holly Jeebus, man. I think I saw that guy on that new TV show, "When megalo-maniacs attack."
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:50 pm

I was waiting for that guy to start burning people at the stake for witchery!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:03 pm

Sounds like a former god, which will remain nameless
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:47 am

Oh he's worse than she ever was. At least she didn't drag people through the streets. That post is actually pretty funny!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:17 am

Wow. I've spent half the night reading posts off that BBS, and it was like watching a train wreck. It was horrible, but I couldn't look away. At first I couldn't believe the players would actually subject themselves to that kind of treatment on a long-term basis, but then as I started reading the log, I realized that many of the players had become pirahna, honing in on the scent of blood whenever he would start his abuse on somebody, even egging him on. It was like reading over a nightmare psychological study on group dynamics straight out of the Twilight Zone.

Why would people ever tolerate that kind of treatment just to play a game?

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:48 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Why would people ever tolerate that kind of treatment just to play a game?

I hope you read the original board. The board I linked to was an "extreme" site, which is basically a bitch-fest for the original site. If anyone posts on that extreme site with their real alias, then they get nuked on the real site by the crazy owner.

I guess you lose perspective on things after playing a game for so many years. I, as are many that play or have played, have an addictive personality. I don't do drugs, nor do I drink all the time (though in my college days I did). However, throw a cool game my way, and I'll play it till my fingers bleed or I beat the game (much to my wife's fustration). It doesn't really matter what type of game as long as it holds my interest and has a clear goal. As I've gotten older, I've learned to juggle my drive for competition (or whatever it is) with my responsibilities for those around me - though I do have lapses of reason.

I bet, many of you are in the same boat. Otherwise, why have you played this game for so long, while sometimes ignoring your other real life responsibilities?

Now, imagine if you paid for this.

Now, imagine how psychological trickery could mold your addicition into something you couldn't readily escape.

Now, imagine if you didn't know there was anything better out there.

I think that is where those people are.

I'm not sure what type of mud they play, but maybe our mud could be a home for them - these refugees from a Facist mud.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:23 pm

It's a RP-enforced game, so Toril is missing a main aspect the draw them in.

Of course, I'm still convinced that if Toril went back to a heavier RP atmosphere, we'd attract and maintain a larger pbase than we do now.

kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:49 pm

Ashiwi wrote:It's a RP-enforced game, so Toril is missing a main aspect the draw them in.

Of course, I'm still convinced that if Toril went back to a heavier RP atmosphere, we'd attract and maintain a larger pbase than we do now.

you'd be wrong. look at where the 'gung-ho we reward roleplayers' has gotten you. roleplaying is not why all people mud. in your happy little world roleplaying may be important, but for the vast majority it is about having fun in a competitive atmosphere with a community of people who share your goals or at least some of them.

roleplaying is an isolationist clique activity, and for the average 'new' player joining the game, is not a part of the world he interacts with. he interacts with the mobs, with the equipment, and with the occasional passing player. if you want to roleplay, go to some gay mush or a yahoo chatroom for underage girls. muds are predominantly about group challenges.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:46 pm

Well that didn't take long, did it?

Did you just want to use the words "you'd be wrong" or does your post actually have anything to do with mine? I never suggested RP was why all people mud, I never suggested the RP method used on this incarnation of Toril was an effective tool in maintaining a pbase, and there's certainly nothing that suggests that "having fun in a competitive atmosphere with a community of people who share your goals or at least some of them" is only a non-RP aspect of gaming.

No offense to the RP staff here by the "ineffective" comment, it's just that the RP is too sporadic to attract players who prefer a heavier RP atmosphere, and since it is without concrete rewards it doesn't really appeal to the non-RP gamer. I think what you guys manage to do when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place is pretty great.[/quote]

kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:47 pm

you implied that rp would revitalize the playerbase. i merely pointed out that it would not.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:51 pm

Just out of curiosity, how is it that Threshold has the 8th position on Top Mud Sites with over twice the votes Toril has? You would think that a game that costs money, has a crazed dictatorial leader and an active insurgency plotting against it wouldn't be that successful.

Or another way of looking at it: you would think that Toril, given its strengths, would be way more successful.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:27 pm

Heavily enforced RP games where players really do contribute to an active RP atmosphere are a rarity, while hack-n-slash games are a dime a dozen. Are there many pay-for-play text games in the top lists that are non-RP? The two biggies I can think of off the top of my head, Gemstone and Dragonrealms, are both enforced RP, I believe. RP'ers often invest a lot into their characters mentally and emotionally, and therefore carry a great deal of attachment to them... which contributes to a great deal of game loyalty in spite of less than ideal circumstances.

Which is one of several reasons that so many people were so fanatically devoted to Sojourn back when the administration was less than cordial. A combination of enforced RP and circumstances which keep most people playing a single character on a long-term basis create an atmosphere which fosters a great amount of character connectivity.

Obvious favoritism in such an atmosphere never hurts, either.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:32 pm

Ya hear that, Shevy? Ashiwi wants you to be more tyrannical. :twisted:

You're too soft, man! Too soft!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:43 pm

Better?
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:53 pm

I got chills.

kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:58 pm

i know where she puts that finger....
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:38 pm

Ashiwi wrote:It's a RP-enforced game, so Toril is missing a main aspect the draw them in.

i hate rp w/ a passion. sorry nilan

but if i'm not force to rp i'm good :)
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:31 am

hi5 sok

roleplaying disgusts me
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:41 am

My thoughts on RP:

RP-enforced games don't feature a larger playerbase, they tend to feature a smaller and more dedicated playerbase. Enforcing roleplay simply excludes a nonzero part of your gaming population... some people are just unwilling or unable, for whatever reason, to maintain a roleplay persona.

When I played Sojourn 2, I was almost always in-character. I wrote multi-chapter RP stories, RP'd with other consistant roleplayers, and generally made a life of it. Now, I refuse to do any more than surface roleplaying. It's just not my thing anymore. MMORPG populations aren't much different... no more than half the people on the "RP" servers actually roleplay, and virtually nobody on the standard servers does. I don't think I met one single person in WoW who even occasionally RP'd their character. By enforcing roleplay, you're ruling out a very large portion of your potential playerbase.

But, the flipside. People who embrace RP are more likely to form bonds with a forced-RP environment. Think of it like a gated community... if only people you like are admitted, you're more likely to stay.

As always, I present opinions without suggestions. Not my place to start using the word "should" in this community.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:23 am

Birile wrote:Ya hear that, Shevy? Ashiwi wants you to be more tyrannical. :twisted:

You're too soft, man! Too soft!

I politely beg to differ.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:47 pm

Quit time #2 for him, which means: He'll be back! :P

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15078
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:54 pm

Raiwen wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:Why would people ever tolerate that kind of treatment just to play a game?

I hope you read the original board. The board I linked to was an "extreme" site, which is basically a bitch-fest for the original site. If anyone posts on that extreme site with their real alias, then they get nuked on the real site by the crazy owner.

I guess you lose perspective on things after playing a game for so many years. I, as are many that play or have played, have an addictive personality. I don't do drugs, nor do I drink all the time (though in my college days I did). However, throw a cool game my way, and I'll play it till my fingers bleed or I beat the game (much to my wife's fustration). It doesn't really matter what type of game as long as it holds my interest and has a clear goal. As I've gotten older, I've learned to juggle my drive for competition (or whatever it is) with my responsibilities for those around me - though I do have lapses of reason.

I bet, many of you are in the same boat. Otherwise, why have you played this game for so long, while sometimes ignoring your other real life responsibilities?

Now, imagine if you paid for this.

Now, imagine how psychological trickery could mold your addicition into something you couldn't readily escape.

Now, imagine if you didn't know there was anything better out there.

I think that is where those people are.

I'm not sure what type of mud they play, but maybe our mud could be a home for them - these refugees from a Facist mud.

Interesting.

I will note that the question that nobody is asking is, "do we want them?"

[Edit for the clue-impaired: I am not suggesting that we don't need new people. I'm wondering if these people, who are, as Ashiwi said, pirhanas, are a good thing to throw into the mix of Toril players, as they might ultimately cause other players to leave due to their Xtreme!11!1 behavior.]

PS: Nurpy, come back!
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”