Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Possible Spoilers)

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:12 pm

After receiving a most ungodly infuriating call from a certain ex at 1:30 this morning, I couldn't get back to sleep, and ended up staying up and reading until I finished this book at 6:45, right before work.

Errrrrrr.... I..... Grrrrrrrr... Mmmpffflggrrrrrgggg...

As a HUGE Snape fan, I have to say that CAN'T POSSIBLY be the way it looked. Can it? ::whimper::

Anybody else think it looked almost like it was arranged between Dumbledore and Snape? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

And no, I'm not some Potter fanatic... but I would serve detention with Snape any day.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:36 pm

Ashi,

Vandy and I had that same impression about the Snape/Dumbledore thing being staged. Just too many "convenient" bits of plot for it to really happen the way it looked.

Personally I'm more pissed about what happened with Harry and Ginny at the end.

So, what're your theories on who R.A.B. might be?

On a side note, I can't WAIT for November. Book 4 I think has been my favorite so far, hope they did it justice for the screen version.
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Simple..R.A.B. is Sirius' brother, Regulus Black. It also gives more meaning to Mundungus stealing things from the Black home...including a cup.

Still not sure on Snape, but yeah, think it was set up between Dumbledore and Snape earlier (probably during the argument that they had that Hagrid overheard). It allows Snape to get in deeper with the Death Eaters and Voldy.
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:24 pm

Branthur wrote:Simple..R.A.B. is Sirius' brother, Regulus Black. It also gives more meaning to Mundungus stealing things from the Black home...including a cup.

Interesting possibility, except I thought Regulus being dead was pretty well established. Moreover, wasn't he a Voldy supporter?
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:27 pm

Sure..it was established that he was a Death Eater, but tried to get out at the end, and was killed by either Voldy or one of his supporters (Sirius says that he thought it was probably one of his supporters). However, there is no way to know _when_ the phylact..er..horcrux was stolen from the cave. It could have been done years ago, which Regulus easily could have done and hidden within the Black household before meeting his demise. (he even says in the note that he's probably dead)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:27 pm

I don't care what you say Branny... I still think Snape planted his old potions textbook so that Harry would end up with it. Maybe he truly is a greasy git, but I'm convinced that much of the way he acts towards his non-Slytherin students is an act because of the huge need to keep the Slytherin (i.e. potential Death-Eater) parents placated and believing in him and his support of their cause.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:38 pm

Branthur wrote:Sure..it was established that he was a Death Eater, but tried to get out at the end, and was killed by either Voldy or one of his supporters (Sirius says that he thought it was probably one of his supporters). However, there is no way to know _when_ the phylact..er..horcrux was stolen from the cave. It could have been done years ago, which Regulus easily could have done and hidden within the Black household before meeting his demise. (he even says in the note that he's probably dead)

Good points all. Guess that makes it more crucial that Harry did inherit the house.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:47 pm

I didn't read the book, but gf did and told me the impoRtant stuff. I thought it was kinda weak that he would have killed the main professor guy. It just seemed like a big fat non-sequitor when compared to the rest of the books. So, I'm hoping it is a staged planned/thing, but gf thinks that I'm wrong. I guess we'll see.

I missed the r in an important. It's not Freudian at all.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:37 pm

Mitharx... The thing is that Snape is playing the role of a double agent. He works as a spy for Dumbledore, acting as one of Voldemort's closest and most loyal followers, bringing in information to the Order of the Phoenix (the good guys), but at the same time he's one of Voldemort's closest and most loyal followers, and he's supplying Voldemort with information on the Order of the Phoenix... or is he really just acting as...

So the question is whether the death of Dumbledore was a staged necessity in order to keep Snape from blowing his cover, or did Snape finally show his true colors as a loyal Death Eater by killing Dumbledore?

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:41 pm

I don't have the book to double check it, but didn't Dumbledore say something to Malfoy about being able to make him dead or something like that? Bleh, I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was along those lines and promising that Voldemort would never be able to find him. . I'll have to double-check.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:55 pm

Yes he did. Something that also make me re-read a line twice was Dumbledore seemingly insinuating that Lucius Malfoy is actually under the protection of The Order of the Phoenix, instead of just stuffed away in a prison cell.

Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:39 pm

Yeah. I knew that. The problem is that he acted like he semi-cared about harry in several cases. He should have just said screw him if he was a double agent.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:16 pm

I gotta agree with Branthur that RAB is Regulus Black, and also agree with Kelly that the whole Ginny/Harry breakup thing is lame and its a scenario thats far too played out in books and on screen nowadays.

Now that they've made Dumbldore out to be this perfect wizard, I don't think that Rowling would tarnish that by making him wrong in his assumptions about Snape. Snape had no choice but to do what he did thanks to the Unbreakable Vow, which Dumbledore had to have known about and told him to hold to no matter the cost (Snape being resistant to carrying it out was probably why Dumbledore plead with him at the end).

I really enjoyed Harry putting Draco in his place! A little dark magic is okay right?:P

All in all, I thought it was a pretty good book, and a lot more grown up than the previous installments.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:41 am

Dumbledore has already been proven not to be infallible. I'm inclined to agree that he was too quick to see good in what is evil.

But anyway, it could easily be that it was both that Dumbledore welcomed death at Snape's hands, and that Snape wanted to kill him for whatever reason, be it for Voldemort or something else entirely.

Remember also, I read in an interview with JKR that we should not feel sorry for him, that he is up to something. That doesn't sound like the way to think of a misunderstood good guy to me.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Lilira
Sojourner

Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Possible Spoiler

Postby Lilira » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:09 pm

Ashiwi wrote:And no, I'm not some Potter fanatic... but I would serve detention with Snape any day.

Just a SNAPE fanatic.... you're a wierd woman....

Just finished my copy. Half a box of tissues later and cursing Rowling enthusiastically... HOW long til the next one??? *sigh*
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:53 pm

Yes, yes, Snape fan... and your point is?

So here's another question... If Snape really was a loyal follower of Voldemort, and was showing his true colors at last, wouldn't he have taken every opportunity to kill Harry he could get? Warning the other Death Eaters off of Harry and leaving him alive seems like the kind of thing he should be Crucio'd into oblivion for. And didn't Snape seem to be coaching Harry through the duel... telling him how to become a better duelist for future encounters?

Also... does Harry seem like one of the biggest blockheads ever to anybody else? I know he's young, but as much as Voldemort wants him dead, doesn't it seem like there would be SOME point where the kid would think about how easy it would have been for Snape to take him out of the picture over the years? That's one of the only things I've never liked about the last couple of Harry Potter books... Harry really is way too conveniently thickheaded about too many things.

Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Snape said it as he and Malfoy were running for it. Orders were Harry was for the Dark Lord and to leave him alone. Hence the reason Snape didn't kill him. Who knows what Ms. Rowling has planned for Snape. I seriously hope he's playing a game cus he splatted my fave char. Hence the 1/2 pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy I munched on after finishing the book. *sigh*

Also, Potter inherited that wonderful dislike of Snape. Actually, if Snape hadn't been so awful to him 1st year, the kid might have gotten along with him, even after finding out about his dad's history. He's never worried about Snape trying to do him in merely cus Dumbledore wouldn't have let that happen, and Harry knew it. Besides.. Snape isn't stupid.. What was it Lucius Malfoy said to Draco in I think book two?? Something like "It might not be wise to be overly hostile of Harry Potter." I could look it up if I get bored enough. The hostility between Snape and Harry was well known. If something permanent had happened to Harry, everyone would have been checking him out.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... its a book. :P But still fun to pick apart, and the fact its easy to get emotional over the storyline merely stresses the fact J.K. Rowling did her job well.

Now we have to wait _how_ long for the conclusion to this mess??? With luck 2 years?

Lil

Mmm... discussing something that won't start namecalling on a General Post... WOW!

BTW Ash,, I was teasing you... you know I luv ya. *grin*
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:55 pm

Tease away Lil, Snape's mah bad boy of choice.

And sure, Harry was for Lord Voldemort... but how easy would it have been to just put him in a binding spell and drag him along? Snape was toying with him in that duel.

Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:16 pm

In book 7, Harry and Voldemort will dual...and in their weakened state, Neville will kill them both, and take his rightful mantle as the new dark lord.

*nod me*

It will be interesting to see what Snape does in the future, that is for sure. He may not be on _either_ side...
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:46 am

Branthur wrote:In book 7, Harry and Voldemort will dual...and in their weakened state, Neville will kill them both, and take his rightful mantle as the new dark lord.

*nod me*

I dunno...when I heard there were gonna be quite a few deaths in HBP I honestly expected Neville to be one of them.

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:39 am

Sad to think that all 8 books have been complete for a while now ...

Honestly why all the waiting!! The 7th and 8th are going to sell JUST as many copies as the rest! Put em out already!!!

Ever see a documentary on her? Interesting to see how she started, and why Harry Potter was written to begin with

LOVE the books!!

Isn't Harry just the ULTIMATE geek? !!! Or are we adults for reading it and discussing it!

BTW .. was I the only one to see the typo on page 1 of chapter two? Fug? not Fog??

whats fug!
Lirela
Sojourner

Postby Lirela » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:35 pm

Fug -- I saw it and assumed it was some british term I never heard. Like so much in the books...sometimes I don't know if it's a term from the wizarding world or from Britain. Both are equally foreign to me. :P
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:41 pm

The versions we get in the states are edited to remove most of the British stuff too.
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:14 pm

Lirela wrote:Fug -- I saw it and assumed it was some british term I never heard. Like so much in the books...sometimes I don't know if it's a term from the wizarding world or from Britain. Both are equally foreign to me. :P

fug (n.) - A heavy, stale atmosphere, especially the musty air of an overcrowded or poorly ventilated room: “In spite of the open windows the stench had become a reeking fug”

From www.dictionary.com
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:45 pm

Honestly, I hope Snape really is evil.

Just so Harry can say "I told you so" :p

Seriously though, I'm finding that Snape bears a lot of similarities to Voldemort.

So, as Branthur said, maybe he's not on either side...

Why, it could even turn out that Snape is the 'last boss' as it were:

"Good Potter good! You've removed Voldemort from power. Now...fulfil your destiny, and take your place at my right hand!"
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:40 pm

Vandic wrote:
Branthur wrote:In book 7, Harry and Voldemort will dual...and in their weakened state, Neville will kill them both, and take his rightful mantle as the new dark lord.

*nod me*

actually I think the greatest twist for the "harry potter" series would be for Lord V to rip little harry a new blow hole and for Nevile (the true chosen one) to tap dance on Lord V's tonsils!!

just my take on the most surprising ending EVAR!

A
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:46 pm

Lahgen wrote:Honestly, I hope Snape really is evil.

Just so Harry can say "I told you so" :p

Seriously though, I'm finding that Snape bears a lot of similarities to Voldemort.

So, as Branthur said, maybe he's not on either side...

Why, it could even turn out that Snape is the 'last boss' as it were:

"Good Potter good! You've removed Voldemort from power. Now...fulfil your destiny, and take your place at my right hand!"

Game Cliches wrote:You Die, And We All Move Up In Rank - During that fake ending, the true villain of the story will kill the guy you'd thought was the villain, just to demonstrate what a badass he (the true villain) really is. You never get to kill the fake villain yourself.

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html
Thanuk OOC: 'thats 6 years of hard work, come to fruitition in 1 single statement'
Was Felton Orm the "Wizard of Auz" ?

Lorsalian Silvermist -- Seeker of the Complete MUD Cookkit
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:59 pm

I found an interview with JKR online the other day.. she's going to start on book 7 around the end of the year.. and it's going to be the last book in the series, or so she says.. she also said that 6 contains alot of clues as far as what's going to happen in 7....

I think Branthur maybe on to something with the whole RAB thing..
and as far as the " chosen one " thing goes Voldy picked the person.. there was never anything more to the profesey(sp?) than the fact that voldy would mark the person his equal.. and he did just that to harry..

Everything, hopefully, will be cleared up in book 7 though.. now we just gotta wait :(
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:34 pm

hmm in a TV interview .. i thought she said the series was complete .. tyhen again i thought there were 8 books until a few days ago :(

Return to “General Discussion Archive”