Shoppers shopping close to closing time.

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
ssar
Sojourner

Shoppers shopping close to closing time.

Postby ssar » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:41 am

I recently read someone complaining about shoppers that come in 5 mins before closing time at certain shops, and how "they have all day to shop, don't leave it til the last minute" etc., specifically referring to a pharmacy where it takes them 20 mins to prepare scripts and hate it when ppl come in for them close to closing time..

Every retail shop should stay open from right on the advertised opening time right up to the advertised closing time, each & every time.

They should offer all possible services, and be as functional as possible in all aspects from and to those advertised times, barring food for health reasons etc.

They should advertise (clear signage) any special variations to not offering any services accordingly, warning customers of such policies as taking no new scripts after 20 mins b4 closing time, or not taking any more food orders half hour b4 closing, etc etc.

It is up to management to ensure this is done clearly, with discussion/understanding between all staff, and according to applicable laws & regulations.

Any staff who have to clock on & off at a certain time should never be expected to carry out any unpaid work before or after then.
So if customers come in towards closing time and thus force the shop to function after then, staff should be paid to be there/carry on until they actually finish, or staff should be able to finish right on time anyway, and management carry on as required.

If management expects services that take some time like scripts etc to be offered right up to the advertised closing time, then staff should be paid for half an hour after closing time, as well as be made aware of this in advance.

If management expects a shop to be open and functional at 09:00, and it takes 15 mins or so to set it up, open doors, prepare cash registers/displays etc, then the staff should be rostered to start and paid from 08:45, etc too.

Unfortunately, in the real world, many shop owners/managers are lazy pricks just trying to squeeze as much as they can out of staff and by way of profit, regardless.. Such a shame.
BEER
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:02 am

the way i figure it, when a shop says closes at 9pm. it means they start turning away people at 9pm. If they want to be going home at 9pm then they need to write closing at 8:30 pm.

I absolutely F*ing hate it when i show up to a store 10 minutes before closing, their clock reads 5 minutes till closing and they try and tell me they are closed. I just go in anyways, call management and in general act like myself. I'll bang on the door for 15 minutes if they've locked them. They usually choose to serve me instead as they should given their advertised hours.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:23 am

That's also why the job is called "Customer Service"
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:04 am

the place i work part time as a second job *closes* at 9:30, but customers are allowed in til 9:30, and we dont stop our registers until the last customer leaves

thought all retail was that way

they are in the business of customer service dammit, and we have all had an emergency or so and had to get to a store 1 minute prior to close .. hell i have gotten to the beer store at 1155 and its a law they cant sell beer after midnight (sucky huh) .. i'd los eit if i couldnt get mah cerveza!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:46 am

The ultimate irony is in the hypocricy of many last-minute shoppers.

If someone swooped in on them at their jobs a minute before they were going to get ready to go home, then made them stuck around for an hour, they'd be just as pissed.

But you know, people will be people.

Businesses that know how to serve their customers will probably go under anyway. We all know we shop where the prices are lowest for the quality of goods are looking for.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 am

Jeez Tef, do you have to go Jack Handy on shopping?

'The futile, ironic, hypocratic nature of the human species as it relates to customer service, as told by Teflor, the Ranger.' Now there's a #1 bestseller.
--Hey, Look, I just regenerated a finger. Guess which one.
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=191
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:37 pm

Johnny Five is Alive?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Hsoj
Sojourner
Location: Not close enough to stalk... Latitude 45°30'30" Longitude -121°50'30"

Postby Hsoj » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:27 pm

I got a weekend retail job i need to leave for in a hour.

At 6 we close the doors and turn people away but inside poeple may shop for as long as they want.

what pisses me off is after they make their purchase and walk around the store some more instead of leaving, WTF?!
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:12 am

If you're working in a job of customer service, you need to give your customers service. *shrug*

On the other hand, only somewhat related...there is always Vinegar Boy

There just are some jobs that, well..I can't blame the employees for being a bit surley on occasion. ;)
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:15 am

Here in Hickville Wal-Mart never closes, so put that in your Pope and Smite it.
emote Rescuepractice
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:06 pm

kiryan wrote:the way i figure it, when a shop says closes at 9pm. it means they start turning away people at 9pm. If they want to be going home at 9pm then they need to write closing at 8:30 pm.

I absolutely F*ing hate it when i show up to a store 10 minutes before closing, their clock reads 5 minutes till closing and they try and tell me they are closed. I just go in anyways, call management and in general act like myself. I'll bang on the door for 15 minutes if they've locked them. They usually choose to serve me instead as they should given their advertised hours.

If you ever did that at the beer store I used to work at, i woulda rung you up, followed you outside, kicked the living shit outta you and stole your beer. you really are a miserable bastard, harassing poor people making 6 bucks an hour to drag bar codes by a little scanner thingie. WHY DONT YOU GO TO THE STORE AT A NORMAL TIME INSTEAD OF 10 SECONDS BEFORE IT CLOSES? In fact, why don't you go roll around in barbed wire with magic johnson?
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”