New Orleans

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:49 pm

We rely WAAAYYY too much on what we see on tv, ei. the news. The news presents their point of view hence all the suffering black people and they turn it into a race issue because that will stir things up and make it news worthy. Is it possible that the population of New Orleans was mostly black to begin with? So yeah you'd see most of the people affected by the storm as such.
And an issue of slow reponse has been made. Has a flood like this ever happened before? How long did it take to get troups into Florida when Andrew hit? Certainly there wasn't the deep water and looters to deal with was there? So given these factors was the reponse time in reality slow? Personally I'd never live in an area where the ocean would naturally be or a river that is held back my man made structures. The Mississippi has washed people away more than once because we think we can hold it back and build homes where it would naturally flow.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:53 pm

Latreg wrote:We rely WAAAYYY too much on what we see on tv, ei. the news. The news presents their point of view hence all the suffering black people and they turn it into a race issue because that will stir things up and make it news worthy. Is it possible that the population of New Orleans was mostly black to begin with? So yeah you'd see most of the people affected by the storm as such.
And an issue of slow reponse has been made. Has a flood like this ever happened before? How long did it take to get troups into Florida when Andrew hit? Certainly there wasn't the deep water and looters to deal with was there? So given these factors was the reponse time in reality slow? Personally I'd never live in an area where the ocean would naturally be or a river that is held back my man made structures. The Mississippi has washed people away more than once because we think we can hold it back and build homes where it would naturally flow.

Thank you for saying that Latreg.

Trust me, I live in AL and people south of us got hammered pretty badly too. (They have YET to recover from last year, as they were in the rebuilding stages.)

Kindly remember folks that the news is only going to show what they think everyone will watch whether its 100% accurate or not. The Red Cross is actually begging people to NOT go down there to help until they have gone through disaster training. It's just DANGEROUS for the people trying to HELP! Training would take time, hence the "slow response" people are griping about.

Also, I don't know about you, but in our area everyone is collecting to send financial assistance down to help everyone that needs it. It IS a case of cleaning up, but then the complete devastation could not totally be expected. I can't personally go down and help. I'd love to, but I have neither the training nor someone to watch my kids while I pitch in. We have donated. That is the nature of humans as a whole. Something goes wrong and we try to help. I'm checking with the churches in the area that are gathering items like clothing and such to donate to people who have lost everything.

For those of you who have the little extra to help, here are a couple of links.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html

http://www.redshield.org/crisis/
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:20 pm

My boss and a guy that rents office space from us both flew their airplanes down to Mississippi (separatly) over this long weekend. Not sure what my boss is planning on doing, but the guy that rents from us is a trained EMT in addition to his day job as a programmer.

I think they took a load of supplies donated by their respective churches down there and will be helping to ferry people around if necesarry also.

Pretty sure you'd have to be insane to go to NOLA unless you were a completely trained disaster recovery person or a member of the National Guard.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:00 pm

Every soldier we send down there IS another refugee.

Soldiers need to be housed, fed, and 'evacuated' eventually.

Every truck we send down there needs fuel.

Every bus we send down there needs fuel.

500,000 people
50 people per bus
10,000 bus trips (The entire Greyhound fleet is only about 2,000 buses.)
350 miles (New Orleans to Houston)
5 miles per gallon (typical tour bus gas milage)
1,400,000 gallons of gasoline used (assuming one round trip per bus, not including initial journey down to area)

Get the picture?

No one has the right to be evacuated. Our government and local governments will be doing the best they can.

Can it be better managed? Always. Nothing goes according to plan.

Were there major mistakes made? Of course. The federal government assumed that it wouldn't need security for US aid workers on US soil among US civilians. With the gunshots that were fired at aid vehicles and policemen, it's clear that was a poor assumption.

This was a spectacular disasterous event. It has been met with a spectacular relief effort by some of the most highly trained and dedicated volunteers on the planet. With New Orleans evacuated less than a week after landfall, and civilian casualties minimal (official LA death toll at the present time is 59 at shelters across New Orleans, though likely to be in the thousands across the state) despite the uncooperative behavior of the victims, we look towards the challenge of the future.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Trilcaa
Sojourner

Postby Trilcaa » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:39 am

hey all this is Trilca/Rika/Biara/Jera from old Sojourn/Toril days and most recently from Duris admin staff etc. Well.. more recently, from WoW :P

Anyway.. Dalar posted a link to this on our WoW guild forums and I wanted to pipe in and wish those from my old stomping grounds the best of luck with the disaster that's occurred.

Another New Orleans person from back when in the old days would be Mytzle/Tommy.. as of 10 days ago we'd talked on MSN, but I haven't seen him on since the hurricane (duh) so I am praying that he made it through okay. If anyone does have contact with him, please feel free to email me to let me konw? I do worry bout the guy ;/ email is : trilcaa@hotmail.com

oh btw what slacker stole the Trilca name *growl* couldn't create that for an acct!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:45 pm

Rokub is alive and well. One of the highest level people on Everwar right now too.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:24 am

Just got ahold of Saitcho (Dale), and he says that he's okay. His house didn't suffer too much damage and he got evacuated safely. Still no word from Fayren, tried calling her a few times.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”