Advertising Outside The Box

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Vigis
Sojourner

Advertising Outside The Box

Postby Vigis » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:41 pm

I've been kicking around an idea for awhile now of advertising in college newspapers to try to get new players to play here. I don't have the tools to create graphics, so Botef offered to help me.

The links below contain artwork that is the sole property of Botef. He has given permission for it to be used as advertising for Toril Mud. Any other uses, especially those involving profit, need to be cleared with Botef in writing (unless he decides to consider them public domain).

First off, I would like to say that he has done a GREAT job! These are some very cool images and I am impressed.

With college coming back into full swing, I will be placing an ad in the newspaper at the college from which I graduated (hopefully it will make it into this or next month's edition). I ask that everybody try to place an ad into their former college newspaper, college students have a large amount of free time, and it is when I was in college that I started playing here.

If you place an ad, please post the wording that you will use in it so that others might borrow your slogan.

Mine will say:

Good Evil

Life Death

War (All text will be on top of the image) Peace

Friends Enemies

What will you be?

Visitwww.torilmud.org to learn about a FREE immersive world of role playing balanced with a healthy dose of hack and slash play!'

Here are Botef's images:
http://www.playspoon.com/malevolentorder/Toril1.jpg
http://www.playspoon.com/malevolentorder/Toril2.jpg
http://www.playspoon.com/malevolentorder/Toril3.jpg

Again, GREAT JOB BOTEF!
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:46 pm

Bleh, it didn't post the spaces in between the words :( The words on the left will be on the left side of the ad, the ones on the right (obviously) will be on the right. The rest will be centered along the bottom.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:23 am

These are totally public domain as far as I'm concerned...Feel free to tweak, modify, utilize, whatever...My only request is that if you decide to use these images on your own website you rehost them on your domain space.

Furthermore, if anyone needs these tweaked in anyway, text added or removed, converted to different formats, etc, just let me know.

:)
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:07 am

Strong work. I agree that most of us learned in college...let's get the word out and see what we can scare up!
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:07 am

Very nice, B. (&V)

N
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:19 pm

I like it but one important image is not there, you need a hot female druid to temp new players :wink:
Azuth OOC: 'and a pic of Slavan's clutch: priceless'
Malar OOC: '<worn on head> Slavan's black lacy thong, with a huge racing stripe in it'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:05 am

Bump!

Anybody other than me willing to try this? I went to a small college so don't know how it will impact us.

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:08 am

Not to mention, we are doing really really bad on the voting sites. . .if nothing else (since you opened this thread) go vote.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:54 am

I always thought we should pay muma to icq people at random with her picture and tell them they could chat with her online at torilmud.org 9999.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:11 pm

kiryan wrote:I always thought we should pay muma to icq people at random with her picture and tell them they could chat with her online at torilmud.org 9999.

rofl

I've posted probably 20 or 30 B&W prints of these around campus on bulletin boards and the like. Still need to stop by the IT building though, cause the 'puter dorks on this campus never leave their little dungeon :P
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:54 pm

nt
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:50 pm

those images are all too dark,

where are the pink bunnies?
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:12 pm

Bumping this for 2 reasons.

Reason #1 Stupid internet security system at work won't let me open up the links to see if the images are still there and I want to be able to find them when I get home.

Reason #2 A guy I work with has a second job at a comic book store that does events for gamers etc. and has said he will get put the fliers up at the store and put a stack on the counter.

I figure when geekiness like working at a comic book store shows itself, you have to abuse it :) Print some up and next time you make a run to the comic book store to buy yourself some new table-top pieces (don't lie, I know you do it) see if they'll set a stack of them out.

*If you can't tell, I'm on another little advertising kick*

So go vote now.

Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:04 pm

I'll print some more of these and post them around again.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:20 pm

New round of fliers hitting the comic book store tonight :)

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:33 pm

Thank you Vigis. :)

In return, Tia promises to only kill you 23 times, instead of the usual 40.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Indeed now is a good time with college back in session...Will run some more off and stick em up on WSU and UI's campus'....Mmmm I love running a print shop if for nothing else the perks!
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'

// Post Count +1
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:40 pm

Shevarash wrote:Thank you Vigis. :)

In return, Tia promises to only kill you 23 times, instead of the usual 40.

This is Vigis we're talking about, there's no way he'll die less than 50 times.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:01 pm

Wow, Botef, that's some GREAT artwork you've done!

Although it's really quite obvious the females have had a boob job.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:26 pm

If you could magically augment your body, don't pretend you wouldn't too, Kelly!

On a side note: Isn't it a bit ironic that someone put so much effort into drawing pictures for a text-based game? The pictures are great, I just thought it was kinda funny.

View huge tits in full ansi color on TorilMUD! ( o ) ( o )

(Or Dartan could supply an ASCII anime chick)
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:42 pm

I just got my first confirmed victim of the fliers! One of the guys I work with snagged one when I gave them to the person who works at the comic book store. He gave it to his son, and he and his friends will be logging on tonight to try it out.

Be nice to the newbies!

P.S. I think newbie weapons should be given some shiny procs that do little or no damage, but proc more than dual khanjari's on a hasted rogue. Instant gratification and all that :)

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:44 pm

BTW, if anybody wants some fliers, pm me with your email addie and I'll send them to you.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:14 pm

Vigis wrote:I just got my first confirmed victim of the fliers! One of the guys I work with snagged one when I gave them to the person who works at the comic book store. He gave it to his son, and he and his friends will be logging on tonight to try it out.

Be nice to the newbies!

P.S. I think newbie weapons should be given some shiny procs that do little or no damage, but proc more than dual khanjari's on a hasted rogue. Instant gratification and all that :)

You know, that's kind of a kickass idea!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:35 am

You need more players? Give them a reason to play here. Improve the mud.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:21 pm

If the weapons were only usable in Scardale, that'd be cool I guess. But what ever happened to earning the cool stuff? That was always the most fun for me, getting that new shiny toy that did something cool. Oh Lost Sword, how I loved you... and the first time someone let me use their flambarge... *drool*
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:12 pm

The first cool thing I ever got was waaaaaaaay back at the beginning of this wipe, when I found Alphabet and somebody really nice actually helped me put a group together to kill it. I was amazed. It was the first group I'd ever been in, too.

I couldn't use the sword, of course, had no clue what I was doing... it all started out with me asking somebody about this big dragon I'd just found on Evermeet, and they took it upon themselves to help me get it. I remember Gormal doing his best to trade me out of it after it landed in my hands, but I just couldn't give it up. It wasn't just that it was COOL... it was the first thing I got on what was somewhat my own merit. It wasn't given to me. In a way, it was the first really nice item I'd earned in the game.

That sword is still in my storage, and I've been totally hooked ever since.

Wanna keep a newbie? Don't give them bread, but teach them how to grow wheat.... really cool wheat that sprouts rippling longswords.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:25 pm

I still want that damned sword Kel!

Return to “General Discussion Archive”