Networking Basic Question (I Hope)

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
kwirl
Sojourner

Networking Basic Question (I Hope)

Postby kwirl » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:57 am

I've got 5 computers set up in my second living room downstairs, with a wireless linksys router. 4 of the computers are hardwired, and one of them is connected via a wireless card.

I've got 3 of the hardwired PC's networked on a local network, but the fourth computer refuses to allow itself to connect to the network. I run the LAN configuration with windows xp, enter the pc name/description, and then the same workgroup that the others are on, it claims to be on a network, yet it does not actually join the network.

I'm not a complete novice to networking, but I've been away from troubleshooting for a long enough time to be unsure what to do. Any basic troubleshooting steps or measures i've taken, but still no-go :(

What steps should I do to set this up? Is there a way to just remove them all or what should i try?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:55 am

did you try swapping out cards with that computer and one of the hardwired cards yet?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:07 pm

The computer that won't connect is on the wireless card?

Make sure the default network selected is your own. It might be connecting to another one?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:52 pm

So your 4th hardwired computer can't see the other machines in the workgroup eh?

> Wait a few minutes and hit refresh. The other computers within the workgroup may come up after a little while.

> Windows XP Home has a 5 device networking limitation. (but you should still get a couple of the computers showing up in the network browser, probably not your problem)

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;318030
Read the above and follow the steps to reset your NetBIOS and Computer Browser services.

> IMPORTANT: Get on your pc that doesn't show the other computers, and try accessing the other machines directly. In the address bar: \\machinename - and hit enter. If the machine comes up, then you just need to wait for a few minutes then refresh. If that doesn't work, try going to one of your working computers and try to access your machine that can't see the other computers. \\bustedcomp If it can access the machine that can't see the others, then you'll need to try restarting computer browser and NetBIOS services on bustedcomp.

> Check to make sure all computers are actually connected to the router. Ping the router to see if you are indeed connected. Also go into your router's configuration and make sure that if there is a number of connections limit, that it is high enough to accomodate all of your machines (on linksys routers, often times a dhcp limit of '3' means 2 computers. perhaps it counts itself? or something about ghosted connections, your router will no doubt have its own issues)

> Swap network ports on the router, see if perhaps one of them has gone bad. Try swapping network cables, as they go bad as well. If cables and router ports are good, you may want to try swapping network cards if and only if you get no connectivity whatsoever (no internet, no ping, no nothing).

> Sticks and stones will break my bones, but they make me feel better when I use them to hit the computers.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”