Teenager suspended for speaking Spanish in the halls

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Dalar
Sojourner

Teenager suspended for speaking Spanish in the halls

Postby Dalar » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:05 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10372148/

I'm glad I live in a city that isn't retarded like Kansas City!
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:08 pm

The country has no official language, but yew tawlk funneh.

Die terrorist. Then we can ordeer up sum fryed pertaters, mmmhm.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:14 pm

I hope that principal and the whole schoolboard fries for that crap.

I am all for multi linguial society. Damned closed minded people are not helping the situation at all. If they want more people to learn english, they should be more compassionate than that. Its not like English is as easy as ordering hooked on phonics and learning it when you are an immigrant. And in the case of this kid, he is fluent in both languages so there must have been some other underlying bs that led to this. Either that or that school district is just in dire need of an asswhooping.

I've seen Americans go to foreign countries and get pissed because the people choose not to speak/learn english to accomodate them. That same sort of people are the ones that enforce things like this.

Pick up a spanish book Billy-Bob..its really not that hard a language to master. Try learning Japanese or Chinese..then you will have a bit of a challenge.
Kallinar goes MOO
Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:27 pm

I'm just sitting here thinking A) does the school offer spanish as a class (of course it does) and B) would any non-hispanic speaking spanish in the halls face that bish?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:45 pm

Kind of a little bit overboard..

On the other hand, my wife who is a teacher has a kid in her 7th grade math class who has been in the country for 6 years and speaks hardly any english at all. He just moved from a different district where all his classes were in spanish with other spanish speaking kids. Not only is it horrible that someone could grow up in this country disadvantaged to that extent (unable to get a job, get a higher degree, etc.), but I believe that it is grossly negligent on the part of his prior school district to allow that to happen.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:58 pm

I agree on that aspect. Kids like that should be in the good ole special ed classes that are strict on english learning skills.

I grew up in the schools of south Louisiana and i really never saw kids speaking anything other than english, but in second grade I was being taught french...Guess thats just the coonass schools.

Anyhow...I agree that the kids should be pressured into learning english when they are attending American schools due to the fact that it is indeed still the dominant language in American society.

I just completely disagree on someone being booted out of school for using their innocent useage of free speech in a non-controlled enviroment such as a hallway between classes. If this was the general rule, you would see latino, asian, russian, ect ect kids across the country being booted out enmasse.

And yeah..if a white kid were to walk up to a teacher in that school and say "Que pasa profesor?" would they get the boot too?

I know my parent's would have had the principal's ass on a pike outside our house if that ever happened to me back in the days.
Kallinar goes MOO

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:09 pm

Corth wrote:Kind of a little bit overboard..

On the other hand, my wife who is a teacher has a kid in her 7th grade math class who has been in the country for 6 years and speaks hardly any english at all. He just moved from a different district where all his classes were in spanish with other spanish speaking kids. Not only is it horrible that someone could grow up in this country disadvantaged to that extent (unable to get a job, get a higher degree, etc.), but I believe that it is grossly negligent on the part of his prior school district to allow that to happen.

Corth

We had those classes in Chicago; however, I believe they actually taught them English in the Spanish speaking classes, and when the kids started speaking English well enough they would send them to the English speaking classes.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:40 pm

Okay.. I grew up in New Mexico. Yes, I'm a good old fashioned Anglo Saxon, blue-eyed, brownish haired (sigh mostly silver *yay genetics* now) woman.

The part that would irritate me to absolute NO end is the way the town I grew up in was forced to accomidate the population that refused to learn english. Trust me, there was no lack of ways to learn it, free of charge even.

Granted I learned enough mexican (I use this term lightly, because the spanish taught in school (castellian), and the spanish spoken were practically two separate languages...) to pick a fight, order mexican food fluently, and converse okay with my best friend's grandfather. To be honest once I started taking French my skills started going the way of the dodo, though I still understand it when someone is speaking it to me for the most part, I just start speaking Sprench back at them. *halo*

I have absolutely nothing against people retaining their cultural identity, I'm heartily for it, but anyone that moves into the US, is moving into a place where English (while it might not be a federally recognized thing) is the prime language. If I moved to France or Germany, I'd be in the next foreign language class I could find.

Would I teach my kids only the language of the place we lived in? Heck no. Its that whole retaining my cultural identity, that identity my children share. Would I expect the schools in the place we lived to teach my kids their native language? Definately not. That is the family's responsibility. As far as I'm concerned, when someone moves to the States, they need to accomidate their new home, not the other way around. Especially if they wish to take their place in our society.

Should the kid get chucked out of school for speaking spanish in the halls? If its not a published school rule, definately not, and the principal should be penalized. However the article did mention that the kids had been warned previously, and were asked to stop. In my opinion, yes they went overboard. That would be like my daughter walking up to a fellow student and saying "Bonjour," instead of What's up?
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:20 am

I'm just left wondering... Do we still live in a free country?

It's like that joke I heard, where we should give Iraq our constitution. It's been proven to work for 200 years, plus we're not using it anymore!
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:33 am

*laughs at llaaldara's post*

live in my country, speak my language.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:41 am

Then have 'your' country quit teaching spanish in high school! Next thing we'll do is hide from the SS when we are hoping to speak a different language
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:42 am

Lilira wrote: I just start speaking Sprench back at them. *halo*

Sprench..i know that one..is that like "Donde estas la toilette sil'vous plait?"
Kallinar goes MOO

Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:42 am

What the heck does "No problema" mean anyway. Damn foreigners.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Hey, what makes it someone's country ala 'live in my country, speak my language'?

Is it who was here first or maybe who is in the majority?

Could be problematic...

And as for immigrants just hustling off to semi-weekly language classes, perhaps you haven't quite thought through the logistics of that situation completely.

If I were Hispanic I wouldn't be sweating it too much though. Kicking the new guy while he's down is just our American way of saying "Hi! welcome to the neighborhood."
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Ignorance

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:09 am

I was born in Spain from two hispanic parents who had come to the U.S. years before. We returned to the U.S. when I was 2. When I started Kindergarten in the U.S. I only spoke Spanish. All my classes were in English. I learned English in the first month I was in school. Teaching kids in Spanish in the U.S. to get them "accustomed" is retardedly stupid on the part of the moronic liberals in charge of education. If you come here, learn English. The problem is, many don't understand that idea whatsoever. Ignorance can be a real threat to one's future sadly.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:23 pm

Its a gross violation of civil rights and the teacher involved should definitely face criminal charges. They should also be forced to learn one language of their choice. Spanish would probably be a good pick.

Viva los estados unitos! Viva su libredad!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:34 pm

It's not actually surprising that incidents like this occur in public schools. To attend a public school is to already have surrendered a boatload of rights: personal property, protection from unreasonable search and seizure, freedom of speech, right to keep and bear arms. Public school is the only place where you don’t have a right to a trial of your peers and maybe subjected to punishment outside the law.

The only reason this is news is because some media outlet thought they might be able to stretch the story over ethnic tensions or create some sort of black on white on yellow drama that everyone in America loves to hear.

If the children were speaking in Chinese, or Arabic, they may well have been asked to use only English while inside the school as well, so it’s not necessarily a specific racial issue.

In fact, in some school districts you even lose the right to your religion, where prayer is not even allowed while you’re at school.

That all being said, if you’re still attending the public school system, I personally recommend the following:

1) Pray. Even if you’re not religious, just so that if you ever become religious you’ll be able to.
2) Speak as many languages as you can pick up. Chinese, Arabic, German, Spanish, Italian, French, and yes even English.
3) Write and publish as best as your school’s regulations allow. Then a little more.
4) Say Under God, or Allah, or even L. Ron Hubbard if you so desire.
5) Discuss the theory of Intelligent Design and Wrathful Dispersion - and point out that they’re just theories.
6) Sue every time you or your locker is searched.
7) Don’t bring guns, but carry your marksmanship and gun safety card with you.
8) Encourage your fellow classmates to never stop thinking.

The bottom line is, that in this school, punishing students for using another language, no matter what the reason (gang and hate speech prevention, safety concerns, etc.) that this is about control.

Schools need a level of control to ensure the safety of our children and we need to give that level of control to them.

But we also have to point out and remind them when they have gone too far.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
muma
Sojourner

omfg

Postby muma » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:05 pm

that is really f8*ked up that the kid was suspended for speaking spanish!
i am so pro foreign languages it's not even funny.
also, it's really hard for foreigners who move here with their family to pick up on the country's language. because they're at home speaking the native language of course. my mom came here by herself so she picked up on the language really quickly and hardly has an accent (i don't notice an accent, but other ppl do). her family however came here with families so their english isn't as good, even tho they've been here for a long time. they speak english fluently, but make a lot of grammatical mistakes, etc. (minus my grandma who doesn't really speak english)
american families who go to other countries, well i don't have the stats, but they often don't seem to become fluent in the country's language, maybe conversational. the kids are better at picking it up ofc. ok, that ramble didn't really go anywhere, but whatever.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:05 pm

Well said, Teflor.
Dalar
Sojourner

Re: omfg

Postby Dalar » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:41 pm

muma wrote:that is really f8*ked up that the kid was suspended for speaking spanish!
i am so pro foreign languages it's not even funny.
also, it's really hard for foreigners who move here with their family to pick up on the country's language. because they're at home speaking the native language of course. my mom came here by herself so she picked up on the language really quickly and hardly has an accent (i don't notice an accent, but other ppl do). her family however came here with families so their english isn't as good, even tho they've been here for a long time. they speak english fluently, but make a lot of grammatical mistakes, etc. (minus my grandma who doesn't really speak english)
american families who go to other countries, well i don't have the stats, but they often don't seem to become fluent in the country's language, maybe conversational. the kids are better at picking it up ofc. ok, that ramble didn't really go anywhere, but whatever.

huh?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 am

Corth wrote:Kind of a little bit overboard..

Corth

you're married?!

edit-- added !
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Yeah, gotta say, big hi-5 Teflor..

Return to “General Discussion Archive”