War is Hell...the use of WMD on our troops in Iraq

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:39 pm

daggaz wrote:The gist of it is, organisations linked to Nato or the US government (The people making it, using it, and selling DU weapons systems) tend to say its not that harmful (with very shortterm research as a basis) while private doctors and physists claim the exact opposite. Most physicists would just tell you you are crazy to trust it, based simply on sound theory and not needing further studies. The doctors actually correlate data from civilians in areas of use (Iraq and the Balkans, test areas in the states such as in Nevada) and military personal, looking for high incidences of nastiness. They find it, every time.

This fails to address the conclusions of independant research organizations, as well as the scientific community in general.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:43 am

Rylan has sexy legs.
Zukal
Sojourner

Postby Zukal » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:02 am

I agree wholely with Gormal on this. I am a member of the US Armed Forces, I intentionally and willingly put myself in situations that are hazardous to my health. More often than not I have to be lectured for hours on end as to what I need to do to keep myself safe.

According to the World Health Organization, which has done several studies on the effects of depleted uranium,
"Potentially depleted uranium has both chemical and radiological toxicity with the two important target organs being the kidneys and the lungs. Health consequences are determined by the physical and chemical nature of the depleted uranium to which an individual is exposed, and to the level and duration of exposure.
Long-term studies of workers exposed to uranium have reported some impairment of kidney function depending on the level of exposure. However, there is also some evidence that this impairment may be transient and that kidney function returns to normal once the source of excessive uranium exposure has been removed.
Insoluble inhaled uranium particles, 1-10 µm in size, tend to be retained in the lung and may lead to irradiation damage of the lung and even lung cancer if a high enough radiation dose results over a prolonged period.
Direct contact of depleted uranium metal with the skin, even for several weeks, is unlikely to produce radiation-induced erythema (superficial inflammation of the skin) or other short term effects. Follow-up studies of veterans with embedded fragments in the tissue have shown detectable levels of depleted uranium in the urine, but without apparent health consequences.
The radiation dose to military personnel within an armoured vehicle is very unlikely to exceed the average annual external dose from natural background radiation from all sources."

I find the WHO a much more reliable source than the SFBayView and the Canadian Coaltion for Nuclear Responsibility. I as a member of the armed forces realize that there will be things asked of me that are not exactly healthy, and exposure to these things could have long lasting impacts on my health. I accepted my role when I joined the military as did all of the troops you hear about in Iraq and Afghanistan.

To me this sounds no more harmful that cigarette smoke, and if it comes down to me having to be exposed to this, which is "potentially" harmful and the tank that is coming at me not being destroyed because we don't have the proper munitions, I'll quickly chose the tank to be destroyed.

The paper I quoted from can be found at:
http://www.who.int/ionizing_radiation/p ... DU_Eng.pdf
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:55 am

I havent played in over a year and I hardly post here... but I have a good friend whos like 55 and was a TC in the army guard for years in DU tanks... and hes just fine.

Thats not to say its zero risk, but many of our troops are constantly exposed to it and I have yet to read a real study linking it to anything horrible.

jus sayin' is all.
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>

Return to “General Discussion Archive”