The Chronicles of Narnia: LWW(No Spoilers pls)

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Lilira
Sojourner

The Chronicles of Narnia: LWW(No Spoilers pls)

Postby Lilira » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:49 pm

OMG..

We went and saw this last night. It was INCREDIBLE!!!

I was so prepared to go and be disappointed given Disney's LOVE of screwing up storylines, but I honestly have to say they did a BRILLIANT job.

Has anyone else heard that they're planning on doing all or at least a couple of them?

If you only get to choose one movie to see for the holidays and you're tossing up between Harry Potter and LWW... toss HP out the Owlry window and go see Narnia!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:36 pm

well if you have seen the rest of the harry potters, you will go see the latest and be dissapointed, but gotta admit i will go see them all

Narnia rocked, indeed it did. Saw it opening night.

and afaik they are going to make them all?
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:01 pm

Hmmm... is that a new acronym I don't know about?? *grin*
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:26 pm

I watched it last Thursday, and I was equally impressed.

However, I'm still confused as to why they made the 2nd book of the series into a movie instead of the 1st. Anyone done any researching or questioning on this themselves? I was thinking maybe they were intending on tying in The Magician's Nephew as the 2nd movie.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:46 pm

I found a link that explained that!!!

The first book he wrote/published was The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

The Magician's Nephew was written a few years LATER.

After a child wrote CS Lewis questioning this, publishers started changing the order of the books printed on the spines.

Here's the whole story: http://www.factmonster.com/spot/narnia-books.html

Found it kinda interesting myself when I went looking last night to see which movie would be next.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:56 pm

Right, so why does Disney have to be retarded about everything? :)

The books I read when I was a kid were already many years old, I wouldn't be surprised if they were close to one of the first printings, and they were ordered just as they've been to this date. My reasoning is that the Disney staff obviously hasn't read the books, they just wanted an epic story to make money off of because Peter Jackson did it so well.

So, in short: Yes, Disney studios is still retarded.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:37 pm

LAugh..

No one is arguing that Yas.. I just said they did well with the movie!

It wasn't a remake of one of their own movies... *gasp* *faint*
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:00 pm

afaik

As Far as I know
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:05 pm

Laugh.. I knew I was missing something. Thanks Ambar
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:02 am

Aye, really enjoyed it. Having read the books many times when I was young I had pretty high expectations, they did a really good job. The movie captured the feel of the book very well, didn't wield a religious baseball bat like people were afraid. Just gotta take it for what it is, a pretty good fantasy flick for a younger audience (or younger at heart).

And yes, they're planning on doin the next several, although there's talk of skipping the magicians nephew.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:44 am

I saw it yesterday and was absolutely floored at how gorgeous it was. I was really expecting Aslan to be kinda cheesy, but instead he was a thing of total beauty.

As for them "not wielding a religious baseball bat" ... I was a bit disappointed that so many of the religious connotations were taken out. If I hadn't read the books so many times as a child, I certainly wouldn't have any clue of Aslan's real place in Narnia from the movie. Some of the total awe of the character seemed to be lacking for me. I was also disappointed at how toned down that cabal at the Table was. I was expecting a real heart-wrenching scene and it was just too abbreviated to have that full impact.

I also would have liked to have seen more of the strategizing they did, as those scenes brought out so much more of the animal's characterizations than the movie really depicted.

The queen... Damn, I don't think I've ever seen more perfect casting than picking her for that role. She's all I ever wanted in the bitch queen of Narnia, and I must say... "That's one dem fine woman, a dem fine woman."

Other than that little bit of nitpicking, it was easily one of the best movies I've seen in a long, long time. They could have easily dropped another half hour into the movie and I never would have complained or wriggled in my seat once.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!

Return to “General Discussion Archive”