Pimp My PC?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Pimp My PC?

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:25 pm

http://www.dell.com/html/us/products/ces/index.htm

Hey tech-heads, what's the word on this?
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:38 pm

that thing's a beast
Kallinar goes MOO
Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:52 pm

a beast it may be. but i can do the same thing -all the fancy paint and other case graphics, and sell it for 2k less than dell.

yay for low overhead!
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:57 pm

Actually, I doubt you can do as fancy of a paint job as Mike Lavallee. This guy does flames with an airbrush like nobody's business. I'm guessing the paint job alone is valued at $1k if each one is actually done by Mike himself freehand, and not some sticker they silkscreen on after he did an original.

Last I checked the Quad SLi thing is a new feature also.

As for paint and a fancy case making your computer better, I wasn't aware that fancy paint made the CPU run faster. Interesting concept though. I'm going to go airbrush my plain beige case and put some neon in it right away so that I can play the latest games without putting new guts in! *rolls eyes all the way back into their sockets*
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:00 pm

i said without the paint and graphics :-P

quad SLi can be obtained, if you have the right dealer connections.

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:01 pm

however, i would never market an overclocked system. Thats asking for trouble.

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Ok other then knocking the awesome looking case, and being able to reproduce the same hardware config for a lower price...

What's the lowdown on the system? The new stuff it's offering. The specs. Whats out right now or what's supposed to be coming out in comparison? Did Dell make a big leap forward against the competition, Alienware?

Gimmie real info Techy's! :)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:21 pm

My flaming racecar stickers give my car 5 extra HP.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:45 pm

The dirt and rust on my truck give it +10 Cha. Hah!
Kallinar goes MOO

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:53 pm

Dalar wrote:My flaming racecar stickers give my car 5 extra HP.

Lol, flaming is right :)

Personally, I'd need to know a lot more about that system than they offer -- such as what brand of RAM, what motherboard it has, what brand graphics cards, etc... I can put a couple of shitty sticks of 1gb ram in a computer and call it the bomb shit, but it doesn't mean it is. Also, all 7800 cards are not the same. I also still don't understand why people buy intel machines for gaming. If you're going to buy an overclocked system (something peopel that CAN overclock usually don't do), intel is usually not the way to go for many reasons.

My guess is it's probably a chaintech card and some shitty samsung RAM. Lol, they probably put an old school WD caviar in there to save some money too. People will usually just look at the base stats, so 250gig is 250 gig regardless of the find time.

When it comes down to it, computers like this are just retarded. It takes all of 2hrs to actually piece a system together from scratch, and if one would take the hour or so it takes to learn how to do it, it becomes a much cheaper and better investment than some overpriced shit and outsourced tech support you can't even understand.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:50 pm

Edited by Shar
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:55 pm

That is the sexiest piece of machinery I've ever seen :shock:
Holding this in mind
That if we fall, we all fall
And we fall alone
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:57 pm

Dalar wrote:Edited by Shar

Dammit man..I need more popcorn!
Kallinar goes MOO

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:03 am

Edited by Shar

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:29 am

Edited by Shar
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:57 pm

Dalar wrote:My flaming racecar stickers give my car 5 extra HP.

But do you have a "Type R" (or just plain big red "R") sticker to give it another 10hp?
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:06 pm

On topic...

yeah, it's a fairly pimped system. Quad graphics cards? Sheesh. If you're going to go that far, why not have dual or quad CPUs too?

And then the 2GB of RAM sort of sticks out to me. My own home built system has a single 1GB stick... I could get up to 3GB if I wanted, so I'd sort of think that a "pimped" system would probably have like 4+GB.

Also, it doesn't mention disk size. Again, my system could support 4xSATA disks. I suppose that disk size isn't really a concern for gaming performance, but I would think they'd want the fastest possible type of data transfer available (which, to be honest, could be something else).

Yeah, the custom paint job and being signed by the artist are cool, though frivilous, but being signed by Michael Dell? Maybe he's more of a celebrity than I'm aware of, but to me the signature of the head of a modern computer company is nearly worthless, since it is my assumption that they basically oversee the operation but don't really do much in the way of actual work on the design of their systems.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:53 am

my father just picked up a dual 3.8 cpu system with a dual g-force mx 650 i think it was ill hafto check the serial on it again. 2 gigs of ram 60 gig hard drive prety nifty piece of machine
we had to get a special cooling case for it...
and we still have problems keeping it cooled down.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:04 am

My next PC will be a P4 3.2ghz on an Intel ATX motherboard in a plain beige case. It will have 4 320GB SATA hard drives in a RAID5 array. It will have a basic, plain-jane nVidia PCI-e video card with 256mb RAM onboard. It will have 4 GB of system RAM. It will have 2 DVD+-RW drives. It will have two 19" LCD monitors.

I will be happy. I might even have a Space Ghost sticker I can put on it to 'pimp' it out a bit.
Vaprak, the Destroyer

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:33 am

Vaprak wrote:My next PC will be a P4 3.2ghz on an Intel ATX motherboard in a plain beige case. It will have 4 320GB SATA hard drives in a RAID5 array. It will have a basic, plain-jane nVidia PCI-e video card with 256mb RAM onboard. It will have 4 GB of system RAM. It will have 2 DVD+-RW drives. It will have two 19" LCD monitors.

I will be happy. I might even have a Space Ghost sticker I can put on it to 'pimp' it out a bit.

Have you decided on a power supply?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:29 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Vaprak wrote:My next PC will be a P4 3.2ghz on an Intel ATX motherboard in a plain beige case. It will have 4 320GB SATA hard drives in a RAID5 array. It will have a basic, plain-jane nVidia PCI-e video card with 256mb RAM onboard. It will have 4 GB of system RAM. It will have 2 DVD+-RW drives. It will have two 19" LCD monitors.

I believe a 475 watt Antec. Can't recall the exact model # or specs, but it's at least 450 watts. I already have the PS in my current PC and it's been rock solid in running the 5 HDs I currently have in it along with everything else.
Vaprak, the Destroyer

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:33 am

Vaprak wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

I believe a 475 watt Antec. Can't recall the exact model # or specs, but it's at least 450 watts. I already have the PS in my current PC and it's been rock solid in running the 5 HDs I currently have in it along with everything else.

I enjoyed the 330 Antec. At the very least it was reliable in a fairly high temperature environment (85-95 degrees F) and chugged along for 4 years.

What in the world do you use all that HDD space for?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:16 am

Digital video. Plus I never throw data away.
Vaprak, the Destroyer

Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:11 pm

what I am wondering if what they mean by quad sli is just having 4 seperate monitors hooked up to the dual cards. It also doesn't say what kind of memory (i.e. Manufacturer, whether or not it is registered or non-registered ecc) I'd also have to know what kind of hd would be in it and what type of array it would be in. and what type of interface (i.e. eide, sata, scsi, ultra, etc.) I also want to know what mobo they will be using. and as has been stated before in this thread.. Why the heck are they using intel?

Even though it is my own personal preference I'd rather have a athlon amd 64 x2 4400+ or higher sitting on a asus a8n32 sli-deluxe mobo with some nice registered corsair xms memory. *shrug* just my opinion on that.

Now the paint job really does look nice... But I'm more of what's inside the thing than what's on the outside. I definitely wouldn't spend that much just because of who painted it.

The system I just built minus the software upgrades I purchased ran me just a few dollars over $1800. The only thing I used from my old puter was the mouse, keyboard, and monitor, and speakers... Everything else I purchased.
Got the asus 18n32 sli-deluxe mobo
amd athlon 64 x3 4400+ processor
artic 3 thermal compound
western digital 320G (sata) HD
Pioneer dvr110 dvd r/w
ati radeon x850 xt 256MB video card with the sli 16 interface
2gig registered corsair xms memory (2 1gig sticks)
creative labs sound blaster x-fi sound card
Coolermaster I forget which model. But it is like a dull silver and black.

Also got a cool master 550w ps. The required PS wattage for the asus mobo is a minumum of 550watts otherwise there is issues.

Was going to get an antec but the DOA rate on them has skyrocketed in the past few months. The coolmaster has a little better rating and is quieter.
I may bave had to order the pieces from a few different places but I got the best deal I could. If you know how to build one it's usually cheaper for the best quality stuff. If you know what your doing you can assemble one in just under 2 hours. The hardest and longest part is installing all the damn software. and it takes for friggin ever to format a 320G drive! and even longer if it would have been a scsi type drive due to having to low-level format it.

anyways the system seems nice but would need to know more about it. The spec sheet doesn't say much but what they want you to hear.

Kinda like the difference between guys and gals going out to buy a stereo. Typically speaking the girl wants something that wont take up half a room and has a little dinky remote that looks cute. The guy on the other hand either opts for the one that is bigger or it can be a reasonably sized system but has to have a huge friggin remote with a whole crap ton of buttons.
*shrug*

L8r all,
Rhoquinn group says 'Nok no wandering!'
You group say 'Is there any aggro's here?'
You flee westward!
You group say 'ummm guys?'
Rhoquinn group says 'Dammit Nok'
Welcome to toril
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:04 pm

good build nokar, quality products.

make SURE you download the dual core hotfix for windows xp, your cpu will slow down if you do not. Also, the 4400 is HEAVILY overclockable, you might want to explore overclocking options.

Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:28 pm

Ruxur,

which site is it on? amd's or microsofts'?

You flee westward!

Welcome to toril
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:10 pm

Nokar wrote:Ruxur,

which site is it on? amd's or microsofts'?

Microsoft

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:28 pm

ill link you to it when i get home, its kinda tough to find. heh i might just have to upload it to my web space and link you to that.

i got it from www.amdzone.com

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:12 am

I was at CES, and I'll tell you there are a LOT nicer looking systems than that with better configurations and for less money.
Pobbil
Sojourner

Postby Pobbil » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:00 am

Kallinar wrote:The dirt and rust on my truck give it +10 Cha. Hah!

What about the "Fat people are harder to kidnap" sticker? hmmm?
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Pobbil wrote:
Kallinar wrote:The dirt and rust on my truck give it +10 Cha. Hah!

What about the "Fat people are harder to kidnap" sticker? hmmm?

Aww heck that sticker is just to fill up the badge slot. Only like a +2 cha bonus.

But I do need some new +50 dex tires and i also need to add some some +20 agi gear to my brakes.
Kallinar goes MOO

Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:05 pm

Two Words

THATS HOT!
Azuth OOC: 'and a pic of Slavan's clutch: priceless'
Malar OOC: '<worn on head> Slavan's black lacy thong, with a huge racing stripe in it'
Hali
Sojourner

Postby Hali » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 pm

Slavan wrote:Two Words

THATS HOT!

Ahem.

That's HAWT! - Paris Hilton

BTW- I think cases are overrated.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:04 pm

ok this thread started with dell and is currently at paris hilton

i nominate this thread for,

WORST THREAD EVAR!!!!ONE!!11!

Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:06 pm

SECONDED!! Paris Hilton SUX!

Angelina Jolie all the way!

You flee westward!

Welcome to toril
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:14 pm

Nokar wrote:SECONDED!! Paris Hilton SUX!

And not that well from the movie I saw :)

Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:21 pm

Pam > Paris
Kallinar goes MOO

Hali
Sojourner

Postby Hali » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:25 pm

Stacey Keeeeeeeeibler > all

Long them legs...they go 'round and 'round and 'round and 'roud
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:31 pm

quad sli is 2 video cards with dual core chips

Return to “General Discussion Archive”