Shevarash
FORGER CODER

You're All Going To Jail

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:52 pm

Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:52 pm

"Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity."

Most of us do not hide our true identity. I know I sure don't since half the MUD knows my RL name for some reason.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:10 pm

Rofl.. so much for specificity in criminal statutes. :)

Any of you annoying people want to be a test case so that I can start building my con law rep? :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:19 pm

Sure Corth,

We'll have Dalar report me, then you can represent me. You'll get a shot to argue in front of the Supreme Court if I get convicted. Oh, and you will be doing it pro-bono :p
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:20 pm

Dude.. its not appropriate to use that word in polite company. *shiver*
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:42 pm

I thought the internet was outside of this country or any country's jurisdiction. Is it even possible for anybody to truely be prosecuted for this? I also think it would be tough to actually convict if you could. I mean, since annoying is entirely subjective and not even a purely culturally agreed upon thing, how could you ever prove intent except in the most extreme cases?

Either way, the law never stopped me from smoking crack and killing prostitutes -- it sure as hell isn't going to stop me from making shev's life a living hell.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:47 pm

Actually, from my very limited research it looks like its much ado about nothing. Apparently this new law is meant simply to extend existing legislation concerning telephone harrasment to telephone calls that occur over the internet via VOIP services.

But, regardless... I could imagine several constitutional arguments against criminal application of the law had it been as broad as we initially thought. Criminal statutes can be struck down, for instance, for being "unconstitutionally vague." Obviously, a criminal statute should not be allowed to be so broad that it fails to give clear notice of what type of conduct is criminalized. Additionally, I would imagine that there would be some first ammendment concerns about criminalizing "annoying" speach.

I still say we should have Gormal locked up though. :)

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:49 pm

Wait...so If I get a call from a disgruntled customer and they start calling me names and being a total ass, causing me to become altered from my normal happy state of being, I can in turn sue them for such conduct?
Kallinar goes MOO
Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:09 pm

no were not talking civil court here. you can have thier ass thrown in jail, even better, but no cash.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:11 pm

Hrmm...disgruntled Kenny Chesney fans all need to be tortured. *glee* Jail is too good for em.
Kallinar goes MOO

Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:52 pm

You lock it up Gene! Lock it up!

Return to “General Discussion Archive”