Immigration Reform

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Immigration Reform

Postby Abbayarra » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:02 pm

I am all in favor of immigration reform.
Right now the costs to our society of illegal immigration far outweighs the benefits. I know many people who have come legally into our country and they are useful contributing members. Illegal immigration creates far greater costs to us than benefits in terms of lower food costs.
Higher health care, tremendous strain on education, and much higher crime rates to name a few. I'm an independent in voting nature but illegal immigration is incredibly harmful to American society. Those who are telling you different are getting rich off the back of illegals and us.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:48 am

Well, that was a randomly placed soapbox.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:42 am

Political rants went out back in '05. Get with the times!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:44 pm

hey bitch wru
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:05 pm

Been extremely busy with school type stuff. I like to do the slack off for two weeks, work my ass off for one week type thing with school.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:08 am

immigrant labor (and im talking about hispanics since thats the majority) isn't universally cheap. its cheap for the employers, expensive for the public at large because these people typically exist outside of the system and therefore don't "pay their fair share" and are poor which typically means needs more "social services". Healthcare being the obvious one (know any farm labor with health insurance? how about dishwashers?).

its an interesting position to be in. kick illegals out of the country because they didn't do it the right way (and make those lazy white boys do an honest days labor) or make them legal so they can participate (cost and benefit rather than just benefit) from the system.

personally, id say kick anyone out who doesn't bother to learn english. this bilingual bullshit is going to cost the public a lot (need for bilingual workers and double production of documents) and going to give hispanic people in the future an unfair competitve advantage over american people (who dont bother to learn a second language or study something dumb like french). This means for now they will do the menial labor, but in the future, you won't be able to get a jobs in the service sector if your not bilingual (service sector predicted to house majority of jobs in the future).
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:50 am

Given the failure of much of the industrialized world to procreate at mere replacement level, it would not surprise me to see competition between countries FOR immigrants in the coming years. That being said, if we are going to bother to have immigration restrictions, I can't quite figure out why rather than enforcing them, we provide expensive services to people who are breaking our law by being here.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”