Eve-online

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Colje
Sojourner

Eve-online

Postby Colje » Tue May 02, 2006 1:55 pm

Yo :)

I know its blashemy by mentioning other games here hehe :shock: :shock: ...but I am rather curious on if there's anyone playing this game?

And yes, I live in eve-o nowadays...

www.eve-online.com

PS. Ohh ..hello to ppl who know me ;) *wink*

/Colje
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 02, 2006 3:08 pm

I always kind of wanted to, but Eve Online is the kind of game you can only really succeed in if you devote your entire existance to playing it. I can't see how playing Eve casually would be any fun.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Eve

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue May 02, 2006 3:32 pm

Actually, Eve is the perfect game for the casual gamer. You can practice skills while offline, getting money/mining can be done at your leisure, etc. SUPER well made and fun game.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 02, 2006 5:44 pm

FISH!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: Eve

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 02, 2006 5:48 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:Actually, Eve is the perfect game for the casual gamer. You can practice skills while offline, getting money/mining can be done at your leisure, etc. SUPER well made and fun game.

Except for the whole "being blown up while you sleep" thing... or no?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Kinda

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue May 02, 2006 7:25 pm

You can always 'rent' your ship at a base if you need to sleep. But if you're mining something AFK, just like here, something can come and kill you, depending on where you are at.
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Wed May 03, 2006 8:29 am

Well, while docked...noone can touch you...concord (aka police) are guarding you :)

And yes, you can loose everything you've worked so hard for if you venture into the wrong places or join an alliance which are warmongers hehe... Eve's based on player control enviroment, both the conflicts and economy.

Example: I am in a corporation which is part of an alliance which again is in an alliance war (FUN) ...todays op is getting out all our capital ships and protecting them while killing playing owned starbases ..Carriers, Dreadnoughts and babies like theese... If its gonna be like last weekend, we're gonna have a major fleet operation..100-200 man vs 100-200 man fleet battle, while the fleet commanders are ordering ppl on teamspeak.

Just imagine a 100 man group in toril ...controlling it....*shiver*

Anyways..I just wonderd if anyone was playing it ;)
Trailer: http://myeve.eve-online.com/download/videos/Default.asp?a=download&vid=143
*POKE KIFLE* its MR.Fish for you...
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 03, 2006 5:40 pm

Well, Mr. Fish, I had thought of playing this game when it was brought up ad the [H] forums about 6 months back, but I just forgot about it because of school. I may check it out after Thursday (last final/term paper!). Isn't it a free game + monthly fee or something?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed May 03, 2006 5:55 pm

what a waste of my time. i thought i was going to meet some online chick. thanks for nothing
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Thu May 04, 2006 8:32 am

Kifle wrote:Well, Mr. Fish, I had thought of playing this game when it was brought up ad the [H] forums about 6 months back, but I just forgot about it because of school. I may check it out after Thursday (last final/term paper!). Isn't it a free game + monthly fee or something?

Its a monthly fee, but you can dl the game for free...no need to buy it.

But there's a 14 days testperiod ..free of charge if you want to test ;)
But I need to send you an invitation ;)

/Coljesan
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 04, 2006 1:35 pm

I dunno, I liked the concept, but the things I've read about it seem to indicate that the game is just a major timesink. Like... having to travel for five hours to get from place to play in the galaxy. Fact or exaggeration?

Also, if you haven't read <a href="http://static.circa1984.com/the-big-scam.html">The Great Scam</a>, you're missing out. This is the story that brought Eve Online into the public eye in a lot of ways ;)
- Ragorn
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Thu May 04, 2006 8:15 pm

I've been playing for the last couple months. I had kinda gotten sick of WoW.

It's definitely an exaggeration that it takes 5 hours to get anywhere. It might take that long to get from one side of the galaxy to the other, assuming you avoid gate camps or are in an interceptor or something.

But, it is fair to say that most of the actions that you take in the game have a slight delay before they go through, or else doing one thing will sometimes require you to wait 30 seconds before doing that same thing again (piloting different ships, for instance).

The major difference between EvE and most other MMORPGs (or MUDs) is that, while there are some frameworks you can follow, you pretty much get to decide how you want to play the game. You can fight, mine, trade, or produce. You don't have any assigned classes, you can chose any skills you want to train, as long as you have the prerequisite skills for them. If you play long enough you could theoretically have every skill in the game, although that would probably take a couple decades.

If anyone cares to look me up in game, the character I'm usually on as is Caldar Rion.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”