Holy awesome, this mud is alive..

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Masrick
Sojourner

Holy awesome, this mud is alive..

Postby Masrick » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:50 pm

I was plesantly surprised to see torilmud is alive and kicking. I played from a stretch of about 1995-2001ish+, and boy those were some fun times. I was thinking of comming back but wanted to find out some general info. I know I could just roll up a char and start out again, but no point if certain things are still the same. In the past, I've played Monk, Invoker, and a necromancer. Overall I like damage dealing classes but I also have a thing for support classes. Now, onto tangible questions.

1. Are invokers still a core part of classes required for raiding at 50?
2. What is the state of enchanters? I want opinions here, really its all about perception, but it helps give me insight on how people feel about the class. How's their dmg for leveling purposes(Is it still a nightmare)? Are they still useful in raiding?
3. How are necromancers? Useful?
4. Clerics?!?!? Worth it? Not worth it?
5. Back in the day, prime time there were 100+ people online, how is it today?
6. Overall, is the newbie experience better or worse?
7. Until, I started playing MMoRPG, I wasn't a big fan of guilds, but now, I can't imagine not being a part of one. Are there any opportunities/support for these in Toril?

I'm hoping to change things up for myself and play a more support based class just to make things more difficult for me. I might go with an Enchanter of a Cleric.

Man, I've been reading for boards for a couple of hours now. It sick, I recognized entirely too many names, I can't believe so many people are still around. I read the brief history and it mentioned a rebirth in 2003 as TorilMud, did that include a player wipe as well? I finally quit WoW a month ago, a year of redundant end game raiding and empty friendships is my limit. Having every possible tier 2 item and acessories for my mage was a drag, nothing to look forward to but the expansion which was pretty much the same thing with no spark of real genius in the content AI. I've never been able to find a game that has had as much substance as this.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:57 pm

1. Invokers do a heck of a lot of damage and make zones a LOT quicker--so yes, they're rather core :)

2. Enchanters rock, though it's still a grind for them to exp. They're an essential for zoning.

3. Necromancers are great fun, and with their new transport capabilities, are very helpful, though they don't do near as much damage as their Lich "remort".

4. Clerics are essential for zoning, can't comment on how fun they are to play.

5. You won't find 100+ people on at any given time anymore.

6. Newbie experience is easier with the new newbie zoning area Scardale. Lots of friendly people to help them out, as well, though some would argue that people just want to level alts as quickly as possible and have no time to help out true newbies when asked.

7. Guilds are alive and well in Toril.
Masrick
Sojourner

Postby Masrick » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:09 pm

So, I decided to log on, and blam, some of my accounts I remember are still active(Ubek - 45 drow necromancer) but has no gear .. lol. Damn, now I need to try to remember all my character names.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:27 pm

*chuckle* Welcome back!!

The evil races in the past few months have REALLY made a comeback, and pretty much try to zone or XP every day. Good races tend to do our own thing, but to be honest almost everyone has one of each these days.

I've been playing my human necro ALOT lately and the lower level grind is killing me. Thank goodness for the odd friend or two (some odder than others [THANK YOU]) or I'd have given up long ago.

Enchanters are brutal to XP and really I'd only recommend them if you are someone who lives on stress. *laugh* Mine is 48th, fully quested and anon cus frankly I do okay soloing, but stink at groups. In most zone groups there's only one chanter to keep everyone spelled up, and while timestop helps, XP is brutal cus you spend most of the fights outside memming.

Bard... oh man, still love my bard, even though I am horribly rusty on soloing her. Bchanters are the evil version, though their magic is cleric based instead of mage.

Invoker.. *bounce* I LOVE my invoker. The rush of blowing sh*t up!!!! WOOT! I don't care what people say about the simplicity of the class.. its quite the rush to hit inferno and see 10 mobs die. Brutal to level until level 41-42, then you can do smoke xp. Vokers are the disposable mage class. Be prepared to die ALOT when playing one, which is why Eya is only 47th/48th. Her playtime is huge however, I just hate XPing her. (Sounds like you know MMORPGS so think Wizard on EQ2 w/o a way to remove the hate. Tanks who rescue lots and clerics who see you going down are your best friends!!)

Elem.. mine's 22nd. *sigh* Great for soloing, but I think I'm burned out on it (soloing). Once you're in higher levels, you can do all kinds of fun stuff by yourself.

Druids.. FUN!!! Offense, defense and healing all in one caster class. Not to mention moonwell which everyone will love you for if you get up there. I do have problems getting groups for XP at times.

Rogues. Terrific for exploring once you get some levels and hide/sneak maxed. EASY peasy to dress up and level, damage XP is SICK. Common phrase when you see 10 rogue corpses (most of the time Pava, Teba or Smirn...) it's just rogue XP, no worries!

That's just my take, and I'm more than certain there are others out there who can summarize better, (considering only one of my chars has actually made it to 50th, though the ench and voker are close).
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:56 am

welcome back. bring your wow friends
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:43 am

Regardless of how good WoW and the like are, Toril still retains plenty of its appeal and is worth playing.

1. Invokers are essential of course, especially for the majority of zones with multiple non-demon/dragon mob fights (jot gatehouse style). There are many new zones with these types of fights throughout them.

2. Enchanters still posses immense power due to their buff spells. Blur/dragonscales completely change how a tank or even non-tank performs when taking damage. With the afore-mentioned multi-zone fights its important that everyone can at least eat a few hits as the mobs switch a lot so they are very nessecary.

3. Necromancers have gained a LOT of usefulness with their new spells, though I don't have one so I won't comment on specifically how good they are. They are more useful in certain zones though where you want to soul walk people back to the group without ressing and can't well/gate them back fast enough. They do lack the area damage that liches can do which makes them a more used class in large zone groups usually.

4. Clerics have become more of a vit machine than they used to be due to the upgrades to bards and the use of multiple shamans. Especially when we fight dragons, there's so much ghealing going on that you only have to heal people who take the target damage procs that dragons now put out. If there are two clerics in a group with adaquate ghealing, you won't do a whole lot other than vit, but without it its a lot more fun and more work. Disruption burst is an awesome new spell that does semi-area damage to undead (5 mobs) and it does great damage. The quest is long and annoying though so have fun with that.

5. Our pbase is dwindling down to the point where if there are 2 groups zoning its impressive. Usually we can do 1-3 standard zones a night say maybe 5 nights a week, or one big zone. Epic zones like the plane of magma, bronze citadel, and especially Tiamat, require planning in advance.

6. I think that the newbie experience is better now except that we lack the pbase to really help support them. Especially that there are fewer people to show them around the MUD. Newbies are left to discover a lot for themselves during the lower levels more than they were before.

7. There are plenty of guilding opportunities but its not at all like it used to be. There isn't much rivalry and there aren't many truly active guilds. Only the 2 big goodie guilds can do guild-only zones and then not often. Again, due to the pbase (so by coming back you are definitely helping the game!)

Playing a support class like cleric, illusionist, or especially enchanter/shaman, you'll find more group opportunities at higher levels. Its easier to level up for sure than it used to be, though it can be hard to find groups sometimes. I reccomend you learn the experience zones and take the initiative to lead them to ensure you get grouped up.

Glad to see you back!

-Kildran/Gormal
Masrick
Sojourner

Postby Masrick » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:51 am

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. You input is much appreciated. For now I think I will work on Masrick till I can atleast learn a thing or 300000000 about the mud again.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:07 am

I should also add that the game now has a new roleplaying/quest sphere of gods who's primary function is running RP events. If that's up your alley then definitely check it out, they make it quite a lot of fun once you get into it.
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:10 pm

If you haven't found it already.. as a drow necro it might be worth checking out the Comarian Mines for some fun.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:58 pm

You obviously haven't played WoW!
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:20 pm

I think admins can find your chars if you have 1 name. they saved IP when you created char and can match them or something.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:02 pm

They can look it up by password, too.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:27 pm

wow malacar is still around

Return to “General Discussion Archive”