WEWTZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
amolol
Sojourner

WEWTZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby amolol » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:21 pm

i graduated from cullinary school today. im so excited. i dont hafto do it again tomorrow. in the next few weeks i will be moving into my new house in eugene OR yes it is being bought not rented (also exciting)
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:03 pm

Serving bowls of grats, with umm.. creme brule or something on top... *laugh* I'm not a chef, that's your job.

Great news!
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:03 am

get yer ass to DC to cook for me :p
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:24 am

congratz Amolol!
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:24 am

Pril wrote:get yer ass to DC to cook for me :p

hold the phone ..

pril in dc, 2.5 hrs away from us??

wowsers
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
xisskas
Sojourner

Postby xisskas » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:01 am

Hrm... Pril is in DC? Damn. I just moved to DC.

Congrats to Amolol
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:23 am

Oh yeah Jen didn't Mike tell ya? I'll prolly be down yer way around sometime in september cuz my uncle in VA beach keeps inviting me down we'll have to hang out.

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:31 am

call us!!!

-Italian Proverb
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:20 am

Woot!

So now should we #sub Amolol MisterGrits?

;)
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:22 am

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:54 am

Grats Amolol! I'm sure there are a lot of us who would let you cook for us any time.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:18 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Grats Amolol! I'm sure there are a lot of us who would let you cook for us any time.

Get in line Ashiwi, damn pushy elves.

amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:14 pm

well you know, im taking the month of sept off so if your on the west coast drop me a PM and ill see if i can swing through in my visits to washington and cali. i am gonna try to get to the yakima valley and then down to san fran and LA to visit family and friends. but a few stops along the way wont hurt.

myspace.com/tgchef
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:10 pm

grats ho!

*whap* consider that a congratulatory whap
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:02 pm

I'm down off the coast of Jolo Island in the Philippines and could use a good meal after the slop we've been eating. Feel free to swing by and whip me up something (something with steak please). Thanks!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:02 pm

aammmmm they still have *everything sauce* Jake?

-Italian Proverb
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:09 pm

Gormal wrote:I'm down off the coast of Jolo Island in the Philippines and could use a good meal after the slop we've been eating. Feel free to swing by and whip me up something (something with steak please). Thanks!

i have some meatstick for you
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:14 am

Let me enlighten you guys on the joys of Naval cooking a bit... Jen can help me out with her experience that I'm sure is worse than what I've had so far.

When we pull out, things aren't all that bad to start. You've got fresh fruit, milk, and all the condiments are still stocked. The longer you're out, the more things begin to degrade obviously. The first thing to go is milk. After around 2 weeks you jump into what we affectionately refer to as 'nuclear milk' which is this heat-treated crap that can sit on a warm shelf for months and still be "good", and by "good" I mean that aside from going straight for your gag reflex, it won't hurt you.

The condiment problem is easier to fix yourself, because smart people bring a stockpile of hot sauces on board to try and mask the lack of flavor that seems to afflict everything they serve. All hail Tapito and Siracha! Ketchup is the first things to go, and we're already down to only Tabasco for hot sauce they provide.

As for the main courses and side dishes, things slowly slide downhill as the stores start to age or things run out. We're on this new Navy-wide 30-some day menu rotation where they tell our guys what to serve and they do their best to accomodate it. Let me introduce you to a few of our favorite dishes...

Perfection Salad: Lime jello + celery + red cabbage = perfection. I think its time we taught the cooks a little bit more about math.

Roast Beef Wraps: 1 tortilla + 1 thin slice of cold roast beef + 1 piece wilted lettuce + 1 thimble "salsa" > roll > place in heated serving line > enjoy. This is something that your stupid babysitter would whip up to feed a 3 year old, its amazing.

Fajitas: This is what I look forward to every 2 weeks. Its easily the best that we get, where we get to custom build our own fajitas, and they've even started heating them on the grill before giving em to us so they don't crumble like hundred-year old bones. Ironically, I slept through lunch today and this is what they served... damn it.

Sliders: All Navy cooks have the ability to magically make the cheeseburgers black on the outside, and frozen in the middle... and no real seperation in between. The concept of thawing has really caught on here I think. At least they turned our deep fryer back on and we get real fries now, though when we get back they're bringing us in line with the rest of the Navy which is required to remove them from the ship to promote healthy eating (never mind the huge racks of crappy deserts you can go to town on all you want).

Rubberfish: Anything fishy thats not deep fried, has the consistency and flavor of a racquetball. I avoid seafood at all costs on board.

Steak and Lobster Night: This is supposed to be the good meal, we get this once a month for the birthday people and any leftovers go to the crew. The steak is hit or miss, but usually its too far on either side of the "properly cooked" spectrum. Charred or Mooing/Frozen... how do you want it? At least we get plenty of Worsterschire sauce to drown it in.

Thank god for stockpiling chilli, tuna, soup, ramen, easy mac, etc on board to survive on when the meals just aren't edible. I know that Jen has 10 times the horror stories that I do, as our galley is apparently decent compared to others in the fleet. Carriers have things we don't too since we've only got a few hundred people on board.

</derail>
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:41 am

Get off yer ass and toss a few troll lines over the back, snag some sailfish/kingies/jewies - steaks on the grill!
BEER
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:35 am

Later on in cruise, food poisoning hsall abound as will the crawlie bugs in the salad.

Thankdully if you get to port or close to it, another ship will bring fresh(er) veggies for salkads and such.

Steak and lobster night. Ew. I SWEAR they boil the *steak* and the *lobster* is always rubbery. Basically you can always tell whats for lunch the next day depending what they serve for dinner today. Dinner today is tomorrows lunch in some shape or manner. Unsuccessful meatloaf today becomes tomorrows beefaroni or cubed steak surprise.

Onboard carrier, life was a tad better I think? We were able to have chicken(?) nuggets and baked fries a lot, as well as weekly ice cream night. There was also a 22 hr per day nacho bar with minor foods, salads and potatoes.

Jake if you need ANYTHING, please holler and give me your snailmail addy and I will send you whatever ya need for life to be easier. Course rememebr it shall take WEEKS to get to you :( Care packages ROCK when you are away from home! And I SWEAR I will nto let Arilin throw in any blowup animal .. at all .. that he may want to go buy .. rofl

Love hugs n kisses,

Ambar Squish Squid .. lvl 23 Ogre shaman :P

-Italian Proverb
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:12 pm

ye know fresh baked cookies vaccum seal very very well. i sent my brother about 12dozen cookies fudge bars and rice crispy treats. a few packages of jerkey and some poptarts. all of it traveled very very well. if i bake anything in the near future ill save it for you and get yer addy.

myspace.com/tgchef
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:38 pm

Ugh Gormy.. address and I'll see what I can do. Even if its just more condiments and stuff to resupply your stockpiles. *laugh* You could seriously be in some money with all this extra edible stuff being tossed your way. *wink*

Will the cooks let you in the galley to make anything when you aren't on duty and they aren't crazy busy?

Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:03 pm

Yes cookie vacuum pack well, but have you EVER seen Naval postage? We used to SLEEP on the mail when we flew with cargo .. rofl .. if it isnt soft enough for a pillow, just drop kick the box a time or two :P

Next? :P

-Italian Proverb
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:19 pm

Ambar wrote:Yes cookie vacuum pack well, but have you EVER seen Naval postage? We used to SLEEP on the mail when we flew with cargo .. rofl .. if it isnt soft enough for a pillow, just drop kick the box a time or two :P

Next? :P

Sees a use for the small munitions boxes sold at the Army Surplus store.... *halo*

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:57 am

I'll welcome any care packages, even smooshed cookies! If you want my mail address, shoot me an email: thompsjd (at) halsey.navy.mil
muma
Sojourner

:D

Postby muma » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:56 pm

Congrats AmoLOL!!
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:00 pm

Hey Am!

Here's brain puzzle for you.

I'm allergic to lemons. Can't do limes either.

Gimme a recipe for FISH that doesn't involve those and one that doesn't take a genius to cook! (Preferrably grilled, not fried.)

*wink*

Thanx

Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:01 pm

Also for anyone that will be sending care packs to our little semen er seaman. I'd recommend using the US Postal Service flat-rate boxes. You can load them with as heavy of stuff as you want and it doesn't cost you any more. However, if you're just going to send ramen noodles, it ain't worth it.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Lilira wrote:Hey Am!

Here's brain puzzle for you.

I'm allergic to lemons. Can't do limes either.

Gimme a recipe for FISH that doesn't involve those and one that doesn't take a genius to cook! (Preferrably grilled, not fried.)

*wink*

Thanx

Make a quick garlic butter (soft butter, crushed fresh garlic folded together). Put fish on a piece of parchment paper(not wax), toss a slice of shallot or red onion on top of the fish and a dollop of garlic butter. Fold teh parchment paper over and then crimp the edges by hand so that you effectively seal the fish in its own juices. Bake this for 12 minutes or so depending on the size of the fish fillet you used and it will steam itself as it bakes. No citrus and so delicious.
Vaprak, the Destroyer

ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:27 am

Gormal wrote:I'll welcome any care packages, even smooshed cookies! If you want my mail address, shoot me an email: thompsjd (at) halsey.navy.mil

omg vegemite coming up mightily!
BEER
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:06 pm

good idea vaprak, that technique is called en papillote. use a little bit of white wine to help steam it. also in my recipe thread you can find a hollandaise recipe substitte white wine or vinegar for the lemon and it will come out just fine. put the hollandaise over some steamed fish or vegies or eggs or......

most any citrus can be substituted with a vinegar or wine. and who doesnt like an excuse to get more alcohol in :P

myspace.com/tgchef
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:41 pm

amolol wrote:good idea vaprak, that technique is called en papillote. use a little bit of white wine to help steam it. also in my recipe thread you can find a hollandaise recipe substitte white wine or vinegar for the lemon and it will come out just fine. put the hollandaise over some steamed fish or vegies or eggs or......

most any citrus can be substituted with a vinegar or wine. and who doesnt like an excuse to get more alcohol in :P

Aha! I don't know the fancy names for stuff but I've figured out what does taste good from a combonation of a) experimentation and b) watching the food network late at night while trying to go to sleep. heheh

I'm taking the long route to being a good cook Step 1: Insomnia Step3: Profit!
Vaprak, the Destroyer

Return to “General Discussion Archive”