Some people really suck, 2

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Some people really suck, 2

Postby Thilindel » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:53 am

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/ ... arged.html

I'm so glad I didn't pursue law. These filth aren't even being brought up on murder.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:45 am

I really must find out who their defense attourney is. Just in case I every have any legal trouble, I want someone that good defending me. But if it makes you feel any better, I am sure that being convicted for "gross abuse of a corpse" will make life in prison interesting for him.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:12 am

The headline is biased. I don't see any indication in the actual news story that the foster parents had any intention of killing the kid. In fact, the article indicates that the parents had previously tied up the kid in the same manner without, apparently, seriously harming him. What likely happened is that the foster parents pulled a big time stupid. They wanted to leave town, didn't want to spring for a baby sitter or drag the disabled kid around with them, so they tied him up. Negligent homicide (or equivalent charge) would be appropriate under these circumstances.

Keep in mind also that this is the prosecutor asking for an indictment. The prosecutor's office knows that it cannot get a murder conviction. If they could, trust me they would try for a murder indictment.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:40 am

However, the malice and forethought to have committed the actions that lead to the death could be thought of as murder.

Lest thinking purely about pointing the gun at a person's face and purely about pulling the trigger at said moment somehow doesn't constitute murder.

"Hey, all I wanted to do was point the gun at his face and pull the trigger. I didn't intend to kill him."

"Well, I've shot plenty of guns in this guy's face before. A water pistol... a pellet gun... a .22 and he didn't die. According to Hollywood, all guns have the same type of powers so how could I have been expected to know what happened when I pulled out the M1?"

MMmmmmuh mmmuh mmmuh muuurrdddeeerrrr
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:01 pm

it's ambiguous how they 'wrapped' this little guy in a blanket too. Doesn't seem clear if his head was snuffed out or what happened. The thing that really gets me is that you cannot leave a child alone because they hurt themselves or may need some type of medical treatment because they cannot fend for themselves. It should be inherent that when you leave/abandon a child for such a duration, something out of the ordinary could happen. Hell, kids choke on the silliest stuff. Hotdogs, peanuts, etc. Stuff adults don't normally do. Amazing these ppl are getting off so easily.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:22 am

I think maybe thats the point of tying the kid up.. so he doesn't get himself in trouble. He just lies around stationary until he dies.. or you come home.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
muma
Sojourner

god this makes me angry

Postby muma » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:43 pm

you know what, what happened to this kid, and the law, are both really f84ked up. it makes me mad and disgusted.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:53 pm

dang my friday was going so well too. some people really suck.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Ubek
Sojourner

Postby Ubek » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:58 pm

At what age is it considered appropriate to leave a child at home alone? Is that age the same as the laws in the US?
Race: Drow
Class: Necromancer
"Work Hard, Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU!"
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:03 pm

i don't think we have laws on that, maybe a vague one. i think its more of when they can be self sufficient and not a danger to themselves.. like around 14 or 15. it seems to be going up as the years go by
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'

--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:32 pm

let alone they refer to the toddler as 'disabled'

Sickening that people who qualified as foster parents could be so goddamned stupid.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:16 pm

apparently anybody can qualify for foster care... havent you seen the news lately? :P

Return to “General Discussion Archive”