Banned Books

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Gormal
Sojourner

Banned Books

Postby Gormal » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:16 pm

Somehow tonight, I ended up reading about controversial books and took a quick foray into Wikipedia to see what books were on typical 'banned' lists. I was pretty surprised at how many controversial books I read in elementary and high school. Apparently my parents and the school were all about free speech. I thought that the list was kind of interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_books

A few books from my schoolhouse reading lists that appear on the list:

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain was banned after publication in 1885 by the Concord Public Library on grounds of it being "more suited to the slums than to intelligent, respectable people." More recently its portrayal of race (including the use of the word nigger as part of a character's name) has seen many efforts to remove it from school reading lists in the USA.[3] ALA_2000

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain was banned from the children's section of the Brooklyn, New York public library in 1876, the Denver, Colorado public library in the same year, and was banned by some libraries in the USA over objections to the "questionable character" of the main character and racism.[4] It was banned by the Brazilian Government in 1937 as part of a crackdown on communist and subversive works.[5] ALA_2000

Animal Farm by George Orwell was banned in the USSR for anti-communist themes, in some Islamic nations for "religious reasons". It was also banned in the USA for communist material in its introduction, although the book itself was a vicious satire on Stalinism. [16]

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank has been banned or challenged for various reasons including being "a real downer." [17]

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley was banned in Ireland in 1932 for "centering around negative activity". It's also banned for language. Some saw this book as anti-family and anti-Christian. ALA_2000

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson ALA_2000

Candide by Voltaire 1930, U.S. Customs seized Harvard-bound copies of Candide.

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (Banned for risque subject matter.)

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (Banned for profanity, sexual references, and that it "undermines morality." Also called blasphemous by some because of repeated use of the word "goddam".) ALA_2000

Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel was banned from the Cascade Middle School library at Eugene, Oregon in 1992 for "hardcore graphic sexual content". (I was never assigned to read this, but growing up in Oregon, I remember our teachers talking to us about it)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Copies used in school literature classes were edited to omit the words "hell," "damn," and "abortion," which is ironic because the central theme is censorship.)

King Lear by William Shakespeare

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (Parents believed a scene in the book encouraged children to break dishes in order to avoid washing them) ALA_2000

Lord of the Flies by William Golding ALA_2000 (child murder)

Macbeth by William Shakespeare (graphic violence and witchcraft)

... I think you get the idea.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:27 am

Ugh... there's one scene in "Lord of the Flies" that still haunts me to this day.

"Animal Farm" was just downright frightening.

Every kid in school should have to read Anne Frank, as well as "Tom Sawyer."
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:23 pm

Heh..

I read several of those in High School...

Lord of the Flies

Canterbury Tales (Holy crap we spent a 9 week grading period on those things)

Animal Farm (Excerpts were actually in our Literature books)

Anne Frank (Excerpts again)

I guess by placing excerpts in the books they can control how much of what students read, and still touch on the historically important literature. I plan on encouraging my kids to read the books in their entirety if at all possible. I'll wait on a few like Lord of the Flies...

The ironic thing.. my high school library had most of Stephen King's books.. and there's still a scene in Misery that makes my stomach flop when I think about it.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:43 pm

The lawnmower scene, Heather?

::shudder::

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:54 pm

The hobbling always got to me. Here, allow me to place a 2x4 between your ankles. . .now I am going to swing a sledgehammer full force against your feet!

Ouch.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:00 am

Vigis wrote:The hobbling always got to me. Here, allow me to place a 2x4 between your ankles. . .now I am going to swing a sledgehammer full force against your feet!

Ouch.

That would be the one Vigs... *shudder* Oh and the removing a foot finally...
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:58 pm

You have to admit, Steven King does have a real knack for writing some amazingly freakish personalities.

I think a lot of us were lucky enough to read some of the books from the "banned" list while we were still in school. Thank heavens the combined people who wrote that banned list aren't making up the Board of Regents for our public schools.

I'm still surprised the "Chronicles of Narnia" aren't on that list. And as Heather pointed out to me, where's the long list of bodice rippers that should be listed for their sexual themes? Or do they only pick on books that can actually be perceived as "literature?" Or maybe they only become aware of books when they achieve a certain level of popularity in whatever era they come to notice. Lord knows you wouldn't want a well-read group of people determining which books should be banned.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:16 pm

I wish they'd put Atlas Shrugged and The Great Gatsby on the banned list so no one would have to suffer through that crap ever again.
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:40 pm

Vigis wrote:The hobbling always got to me. Here, allow me to place a 2x4 between your ankles. . .now I am going to swing a sledgehammer full force against your feet!

Ouch.

That's not what happens in the book. The book is much worse.
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:41 pm

I remember reading alot of those in school. We also read the Oedipus Trilogy, kind of schocking that that wasn't on the banned list. :)
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Shevarash wrote:I remember reading alot of those in school. We also read the Oedipus Trilogy, kind of schocking that that wasn't on the banned list. :)

Well back when you were in school, the printing press was just being invented, so I'm not real surprised.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:35 pm

Shevarash = Gutenberg?
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:38 am

It is just as interesting to see what is banned today, where you live. Than what is banned in Yemen or 100 years ago I think

eg. racist material or blasphemy.

beeing from Denmark we had a big debate about this a year ago
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:11 am

Did they ban a pastry book for blasphemous use of the word "Danish"?
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:47 pm

nobody should have to suffer through anne franks diary... its not lke its a literary masterpiece and if you want kids to learn about the horrors of war they might as well read starship troopers/the forever war which are not total crap
and if you want them to learn about the concentration camps and the alleged 'gas chambers' you give them hitlers furnace to read... period
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:25 am

I now understand why Jake started this thread... there is an advertisement for a men's nipple book at the bottom.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:37 am

One of my highschools actually had a class where we read banned books to find the passages we thought they might have been banned over, and then debated over whether those passages warranted banning or not. 99% of the time, we could see how certain people might be insulted or whatever, but I dont think we ever did get much serious arguments for actual censorship. What a rediculous and hideously 'anti-american' idea, tho to be honest, the good 'ole USA is almost certaintly in the top ten list for countries with the most local censorship.

Heh oh and it would be the irony of ironies if Narnia where banned (assuming because of 'witchcraft/magic themes') as C.S. Lewis was a devout christian who wrote extensively on the subject, and Narnia itself is a direct parody of christian values and belief systems. (Spoiler, Aslan is GOD!!!)
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:22 pm

daggaz wrote:Heh oh and it would be the irony of ironies if Narnia where banned (assuming because of 'witchcraft/magic themes') as C.S. Lewis was a devout christian who wrote extensively on the subject, and Narnia itself is a direct parody of christian values and belief systems. (Spoiler, Aslan is GOD!!!)

Well, the books arent a parody of Christian values. They incorporate Christian values into the storyline, in literary figurative parallel, not parody. He wasn't out to 'parodize' Christianity.

The reason the Christian groups have tried to censure it is due to the pagan elements. But, oh well, can't please everyone.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:43 pm

Hmm yeah my bad, didn't mean to say parody, its obviously not Monty Python's 'The Life of Brian' (which was originally rated X -yep, you heard me, X, and banned completely in England for many, many years).

Well, just goes to show what 8 years of predominantly speaking a foreign language will do to your vocabulary... everything is just kinda fuzzy these days.

But yeah, its funny that people can be so rabidly antithetic as to leap on a story that uses fantasy and imagination to teach children openness, tolerance, courage, honor, integrity, and above all, love for the Creator.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”