what it would take to make me an arizona cards fan

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Ruxur
Sojourner

what it would take to make me an arizona cards fan

Postby Ruxur » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:56 pm

azcentral.com wrote:First, they shook up the Scottsdale establishment. Now the family behind the Pink Taco restaurant chain is rattling the Arizona Cardinals' cage.

Would you believe Pink Taco Stadium? That's what the Morton family, famous for creating the Hard Rock Café and Morton's Steakhouse, is saying they want to name Cardinals Stadium.

They are offering $30 million for 10 years as evidence of their commitment and are promising to pursue an agreement with the Arizona Cardinals.
advertisement

One problem. The Cardinals, who control the stadium's naming rights, said they want no part of that name.

Harry Morton, president and CEO of Pink Taco, said his group is prepared to use the $30 million as a starting point. He held a press conference Monday to announce the stadium proposal.

The family said it offered the Cardinals a $5 million good faith check during a meeting last week to show that they are serious about the proposal.

The Cardinals took the presentation as a joke and dismissed the Monday press conference by the family as a publicity stunt.

"There is zero chance of this happening," said Mark Dalton, director of media relations for the Cardinals. "We are in serious and legitimate naming rights discussion with several companies, this is not one of them."

Locally, the restaurant, named after a slang term for the vulva, caused a stir in Scottsdale when Mayor Mary Manross objected to the restaurant's opening in Scottsdale's Waterfront project.

Dalton said the team doesn't wanted to be associated with the Pink Taco brand, but wouldn't say exactly why.

Morton said on Monday that his family is very serious about the naming deal. He plans to meet with the Arizona Cardinals in the coming days. The Cardinals said there is no scheduled meeting.

The family dismissed the team's reaction as a "knee jerk" one and stated the proposal was not an attempt to get more publicity for the restaurant.

"We're talking about $30 million," he said. "That's an expensive publicity stunt."

A Pink Taco restaurant will be opened in Los Angeles early next year. The company is working on building a second restaurant in Arizona and looking at future sites in San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago and Dallas.

No seriously. The Arizona cardinals have the chance to do something really cool here, and give back to the city that they have leeched off of for years. They should forgo the $30M they would recieve for selling the naming rights, and name it Pat Tillman stadium, in honor of the most signifigant player in the history of thier franchise.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:19 pm

Somehow I kept getting distracted by this Pink Taco.

Hey Bob, what'd you eat today?
'oh, I had McDonalds..again. You?'
I ate Pink Taco baby! *hi5's all around*
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:31 pm

I think that the more important question is: "What would it take for anyone to be a Maxler fan?"
Oghma
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Oghma » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm not going to get into this totally, but I will say that it absolutely disgusted me when I saw this week's Sports Illustrated cover when it came to my mailbox. A picture of Pat Tillman with the cover spread "Remember his Name." It's bull. He was a soldier in the United States Military. Just like all the others that have been killed overseas. Why should I remember Pat Tillman's name over any others that have gone overseas. Just because he was a pro football player for a small amount of time means jack to me.

My 2 cents
Oghma The Lord of Knowledge, God of Bards
[ Administrator ] of TorilMUD
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:37 pm

Why should I remember Pat Tillman's name over any others that have gone overseas. Just because he was a pro football player for a small amount of time means jack to me.

Because unlike most of our soldiers, Pat Tilman did many things that normal soldiers couldnt do....

1. gave up millions of dollars to earn less than the average american to fight for what he believed in...
    2. was killed by friendly fire... {something i'd love to do in the mud}

I'm not saying honor Pat Tilman for being a nfl player, but I think it would be appropriate for them to do so...

Alendar - Raiders Fan -
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:26 am

alendar wrote:
Alendar - Raiders Fan -

comf

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:05 am

alendar wrote:
    1. gave up millions of dollars to earn less than the average american to fight for what he believed in...

Plenty of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines are wounded/killed by friendly fire and accidents that are not the result of direct combat operations. After having a rig break while I was on deck doing an underway refuelling 2 days ago and 200 feet of cable, line, and hose come crashing onto the deck, I don't think I appreciate you making jokes about servicemembers dying. Friendly fire, as far as I'm concerened, in a combat situation is an accident, just like those that claim lives all of the time in the military.

As far as the topic at hand is concerned; Pat Tillman quit the NFL to serve his country, and because of that I don't think its inappropriate at all for a sports publication to want to honor his memory. With respect to the sporting world, his death was the most prominent in the entire conflict to date and deserves recognition. If this was Time Magazine or something, I'd understand why someone might be upset.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:36 am

Gormal wrote:
alendar wrote:

Plenty of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines are wounded/killed by friendly fire and accidents that are not the result of direct combat operations. After having a rig break while I was on deck doing an underway refuelling 2 days ago and 200 feet of cable, line, and hose come crashing onto the deck, I don't think I appreciate you making jokes about servicemembers dying. Friendly fire, as far as I'm concerened, in a combat situation is an accident, just like those that claim lives all of the time in the military.

As far as the topic at hand is concerned; Pat Tillman quit the NFL to serve his country, and because of that I don't think its inappropriate at all for a sports publication to want to honor his memory. With respect to the sporting world, his death was the most prominent in the entire conflict to date and deserves recognition. If this was Time Magazine or something, I'd understand why someone might be upset.

Nice to hear it from the perspective of a soldier. (if you count navy fags) Well said jake

alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:02 pm

first gormal, i wasnt making a joke...

a good friend of mine , a marine, was killed in iraq 3 years ago.

i am sorry you took it wrong, it was never my intention to make a joke

my apologizes to all i offended...
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:56 am

alendar wrote:first gormal, i wasnt making a joke...

a good friend of mine , a marine, was killed in iraq 3 years ago.

i am sorry you took it wrong, it was never my intention to make a joke

my apologizes to all i offended...

you offended me by being a raider fan

Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:39 am

Pat Tillman quit the NFL and specifically asked for NO recognition for joining the Army.

He was a soldier, a patriot, and a combat leader who was torn apart protecting a soldier he was mentoring while under withering (friendly) fire from a browning M2 .50 caliber machine gun.

2800 casualties to date.

"honoring" him on Sports Illustrated, or by naming a football stadium after him, even the exorbitant memorial service is not what he asked for, and a 180 degree turn from what he would want.

Read any comment this guy gave when he enlisted. He didn't want to be "The guy that left millions behind to be a soldier." He was just a guy who was upholding a family tradition and doing what he felt was right. Giving him more recognition than any other soldier that has lost his life in that conflict would be counter to everything he believed in.
Corth
Sojourner

Re: what it would take to make me an arizona cards fan

Postby Corth » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:44 pm

Ruxur wrote: They should forgo the $30M they would recieve for selling the naming rights, and name it Pat Tillman stadium, in honor of the most signifigant player in the history of thier franchise.

If someone was offering YOU thirty million dollars to put their name on YOUR house, would you forego it and name it after something else for free? :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:20 pm

Corth wrote:
Ruxur wrote: They should forgo the $30M they would recieve for selling the naming rights, and name it Pat Tillman stadium, in honor of the most signifigant player in the history of thier franchise.

If someone was offering YOU thirty million dollars to put their name on YOUR house, would you forego it and name it after something else for free? :)

if i already had 90M, sure i would do the right thing for a city that i have done nothing but leeched off of. The bidwells are the worst owners in pro sports, they do not deserve thier fan base.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:23 am

Ruxur wrote:The bidwells are the worst owners in pro sports, they do not deserve thier fan base.

Ever heard of a guy named Carl Pohlad? :(
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:21 pm

at least Carl Pohlad puts people in place that know how a franchise is to be run. The cardnials are bad because of decisions they make on and off the field. They need to be gutted from top to bottom. The Twins are respectable (and normally a division contender) year in and year out because of good management and an even better farm system. The twins draft well (Mauer, Morneau) (reminder, Morneau was a meager third round steal) the cardnials draft poorly (with the exception of Matt Leinart) thier draft board is littered with where are they now guys. http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/drafttracker.php?o=by_team&TeamID=9017

Return to “General Discussion Archive”