PC dvd from Mac

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Yarash
Sojourner

PC dvd from Mac

Postby Yarash » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:43 pm

How do I make a DVD on a macintosh that can be used on a pc? I just want to burn select files on it, not an iso image.

- Mike
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:00 pm

Shouldn't it not matter? I haven't ever used my DVD burner on my Mac so I'm not sure. What exactly are you trying to burn and what program are you using?
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:41 pm

I use a Mac at work and a PC at home. It depends on the type of files you are burning. My Mac has Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc, so those files always work on my PC when I burn them to DVD. However, Powerpoint presentations always end up needing tweaked because of the different versions.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Is it a file format problem or a burning problem though?
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Re: PC dvd from Mac

Postby Xisiqomelir » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:13 pm

Yarash wrote:How do I make a DVD on a macintosh that can be used on a pc? I just want to burn select files on it, not an iso image.

- Mike

I'm going to assume OS X here. Discs burned with the finder are readable by windows by default. What you want to do to is:

-put in the blank DVD
-select "Open Finder" in the dialog that pops up
-open the DVD that shows up on your desktop
-drag the files into the DVD window and arrange them (in however many steps you like, you're not doing anything permanent yet)
-Click on the burn button on the DVD window or pick "Burn Disk" from the File menu
-wait for the burninng to finish then grab the disc

These instructions are all under Mac Help from the Help menu if you type "burn DVD".
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Yarash
Sojourner

Re: PC dvd from Mac

Postby Yarash » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:26 pm

Xisiqomelir wrote:Discs burned with the finder are readable by windows by default.

Thank you. In the classic os, using toast, it had to be specified if it was to be a mac or pc disc. I didn't see these options in osx so assumed it would be saving it as a mac disc.

- Mike
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:56 pm

Mac is thankfully moving more and more in the direction of dual OS. The new MacBook Pro runs Windows as a shell, which is something that people have wanted for God knows how long. I love my Apple.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”