Hacking Democracy

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Hacking Democracy

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:06 pm

Just curious if anyone else watched this Documentary on HBO the other day or TIVO'd it. I just watched it this morning, and taking into account any documentary is going to have a slant one way or another this one was still very disconcerting to say the very least.

So, anyone else see it?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:50 pm

Yeah, I saw it.

I was pretty impressed with the last part where they hacked the memory chip. I kept thinking "This wouldnt be an issue if they were using Open Source software" and then the guy hacked the hardware. Fuck. I don't live in the US so I can't vote there, but man, I'd be pretty pissed of if this was happening here.
V
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:07 pm

I really really want to see this. I'll pay someone to record this onto a DVD and send it to me. I've read a synopsis and I gotta see it for myself!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Haven't seen this one in particular, but I've seen a half dozen others like it.

It's not likely that someone will be able to hack a voting machine on the fly. However, that's not really the issue... the issue is that it can be done, and with an event as important as our national election, any chance is too much.

Diebold makes ATM machines which are virtually hack-proof without external hardware (card readers, etc). Why can't they do the same for voting machines?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:08 pm

Gormal wrote:I really really want to see this. I'll pay someone to record this onto a DVD and send it to me. I've read a synopsis and I gotta see it for myself!

It's on video.google.com. Go here to see it.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:32 pm

Like a paper ballot isn't a vote for Chad?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Ragorn wrote:It's not likely that someone will be able to hack a voting machine on the fly. However, that's not really the issue... the issue is that it can be done, and with an event as important as our national election, any chance is too much.

The people voting on election day aren't the ones hacking the voting machine, its the people that have access to the machine before they are put in place and powered up.
V
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Just watched it via that link...

Democrats, Republicans and any other person who votes should be concerned IMHO. It's not really about partisanship.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:19 pm

My Inmarsat connection to the internet makes 56k users look like they're going ludicrous speed.

Gimme a DVD Mike, I'll Paypal you some cash or something.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:54 pm

Ragorn said , 'Diebold has been making hack proof ATM machines for decades. Why can't they do the same with voting machines?'

The answer of course, is, they CAN. Which begs the question, 'Why DON'T they do the same with voting machines?'

One can argue all day long (educated or just bluffing) that the situation is different, the code is more complex, or whatever you want, but there is one single key fact which cannot be denied. Every ATM machine in the country keeps a paper receipt of every transaction. Just in case. The banks demand this. In fact, from what I have read, every touch-screen device made by DIeBold that handles money in some form or another does this. But NONE of their voting machines do this. Are our votes worth less than our dollars? Can it be explained by simple shortsightedness? (despite the fact there have been loud cries for accountability -a paper trail- to keep the vote trustworthy.) Or is there something more sinister going on..?

Manipulation of elections, whether through voter disenfranchisement, ballot stuffing, or other outright fraudulent and highly illegal practises, have been going on for decades in the good ole USofA. What sets this situation apart from the past is, now it can be done wholesale, affecting millions of people, rather than just occuring on the local level. And this time, its nearly impossible to prove it.

Electronic voting as it stands constitutes the greatest threat to our democracy America has ever faced. It is worse than Hitler, worse than the darkest day of the coldwar; it is the latest in a line of assaults fired at us from within, perpetrated by the very organisations that fuel America's growth and power. It is corporate wealth resolving itself into a direct attack on our most fundamental bastion of freedom -the vote. This is fascism, this is in America, and this is now.

Go to blackboxvoting.org and read more. Your country depends on it.

For those of you who would argue the danger is past, or even disproven, by the latest democratic sweep of the house and senate, I would say three things.

1. Are you so sure the democratic party is not equally compromised and thus serving the status quo? We have had a few carrots tossed our way, cheaper medicare and student loans, etc.. but we have also heard they will stay in Iraq, and that there will be no discussion whatsoever of impeachment (despite Mr. Bush's clear and numerous violations of the law, the constitution, and the American spirit).

2. Why show your hand when it would be obvious you are cheating? Save those cards to be played more carefully, and keep your system intact over the years. Election 2008 is only two years from now, and only the first in (hopefully) many more.

3. Even if there is no concerted effort to manipulate elections using these machines, the fact that the system is so flawed is not just embarassing, it is outright unacceptable. This grave and serious threat MUST be eliminated, and immediately.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:50 am

what kinda boat you on gormal? dont they have dir. sat. links there? should be routed through germany if they do. if not then cant you get a link on the hyper line?
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:37 am

anyone that says ATM and machine in the same sentence should be shot :(
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:48 am

Ambar wrote:anyone that says ATM and machine in the same sentence should be shot :(

You're note aware of Automated Teller Machine machines then?
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:18 am

About as aware as PIN numbers .. *sigh*

*click*

-Italian Proverb
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:50 pm

I think you need to read Vaprak's post more carefully, he was making a joke.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Yadir
Sojourner

Postby Yadir » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:09 pm

That reminds me of my favorite - the loading screen for Windows 2000. It said Windows 2000 - Based on NT Technology. Of course, NT stands for 'New Technology'.

Ahh.. redundancy.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Sarvis wrote:I think you need to read Vaprak's post more carefully, he was making a joke.

.......not enough energy to... argh... .... .. .. ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:20 pm

Satellite links are not all they're cracked up to be. When its running, the entire ship runs off of the same link and its still like 56k. It cuts out all of the time for things like abrupt course changes, weather, human error, drills, etc. Its by no means reliable.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:41 am

Gorm, tell them to stop painting the dish.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Gorm, tell them to stop painting the dish.

they are clearly marked DO NOT PAINT

*duh* :P

o wait i better watch it fore someone tells me you were joking (lol)

-Italian Proverb
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:27 am

The thing I always loved was that "DO NOT PAINT" was always painted on.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:55 pm

for yet another non objective opinion

http://www6.diebold.com/dieboldes/
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:12 am

Yadir wrote:That reminds me of my favorite - the loading screen for Windows 2000. It said Windows 2000 - Based on NT Technology. Of course, NT stands for 'New Technology'.

Ahh.. redundancy.

i thought it stood for "nice try"

or better luck "next time"

:)
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:44 am

enjoy your new technology technology
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”