Who else is getting a McRib?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.

Willst Thou Partake of the McRib Splendor?

Yay.
35%
Nay.
65%

Total votes: 26
Gormal
Sojourner

Who else is getting a McRib?

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:14 pm

I hear that the McRib is back in stores, hopefully I can snag one in Guam or Hawaii before they stop selling em as I've always had a sick sort of love for these things.

Wikipedia Site

The McRib is a sandwich from McDonald's made from boneless pork and barbecue sauce on a bun, with onions and pickles added. It was developed at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.[citation needed] The sandwich test-marketed very well in Nebraska and other Midwestern markets and was added to the restaurant's permanent menu throughout the United States in 1981.[citation needed] Sales were mediocre, and it was removed after several years, only to be brought back on a temporary basis every year since. Numerous inconclusive explanations based on pork prices and even conspiracy theories have been suggested to explain the McRib's periodic reappearances.

Officials at McDonald's, in a 1985 stockholder meeting, mentioned that the reason the McRib was pulled was because the McRib couldn't sustain international sales because many countries don't eat pork on a regular basis. Germany was mentioned as an example which could sustain sales, but not the US or certainly Asia Pacific countries. The strategy announced at that time would be that the McRib would be brought back periodically as a "specialty" sandwich since it definitely increased sales during a promotional period and then drops off. Also, the McRib didn't stay in the warming bin long enough so food cost would be higher.

The McRib has a devoted, almost cult-like following, who would like to see the McRib sandwich become a permanent item on McDonald's menu. The sandwich was spoofed in The Simpsons episode "I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can" where Krusty Burger released a sandwich called the "Ribwich," but only on a temporary basis. The Ribwich was discontinued after the animal it was made from (hinted to be some sort of insect) became extinct. It is also spoofed on an episode of The Boondocks where a back-from-a-coma Martin Luther King Jr. ate one, exclaiming "Oh snap! No they didn't! A boneless rib sandwich!". In the reality show "The Osbournes", Jack mentions his love for the McRib sandwich. Kelly responds by saying "What the heck is a Muc-Rib?"

On November 1, 2005, McDonald's put out a press release stating that the McRib would be permanently removed from the menu following a "McRib Farewell Tour." This appears to have been a deceptive kickoff to a viral marketing campaign; mcrib.com, a site registered to McDonald's, features a petition to "Save the McRib," which is facetiously sponsored by the "Boneless Pig Farmers Association of America." So in a two-angled campaign, McDonald's is simultaneously conducting a McRib farewell tour and sponsoring a petition to "Save the McRib" to create buzz. On October 16, 2006, the "McRib Farewell Tour II" site appeared, confirming the campaign was a marketing ploy. The petition to "Save the McRib" still exists as well as the "BPFAA" site.[/url]

Nutrional Info

490 Calories
25g Total Fat
8g Saturated Fat
0g Trans Fat
75mg Cholesterol
1040mg Sodium
44g Carbohydrates
2g Dietary Fiber
24g Protein

MMmmmm, delicious!
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Two please, supersized.

Krusty: Listen, about the Ribwich. We won't be making them anymore. The animal we made them from is now extinct.
Homer: The pig?
Otto: The cow?
Krusty: You're way off. Think smaller...think more legs.
PhantomCabbie
Sojourner

Postby PhantomCabbie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Mmmmm, unidentifiable meat pressed into a handy-dandy rib shaped mold with grill marks painted on with black food coloring. *wipes his mouth with a napkin*

Oh and yes, I'm getting one. There's a chemical within that makes you crave them fortnightly.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:13 pm

strangely delicious. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm McRib!
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:42 pm

Who is this McRib naysayer that voted no? Into the light I command thee!
Teshidee
Sojourner

Postby Teshidee » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:53 pm

*steps forward*

btw, far as i know, you can always get them here.
PhantomCabbie
Sojourner

Postby PhantomCabbie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 pm

Who is this McRib naysayer that voted no? Into the light I command thee!

Off with his McHead!
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

omg

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:22 pm

As long as we're doing McRib, think we can do McAvernus too?

:flee:
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:46 pm

Krusty: "The animal we made these from is now extinct."
NPC: "What was it, cow? Chicken?"
Krusty: "No! Think smaller, and more legs..."

<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:30 am

I heard it was back, but couldn't find a place that sells it.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:16 am

No McDonalds for me, ick
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:09 pm

How in the hell has Nay overtaken Yay? Where are all of the McRib supporters!
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:29 pm

McNasty or just a plain McEvil? And people call this stuff food...
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:30 pm

Last time I ate one of those, my bowels hated me for nearly three days. Nay!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Hell no, I refuse to eat fast food in general unless as a last resort. Mcdonalds is usually the last fast food place I'd pick when I hit that last resort, McRibs are even further down that list. They just don't taste right, some small part of your soul dies when you eat one.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:11 pm

Ignoring the fact that there are at least half a dozen good barbeque places within easy driving distance of my place, I have to say that I can't bring myself to trust something that has bones made of meat. Or whatever McDonald's passes off as meat, anyway.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”