Man vs. Wild

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Yarash
Sojourner

Man vs. Wild

Postby Yarash » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:06 am

Has anyone else been watching this series? It's about a guy who puts himself out in the wild and then shows you what needs to be done to survive.

In one episode he's out in a desert type area and dives in stagnant nasty water, eats raw vulture eggs, and pees on his shirt...then puts it on his head to keep cool. In another episode he eats, well, I don't want to gross you out too much, so I won't say what type of bug he ate, but he ate insects. Then in another episode he's in kenya and squeezes elephant ____ over his mouth to get something to drink.

There are always times in these episodes where I try to imagine what's going through his mind, and usually I imagine that he's thinking, "God I hope people watch this show!" This guy is clearly nuts. What do you think is going through his mind? Discuss :)

- Mike
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:12 pm

LOL We TIVO it. The Kenya one we will have to wait til the 19th to see since ours got cut off right after the elephant poop water scene.
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:13 pm

Unless he knows something that we don't... like we're getting ready to go through World War 3 and America is going to be thrown into an Apocalyptic Anarchy, all he's thinking of is the paycheck.

Think about it, he has a camera, a trailer on site, and a full crew wandering around just to find the most disgusting body of water in the area for him to dive into. He's reaching out to a country full of people who will probably never, EVER experience nature in its raw form. Most of the people we know think it's a disaster of national proportions just to be stuck in an area that doesn't have an incandescently lit bathroom with a toilet that does the flushing for them. A good fourth of the generation growing up now doesn't even know what home cooking is like, let alone the kind of hunger it takes to get creative in your diet, other than "Hey, let's try Arby's tonight instead of McDonald's."

We're a country full of people who want to know what it's like to suffer... as long as we don't have to experience it first-hand, and we don't mind dropping big bucks into somebody else's pocket in order to suffer vicariously.

The guy's just doing what nature intended us all to be able to do, but somewhere along the way the technology bully beat the hell out of natural selection on nature's playground, and we all started de-evolving into squicked potatoes with a dietary requirement of laboratory-grown food equivalents and no natural immune systems.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:36 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Unless he knows something that we don't... like we're getting ready to go through World War 3 and America is going to be thrown into an Apocalyptic Anarchy, all he's thinking of is the paycheck.

Think about it, he has a camera, a trailer on site, and a full crew wandering around just to find the most disgusting body of water in the area for him to dive into. He's reaching out to a country full of people who will probably never, EVER experience nature in its raw form. Most of the people we know think it's a disaster of national proportions just to be stuck in an area that doesn't have an incandescently lit bathroom with a toilet that does the flushing for them. A good fourth of the generation growing up now doesn't even know what home cooking is like, let alone the kind of hunger it takes to get creative in your diet, other than "Hey, let's try Arby's tonight instead of McDonald's."

We're a country full of people who want to know what it's like to suffer... as long as we don't have to experience it first-hand, and we don't mind dropping big bucks into somebody else's pocket in order to suffer vicariously.

The guy's just doing what nature intended us all to be able to do, but somewhere along the way the technology bully beat the hell out of natural selection on nature's playground, and we all started de-evolving into squicked potatoes with a dietary requirement of laboratory-grown food equivalents and no natural immune systems.

Or, you could say "Hey. It's an entertaining show". I don't really feel the need to pick it apart to that extent.

Dunno, maybe it's just me.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:39 pm

Ashiwi wrote:The guy's just doing what nature intended us all to be able to do, but somewhere along the way the technology bully beat the hell out of natural selection on nature's playground, and we all started de-evolving into squicked potatoes with a dietary requirement of laboratory-grown food equivalents and no natural immune systems.

I dunno, it sounds like he's going to extremes that I have trouble believing are required for wilderness survival.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:53 pm

the episode i saw was he parachuted onto the alps...

and had to find his way down....

was interesting....

i think he couldnt survive in compton... but he does good in the woods.
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:32 pm

michael mann say compton is really safe. i saw bowling for columbine. its the media that's propogating the fear of american citizen.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:40 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Think about it, he has a camera, a trailer on site, and a full crew wandering around just to find the most disgusting body of water in the area for him to dive into. He's reaching out to a country full of people who will probably never, EVER experience nature in its raw form.

If this is the same show I watched once, yer dead wrong.

I don't remember the actual title of the show I watched, but suffice to say the guy was left near the north pole w/ a broken snowmobile, a camera to film himself, a seal skin sack with a bit of seal meat inside, a sled(not sure what it's called, but inuits use them to haul stuff around(no it's not a dogsled)) and a vague clue of where to go.

Needless to say, there was no trailer and he was in serious survival mode. He had a rifle for ONLY use against polar bears that attacked(though he did use it to start a fire because that wasn't hunting for food which was the stipulation).

I really enjoyed the show, regardless of what I think of society.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:52 pm

That is a different show, Tasan. (I forget the name of it though.)
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:06 pm

Survivorman?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”