Help me Pick a New PC Laptop

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Gormal
Sojourner

Help me Pick a New PC Laptop

Postby Gormal » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:30 pm

So I'm in the market for a PC laptop to replace the piece of crap sitting next to my PowerBook. I love my Mac, but it just doesn't have the juice necessary to play graphic-intense games. I'm thinking of spending around $1300-1600. Based on the below, some of you should give me reccomendations (I'm looking at you Rylan/Maxler!)

My minimum requirements:

- 17" Monitor
- Have a decent video card (I'm not up at all on what's good, but good enough so that WoW won't freeze up when I walk into Shattrath like it does on my Mac)
-Not be garbage.

My friend bought a HP Pavillion from Circuit City and I kind of like it, (it retails for around 1350). GIVE ME THE INFOZ!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Don't buy an HP. Ugh.

I've gone with the Dells for the past three laptops and have nothing but good luck. I've always bought the highest end "multimedia" laptop, but not the XPS (their gaming label) version, as it doesn't seem worth the extra money.

They've changed the model names around since the last time I bought one, but it looks like the Inspiron E1705 is the equivalent of my 9300. I spec'd it at about $2300 for a top of the line modem but you can almost certainly get a chunk of that off by playing the Dell discount game (google for dell discount e-coupons) or by downgrading some of the components.

Make sure to get a 7200 RPM drive, as the slower drives are a nasty bottleneck on laptops. Also make sure to select the WUXGA True Life monitor option to get the really snazzy display. 256MB video cards are the standard on these models, and I personally prefer nVidia but I'm sure the ATI model is fine as well.

As for the CPU, make sure to get a Core Duo 2. I tend to get the 2nd-highest end model of the CPU so as not to pay the premium for the "best."

For what it's worth, my Inspiron 9300 cost $2300 also, but with e-coupons found on the web I got it down to about $1650.

Hope that helps.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:01 pm

Hey shev. good advice there, but why the core duo? is it better than AMD's duel core product? I haven't kept up with things lately. Thought amd was better than intel was as far as gaming went...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:58 pm

While I wouldn't buy an HP Pavillion, I certainly wouldn't ever buy a Dell. Ever. I ran a service shop at a computer store for 8 years.

While it may be a tad out of your price range, I'm 100% satisfied with my HP business class notebook (not a Pavillion). I have an HP nc8430, which is a widescreen 15.4", but I've never had an issue with the nx9420 either: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25b/321957-321957-64295-321838-3329741-1839153.html

Toshibas I've had mixed results with. Sony seems to have nice feature sets, but I've never had much luck with their tech support. ThinkPads are great machines from everything I've ever seen, but I admit to not having a lot of experience with them post-IBM.

I will throw my card in and say that I run only Intel CPUs in all my rigs, but I'm not a hardcore gamer. From everything I've read though it's neck and neck right now on who has the best CPU for gaming and makes next to no difference at all currently.

I would suggest getting 2 GB of RAM though in addition to Shev's endorsement of 7200 RPM drives. Note that 7200 RPM HD will hinder your battery life, but that likely isn't an issue if you are playing graphically intense games anyways.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:39 am

Definitely get 2GB of RAM, yeah.

Core 2 Duo is the big kid on the block atm, AMD is lagging behind.

I've had a couple of mid-range Dells for business machines and haven't been very satisfied with them, but the high-end models have never given me any issues. In fact, one of them is still ticking despite being dropped 3x, having orange juice spilled directly in the case (don't ask), and being lugged around and beaten up in general for 6 years.

That said, I don't know that they're any better than the other options out there currently, although for a long time Dell always had the latest and greatest before anyone else. All I know is that I've had great luck with them, and my 2 year old 9300 can still play all of the newest games on high settings.

Toshiba Satellites are pretty good also.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Vhaeraun
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Vhaeraun » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 am

On graphics cards..

Avoid Intel-based graphics chips like the plague.. Newer games will not work properly with them.

ATI kind of works, but I'd go with NVidia if I have a choice. Look for Pixelshader 3.0 support, or you will be hurt for the future.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:47 am

Why a laptop? If you just want it for gaming you can always get more power for less price with a desktop machine, plus you can upgrade parts down the line rather than having to get a completely new machine. The only advantage of a laptop is you can carry it around with you, so unless you intend to do that I'd check out desktop systems.

As or the Intel/AMD thing, from everything I hear the Core 2 Duo blows away AMD's chips. AMD used to be better/cheaper, but they haven't made anything competitive with Core 2 Duo yet. It's probably not that big of a deal though, I'm running an AMD dual core and it works fine for games like STALKER. (It'smy crappy old video card that doesn't. :( )
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:27 pm

I will never purchase a desktop system again. I'm not a whore for incredibly powerful systems, so I can get all of the functionality I need in a portable package. I travel a lot, and like to bring my computer to friends' houses, and its just so convienient. Sometimes I like to shift my computer to the living room coffee table with my roomate so we can watch a movie while we play games or whatever.

This will be my fourth laptop in a row and I have no desire to ever go back to a standard tower setup.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Like I said: Unless you travel alot. :P

It's not just for power they, desktops are usually much cheaper for the same amount of power.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:34 pm

For the last year I've had the Dell XPS 1710 and I have been MORE than satisfied for the money put down. I've never been quite as satisfied with a computer as I have been (and still am) with this laptop. Besides, it's flashy with all those lights. :)

I'll concede that it's probably rather expensive for most, though. But it meets all of your criteria you listed, so I figured I'd chime in.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:22 pm

On a side note, I finally got tired of this horrible Kensington travel mouse I've had forever and kicked out a cool hundred for the Logitech MX Revolution and I've never been happier with a computer periphrial.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:40 pm

Oooooh. Shiney.

How is it on your hands? My mousing hand is almost constantly in pain... that spot for the thumb rest looks... helpful. Good?

ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:53 pm

Ahhh interesting mouse.

Yea, I too am thinking a nicer mouse might help - pretty much used only basic/cheaper/simple design ones the past several years.

Some more expensive/better designed ones would have improved ergonomics & comfort, yes?

---

ALso re: laptop -

A collegue of mine recently bought this, for around AUD$2500:

HP Pavilion dv9218TX
SPECIFICATIONS:
* Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium
* Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5600 (1.83 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
* NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 with up to 256MB dedicated graphic memory
* Altec Lansing speakers
* 17.0" WXGA+ High Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
* 1024MB DDR2 (2 Dimms) up to 2GB
* 160GB 5400RPM
* LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±RW with Double Layer Support
* Intel PRO/Wireless 802.11a/b/g; Bluetooth; Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN
* Integrated 5-in-1 digital memory reader slot (xD, SD, MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO)
* Integrated 1.3 Megapixel webcam, 4 USB 2.0, VGA, HDMI, IEEE 1394, RJ-11/Modem, RJ-45/Ethernet, 1 Headphone jack with SPDIF, 1 Headphone jack (additional), 1 Microphone jack, Consumer IR, S-Video Output, AC Adaptor, Integrated HP Mobile Remote Control, HP ExpressCard Digital TV tuner
* 8-cell Li-Ion battery
* 39.6 x 28.5 x 3.33 - 4.48 cm
* 3.78kg

She's a very basic user and will not use the ok graphics etc. - just liked the large size (17" screen, with number pad etc.)
Seems you are after a model or 2 above this anyway Jake eh.

And yea, a faster HD would be a necessity, as would a good Intel C2D CPU and 2GB reasonable spec RAM, for mine.

Over here, Asus, Dell & HP seem to be the brands attracting the most recommendations in IT circles/forums etc.
BEER
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:12 am

I have big hands (hello ladies) so having a full-sized mouse is instantly helping my hand from cramping up. The ergonomics are perfect, and the functionality is great. I'm all about wireless, and this one has its own recharging station so there's no need to buy batteries.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 am

After using a diamondback razor mouse I'll never go back. Use one with laptop and desktop. Will never do another wireless mouse after runnin outta batteries in an EQ raid once too.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:56 pm

Gormal wrote:kicked out a cool hundred for the Logitech MX Revolution

For future reference, you may want to check out <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104015">Newegg</a> when buying computer parts. I was iffy on it for $100, but for $79 with a $20 rebate I think I'm getting a new mouse!

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:36 pm

I get impatient sometimes and impulse-buy. While not the most financially sound way to go about things, it is rather satisfying.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:49 pm

Tanji Smanji wrote:Will never do another wireless mouse after runnin outta batteries in an EQ raid once too.

bahahhaa. That's gotta be the worst.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:51 pm

Having a wireless mouse with built in batteries and its own charging station alleviates the whole "battery" problem! I just toss it on the stand when I get up and never worry about it.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:13 am

Gormal wrote:Having a wireless mouse with built in batteries and its own charging station alleviates the whole "battery" problem! I just toss it on the stand when I get up and never worry about it.

Now THAT is a great idea.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 pm

Gormal wrote:Having a wireless mouse with built in batteries and its own charging station alleviates the whole "battery" problem! I just toss it on the stand when I get up and never worry about it.

Meh, if the razer wasn't just flat out superior to every other mouse I've used I'd consider it. Right now I would never buy anything else.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”