free internet phone calling service?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
muma
Sojourner

free internet phone calling service?

Postby muma » Wed May 23, 2007 4:51 pm

hey, does anyone know of something like skype that is free? i'm in europe and i want to be able to call home for free. i thought there was something. please let me know.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Well, its not exactly free, but I have had good luck using standard VOIP services such as Vonage while abroad. There are usually deals where you can get the box free after rebate. I know their cheapest service plan is about $20 a month (with taxes included), and you get 500 minutes of calls to the US (doesn't matter where you place them from). A few bucks more will get you unlimited calling to the US.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed May 23, 2007 7:06 pm

I thought Skype was free...?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed May 23, 2007 7:31 pm

Sarvis wrote:I thought Skype was free...?

Only if the other person has Skype as well. Otherwise it charges like the other VOIP services to make regular phone calls. I'm looking at subscribing to Time Warner here so our phone runs through our cable, but Vonage (who is in a legal battle with Verizon atm...) might be cheaper... dunno yet. The nice thing is, once the 'box' is plugged into the phone jack in the house, the phone lines are wired and you can use a phone in any room instead of being stuck to your computer like skype.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed May 23, 2007 8:08 pm

/hijax!

I'm holding back on the VoIP bandwagon till everybody gets their heads on straight. Right now too many ISP's are battling for their 'right' to sell VoIP services without competition which pisses me off.

Take Clearwire for example, which has implemented blockers on their servers to prevent their customers from using Vonage or Skype, so they have to buy VoIP from Clearwire. Jank.

Eventually the FCC will get more involved I suspect and work towards regulating everything, it just sucks because we will see a good, inexpensive idea become an expensive one dominated by the telecom industry.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Wed May 23, 2007 11:06 pm

i use skype.. and it does cost to call land lines. it's free if it's computer to computer though.
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 23, 2007 11:39 pm

Hrmm, if my ISP blocked vonage, I would probably switch from cable to maybe FIOS or some other service.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu May 24, 2007 12:32 am

Corth wrote:Hrmm, if my ISP blocked vonage, I would probably switch from cable to maybe FIOS or some other service.

I'd switch to FIOS anyway if it were available here, but I'd bet Verizon has more reason to block vonage than cable companies...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 24, 2007 3:29 am

Point being that when competition comes into play then its more difficult for internet providers to pull that bullshit. Was really sleezy how my local cable company tried to keep FIOS out of the market by paying off politicians and making deceptive ad campaigns. Come to think of it.. probably will switch to FIOS.

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”