Who/Where do you trust to get your news from?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Who/Where do you trust to get your news from?

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:19 am

I'm curious.

How can people be assured anything they hear in the news is true? With that said, whom or where do you go to get your news information? Online? Tv? Paper? And why do you go to said site for news? Why is it less biased than any other site? I'm quite curious.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: Who/Where do you trust to get your news from?

Postby Sarvis » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 am

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Who/Where do you trust to get your news from?

Teflor.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:17 am

preemptive strike!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:26 am

I get the news online because its convenient and I hate bundling newspapers for recycable pickup. Even the economist magazine, which is the best source of international news, has an online edition. While I have no problem with supposedly 'objective' journalism that is the majority of news out there (no such thing as truly objective, but doesn't hurt to try), I also am in favor of admittedly biased sources because they are advocating a position, so their arguments are sharp, and they're biases are disclosed. In other words, admittely biased sources are the most honest type of journalism. What bothers me are news sources that are unequivocally trying to push a political agenda, while insisting that they are an objective and non-biased source.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:08 pm

Corth wrote:In other words, admittely biased sources are the most honest type of journalism.

The problem is that they can take a story and twist it to suit their own ends. So while you know they are trying to prove a point, you aren't necessarily getting good information.

EDIT: You know, I was trying to think of an example... then I remembered: you're a lawyer! Do you believe everything the guy on the other side of the courtroom says just because he's trying to prove his side? Even if he uses facts, isn't he going to carefully word things in the best light for his case?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:13 pm

Sarvis,

I did not say that I believe everything said by someone who is admittedly biased. I simply believe there is a certain honesty in disclosing ones biases rather than pretending to be objective.

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:15 pm

Corth wrote:I get the news online because its convenient and I hate bundling newspapers for recycable pickup. Even the economist magazine, which is the best source of international news, has an online edition. While I have no problem with supposedly 'objective' journalism that is the majority of news out there (no such thing as truly objective, but doesn't hurt to try), I also am in favor of admittedly biased sources because they are advocating a position, so their arguments are sharp, and they're biases are disclosed. In other words, admittely biased sources are the most honest type of journalism. What bothers me are news sources that are unequivocally trying to push a political agenda, while insisting that they are an objective and non-biased source.

You read the New York Post, don't you... :lol:
Ghimok
Sojourner

Postby Ghimok » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:31 pm

I get the bulk of my news from www.fark.com and my local print newspaper.

I also check www.cnn.com, msnbc.com, motleyfool.com, etc every once in a while, but I focus more on the business/finance section.

I can't remember the last time I watched any news on TV except for the couple of times this year that I couldn't get to sleep so I watched a House subcommittee conference on Subprime Mortgage Lending on CSPAN. I was out in 15 seconds flat.

The rest of my news comes from The Onion, America's Finest News Source (tm). With news like this: http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... g_employee you can't go wrong.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:05 pm

Love the post :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:50 pm

The daily show and colbert report... sometimes I'll watch CNN, but very rarely. My belief is that if I'm going to get a slanted view of the news anyway, I might as well laugh my ass off while getting it.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:15 am

The Onion.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:22 am

Corth wrote:What bothers me are news sources that are unequivocally trying to push a political agenda, while insisting that they are an objective and non-biased source.

Objective and non-biased?

Do you mean... fair and balanced?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:23 am

Ragorn wrote:
Corth wrote:What bothers me are news sources that are unequivocally trying to push a political agenda, while insisting that they are an objective and non-biased source.

Objective and non-biased?

Do you mean... fair and balanced?

Buuuuurn

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:49 am

Oh yes, you have burned the straw man Corth who must have said somewhere that he is hooked up intraveneously to FNC 24/7. :)

I understand the NY Post is owned by the same company as FNC, but its editorial page philosophy is no secret to anyone. FNC on the other hand is blatantly biased towards the right and should acknowledge it.. as should CNN, the NY Times, and most other mainstream media outlets acknowledge they are biased to the left.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:40 pm

I think he just means all news is biased but he prefers to read the news that comes out and SAYS they are biased rather than those who try to hide it with bullsh*t

I agree

And .. fark and the onion FTW!

And here all this time I thought some of us turned to the BBS for latest greatest news :( *alas*
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Eh, I don't mind Fark, but you have to be very careful on Fark about considering your sources. Anything that links to Freep, LGF, Kos, or Fox News is probably either badly warped or simply bullshit. In fact, the entire political tab in general is more about starting flamewars in the comments than delivering any quantity of useful news.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:21 pm

hehe I look to Fark for humor of the day!!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Word of mouth. If it is important enough, then someone will eventually complain about it in front of me.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:18 pm

Ragorn wrote:Eh, I don't mind Fark, but you have to be very careful on Fark about considering your sources. Anything that links to Freep, LGF, Kos, or Fox News is probably either badly warped or simply bullshit. In fact, the entire political tab in general is more about starting flamewars in the comments than delivering any quantity of useful news.

Actually, to be honest I get most of my "news" from Fark headlines and the comments. Almost never read the actual articles though...

/duck

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:05 am

Corth wrote:Oh yes, you have burned the straw man Corth who must have said somewhere that he is hooked up intraveneously to FNC 24/7. :)

I understand the NY Post is owned by the same company as FNC, but its editorial page philosophy is no secret to anyone. FNC on the other hand is blatantly biased towards the right and should acknowledge it.. as should CNN, the NY Times, and most other mainstream media outlets acknowledge they are biased to the left.

Lol, Corth.. I was implying a burn to fox news, not you. I agree with you, actually. I watch news that is admitedly biased like colbert report/daily show. As for CNN, I don't really watch it much... just when some national event occurs that people are talking about like the DC sniper, etc...

Honestly, I take from the news very little... just that certain events happen. If i care about them, I'll research them myself rather than listen to their "experts" because most stuff that requires an expert is usually subjective, and no news channel/source is going to bring in an expert that disagrees with them unless they are wanting to try to humiliate them on television by bringing in 4 other experts of their own to argue.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:22 am

Sarvis wrote:Actually, to be honest I get most of my "news" from Fark headlines and the comments. Almost never read the actual articles though...

/duck

You should.

It's not rare for a submitter to intentionally post a link with a headline that is exactly opposite the article he linked, for the sole purpose of starting a flamewar.
- Ragorn
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:09 am

NOTE: Links probably Not Safe For Work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sun_(newspaper)

http://ralph.ninemsn.com.au/

http://www.consumptionjunction.com/

http://www.toxiccustard.com/

Also, Picture Magazine (Australia) of course.

But the only real source that anyone needs to extract useful worldly news from is obviously:

http://www.dccomics.com/mad/

or: Wiki Link.
BEER
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:55 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Ragorn wrote:Eh, I don't mind Fark, but you have to be very careful on Fark about considering your sources. Anything that links to Freep, LGF, Kos, or Fox News is probably either badly warped or simply bullshit. In fact, the entire political tab in general is more about starting flamewars in the comments than delivering any quantity of useful news.

Actually, to be honest I get most of my "news" from Fark headlines and the comments. Almost never read the actual articles though...

/duck

That explains a lot :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:23 pm

Corth wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

/duck

That explains a lot :)

This from the Fox news junkie. :P

Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:03 pm

/.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:28 pm

i get my news from torilmud.org/phpBB2
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:33 am

yahoo news, espn, & la times.

yahoo cuz it's my home page.

espn cuz i'm a big sports fan.

la times, cuz it's my hometown paper.
Sundara
Sojourner

Re: Who/Where do you trust to get your news from?

Postby Sundara » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Who/Where do you trust to get your news from?

Teflor.

LOL
When poverty comes knocking on your door, love escapes through the window.

-German Proverb-
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:23 am

Iwon.com, CNBC, FOXNews, MSNBC, Realmoney.com and WSJ
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:09 am

Lathander wrote:FOXNews

Black people can't swim.

Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:54 pm

They can't?
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:07 am

i know witches can float
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:04 pm

Right, if they drown, then they were innocent?

Return to “General Discussion Archive”