Go Go Gadget U.S. Dollar!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Kifle
Sojourner

Go Go Gadget U.S. Dollar!

Postby Kifle » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:46 pm

Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:54 am

Can't wait to see what that chart looks like if the government actually tries to bail out the housing mess.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:57 am

Corth wrote:Can't wait to see what that chart looks like if the government actually tries to bail out the housing mess.

Pesos will be > us dollar :(

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Cap'n Touk
Sojourner

Postby Cap'n Touk » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:58 am

Ah don't worry, if you actually dip below 1.00 you can all become one of Canada's provinces.. how bout that? You can play hockey and drink beer all day long!

T
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:53 am

That sounds all well and good until all of a sudden they have us curling too!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:30 am

Cap'n Touk wrote:Ah don't worry, if you actually dip below 1.00 you can all become one of Canada's provinces.. how bout that? You can play hockey and drink beer all day long!

T

Mmm... hockey! Just remembered preseason started monday! GO PENS!

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Cap'n Touk wrote:Ah don't worry, if you actually dip below 1.00 you can all become one of Canada's provinces.. how bout that? You can play hockey and drink beer all day long!

T

Can we also have your strippers and lax stripper-laws?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:25 am

Corth wrote:That sounds all well and good until all of a sudden they have us curling too!

Is curling anything like retching?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:29 am

T

Sign me up, eh.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:46 am

Down another tenth of a cent!

sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:27 pm

investing in the euro a good idea?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 pm

Up until today yes. Who knows what will happen tomorrow.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:10 pm

We're now almost dead even with Canada -- only 4 tenths of a cent ahead. So sad...

Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:19 pm

Spent some time in Vancouver once. I could stand to have a club like Brandi's down here. Mmmmm.

Sarvis wrote:

T

sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 pm

see food or meat house?
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Cordan wrote:Spent some time in Vancouver once. I could stand to have a club like Brandi's down here. Mmmmm.

Sarvis wrote:

T

We have a Brandi's in Michigan... full nude ladies and you only need to be 18 -- just no alcohol.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:03 am

Down to 8 hundreths of a cent ahead :(

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:59 am

Kifle,

Maybe you can explain to me how its relevant whether or not the US dollar is ahead of the canadian dollar or below it. For instance, presumably, if the US government went ahead and issued 9 dollars to each person holding a dollar, the US dollar would only be worth 10% of what it once was because of dilution.. so it would be approximately 10 US dollars to 1 Canadian dollar.. but purchasing power in that case would not have changed. I undertstand that a change in value vis-a-vis another currency impacts purchasing power.. and no doubt we can buy less in Canada these days because of our diminished dollar.. but how is the parity aspect relevent outside of psychology?

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Corth wrote:Kifle,

Maybe you can explain to me how its relevant whether or not the US dollar is ahead of the canadian dollar or below it. For instance, presumably, if the US government went ahead and issued 9 dollars to each person holding a dollar, the US dollar would only be worth 10% of what it once was because of dilution.. so it would be approximately 10 US dollars to 1 Canadian dollar.. but purchasing power in that case would not have changed. I undertstand that a change in value vis-a-vis another currency impacts purchasing power.. and no doubt we can buy less in Canada these days because of our diminished dollar.. but how is the parity aspect relevent outside of psychology?

Well, I'm no economist by any means -- I've only taken two classes and can't remember half of what I was supposed to learn, but I think it's pretty common sense that when the US dollar drops, imports become more expensive (our buying power in the global economy). One major import that effects everybody is oil. So our diminished purchasing power isn't relegated to only Canada.

Also, with the worsening situation of the dollar also comes less foriegn investors. We haven't seen anything other than the dollar being sold in favor of other major countries' currency, but if the decline does not bottom out, or at the very least slow down, this could end up hurting American industry... as far as investment goes.

I believe the weakening of the dollar may also cause an influx in exportation, but I'm going to have to plead ignorance on that front.

So, yeah, right now the weak dollar does not affect us THAT much, if this current trend does not level out, it could be the cause of a lot of damage to the US economy. But, even still, I consider economy to be the "cold reading medium" of sciences, so who knows that will happen.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:25 am

Wasn't really the question I was asking.. I understand that the dollar has been losing value.. I just don't see how its relevant whether 1 canadian dollar is less than or more than 1 us dollar. The parity aspect.. 1:1 is completely arbitrary. 1 US dollar might be worth 2000 italian liras (back before the Euro).. doesn't mean very much at all that its a 2000:1 ratio. So why is the 1:1 ratio of us dollars to canadian dollar relevant?

Also, as aside, I think that generally when the dollar is weak, you see more foreign investment since foreigners can get more value here for their currency.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:06 am

Corth wrote:Wasn't really the question I was asking.. I understand that the dollar has been losing value.. I just don't see how its relevant whether 1 canadian dollar is less than or more than 1 us dollar. The parity aspect.. 1:1 is completely arbitrary. 1 US dollar might be worth 2000 italian liras (back before the Euro).. doesn't mean very much at all that its a 2000:1 ratio. So why is the 1:1 ratio of us dollars to canadian dollar relevant?

Also, as aside, I think that generally when the dollar is weak, you see more foreign investment since foreigners can get more value here for their currency.

Eh, I was just using Canada as an example of the weakening dollar -- probably because Canada is our closest neighbor with money that's actually worth something.

Also, I would assume foriegn investments would go down until the dollar stabalizes, or is on the brink of stabalizing. What may happen is corperate buyouts of American corperations to get a good bang for the buck, but as far as wallstreet goes, I would expect an influx of selling on behalf of foriegn investors since higher cost of imports will jack up prices at the dealer level... wages wont match inflation, so profit margins will go down.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:29 pm

I tend to agree with corth.

because oil is traded in dollars it doesnt matter as much for us. There has been talk over the years of changing the currency of oil to the euro. so far that hasn't gained traction, but thats niether here nor there. Oil does become more expensive, but not like it would if we had to trade for it in canadian beavers.

as far as more expensinve imports, thats true, but given our massive trade imbalance, the decade long decline in manufacturing, it would be nice to actually have some exports again and create some manufacturing jobs for the retards who couldnt finish high school but expect to make 25 bucks an hour for a job a child in bangladesh will do for $1 a month. Yea for Democrats yea for unions, our "middle class". /endrant

Your buying power may be diminsihed if you want to buy a sony vaio, but you could probably buy an equivalent dell. cars dont matter much because the popular foreign cars are made here in teh US, technically they arent an import.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:18 pm

kiryan wrote:it would be nice to actually have some exports again and create some manufacturing jobs for the retards who couldnt finish high school but expect to make 25 bucks an hour for a job a child in bangladesh will do for $1 a month.

I appreciate that sentiment.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:36 pm

kiryan wrote: and create some manufacturing jobs for the retards who couldnt finish high school but expect to make 25 bucks an hour for a job a child in bangladesh will do for $1 a month. Yea for Democrats yea for unions, our "middle class". /endrant

I love the smell of elitism in the morning!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:34 pm

kiryan wrote:and create some manufacturing jobs for the retards who couldnt finish high school but expect to make 25 bucks an hour for a job a child in bangladesh will do for $1 a month. Yea for Democrats yea for unions, our "middle class". /endrant

Without those retards, our economy would be in the crapper. Without those retards, you would have a shit ton more competition for the job you have with your degree. Without those retards, the trade deficit would surely be worse than it is now -- and it's very bad now.

Yay for Republicans that don't understand economics. Yay for the disillusioned "upper-middle class."

Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:01 am

Unions are good when they actually protect workers. They are bad when they are bad for workers by driving their employers out of business or overseas. Eighty years ago, unions were alot more relevant than now.

Actuall Kifle, it is alot more involved than what you said. See, by your logic, everyone should have sold things denominated in Euro's when the Euro was worth 85 cents back in 2000 or so. Of course, after that it has risen to about $1.42. Isn't the idea to buy low and sell high?

One could argue that foreign investment will go up instead of down. The reason is the cost of things in dollars are cheaper. This includes industrial goods, but it can also include things like real estate. It could be argued that commodity prices rising in relation to the dollar is good for real estate since it makes the creation value of the house higher.

High import prices do create inflation, but for US manufacturers, that can be a good thing. Consider this, if GM and Toyota are making a comparable car and each is 20K. Now the Toyota goes up 25K while the GM is still at 20K. GM looks and says, "Hey, we don't have to be at 20K since our competition is at 25K." So they raise it to 23 or 24K. They may sell the same or even more units by taking marketshare with the lower price making it better for them.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:01 am

Lathander wrote:Unions are good when they actually protect workers. They are bad when they are bad for workers by driving their employers out of business or overseas. Eighty years ago, unions were alot more relevant than now.

Actuall Kifle, it is alot more involved than what you said. See, by your logic, everyone should have sold things denominated in Euro's when the Euro was worth 85 cents back in 2000 or so. Of course, after that it has risen to about $1.42. Isn't the idea to buy low and sell high?

One could argue that foreign investment will go up instead of down. The reason is the cost of things in dollars are cheaper. This includes industrial goods, but it can also include things like real estate. It could be argued that commodity prices rising in relation to the dollar is good for real estate since it makes the creation value of the house higher.

High import prices do create inflation, but for US manufacturers, that can be a good thing. Consider this, if GM and Toyota are making a comparable car and each is 20K. Now the Toyota goes up 25K while the GM is still at 20K. GM looks and says, "Hey, we don't have to be at 20K since our competition is at 25K." So they raise it to 23 or 24K. They may sell the same or even more units by taking marketshare with the lower price making it better for them.

The problem with Unions is that they are national entities, each intensely mired in their geopolitical interests...

coupled with the fact that the Corporations that Unions are supposed to counteract are multi-national.

The bigger fish eats the smaller fish.

Unions need to find a way to go multi-national, or international. They need to convince workers globally that they can represent their best interests no matter what country they're in - which is exactly what businesses can already do. Should they fail in this, unions will lose all relevancy.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:04 am

Kifle wrote:Without those retards, our economy would be in the crapper. Without those retards, you would have a shit ton more competition for the job you have with your degree. Without those retards, the trade deficit would surely be worse than it is now -- and it's very bad now.

Yay for Republicans that don't understand economics. Yay for the disillusioned "upper-middle class."

Without those retards, things would be a lot different.

Saying much more than that puts you in the disillusioned middle class - no matter which side of the conservative/liberal spectrum your butt fell down on.

It's true that extremely protectionist economics early in this century worked FOR America. At the time this was because no one else had our production capability, and demand for goods only America could produce was sky-high.

But super-container ships, GPS navigation, efficient seaport management theory development, portable computers, bar code scanners, RFID and continually improving transportation infrastructure around the world has KNOCKED that ideal environment for overpaying American manufacturing jobs on its proverbial ass.

The $25/hour headlight assembly job is gone for good. It's not going to come back. It was a short dream that existed in a world gone to hell in a handbasket. For America to retain it's dominant position in the world economy, Americans have to provide something AGAIN to the world that the world cannot provide for itself.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:14 am

Corth wrote:Wasn't really the question I was asking.. I understand that the dollar has been losing value.. I just don't see how its relevant whether 1 canadian dollar is less than or more than 1 us dollar. The parity aspect.. 1:1 is completely arbitrary. 1 US dollar might be worth 2000 italian liras (back before the Euro).. doesn't mean very much at all that its a 2000:1 ratio. So why is the 1:1 ratio of us dollars to canadian dollar relevant?

Currencies are traded like commodities. Our relative value to another currency is dependant upon market conditions.

If the US dollar is falling in value, it is because no one is buying.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:46 pm

Interesting story about the dollar, gold and taxes.

http://www.rense.com/general78/defeat.htm

Return to “General Discussion Archive”