ASUS EEE Pc

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Jhorr
Sojourner

ASUS EEE Pc

Postby Jhorr » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:30 am

Anyone checked out this little gem?

http://www.directron.com/eeepc4g.html?g ... GgodpBAu8Q

I'm hoping to use it connected to my stereo receiver to receive wireless audio (iTunes) from my home network. Unlike the Roku Soundbridge or the Squeezebox player, I figure it will be able to display album art.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:12 am

Eh, looks like a mostly crippled laptop... an expensive toy.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:26 pm

Is there anything else available in this form factor though? (i.e. 7" TFT screen with wireless G that can run iTunes).
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:56 pm

Jhorr wrote:Is there anything else available in this form factor though? (i.e. 7" TFT screen with wireless G that can run iTunes).

In all honesty, I don't know. I don't really see the benefit of having this type of thing though, so I'm not in the market for them. Could just spend $100 more and get a cheap walmart laptop with twice the ram, much larger hd, and more. I guess what I'm getting at is that thing is just not cost effective -- even if you're just looking for something to run as a wireless iTunes hub.

Now, if it's for your car... I could see the benefit -- kinda :) Happy hunting, Jhorr. I'll keep my eye out for something like it but cheaper.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:28 am

Kifle wrote: Could just spend $100 more and get a cheap walmart laptop with twice the ram, much larger hd, and more.

And probably twice as likely to break, too.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:14 am

There's some really high-end stuff in this genre (Crestron, Russound, Olive, etc. - none of which will play protected iTunes purchased songs) but this is the cheapest thing I've seen that might do the trick.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05 pm

http://www.oqo.com/

This is the toy I keep trying to convince myself I should buy. I keep concluding that its just too small to be usable even though its got amazing features. I'm leaning towards a standard tablet.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:00 pm

kiryan wrote:http://www.oqo.com/

This is the toy I keep trying to convince myself I should buy. I keep concluding that its just too small to be usable even though its got amazing features. I'm leaning towards a standard tablet.

Would fit well in your manpurse!
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:17 am

I was thinking, wow very cool, for $199... so I went to some shop sites and saw everyone sells it for $399 .. far less cool :(.. Was it toshiba that had a tiny little laptop late in the early pentium days?
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:38 am

Damn that's sweet but too rich for my blood :(

Return to “General Discussion Archive”