Sojourner

For any of you against big government.

Postby muma » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:21 am

Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:45 am

Lol, I love the news section with the imbeded ad link...

US NEWS

GUNMAN KILLS CHRISTMAS SHOPPERS

Omaha Gunman Made Call About Suicide Note

YOUR PC BECAME SLOW?: Cleaning Windows Registry will make your PC 2-3 times Faster. MORE

Mall gunman called quiet and depressed
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Glaman
Sojourner

Postby Glaman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:16 pm

it isnt just about big government it is also about REAL news. Not that fake pentagon paid for crap you see on TV.

http://www.prisonplanet.com

that site is ran by the same person, but i find it easier to find information.

http://www.truthnew.us
http://www.infowars.net
http://www.prisonplanet.tv
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:29 pm

*adjusts tinfoil hat*
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:24 pm

Tasan wrote:*adjusts tinfoil hat*

Dude. You forgot the aluminum foil lining.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
muma
Sojourner

Free your mind.

Postby muma » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:35 pm

If you liked the Patriot Act. You're going to LOVE this. It's time to chain down people's thoughts baby! :(

Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinio ... 4977.story
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Muma has gone off the deepend .. she was a lot more fun when she thought (and typed) for herself!

Muma usually types in all lower case, just a feeling tho ..
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
muma
Sojourner

Here goes.

Postby muma » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:03 am

Ok Here are a list of Acts which were passed that you probably don't know about. They are pretty disturbing as well. Also numerous articles that will bother you as an American citizen.

http://www.projectcensored.org/censored_2008/
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Here goes.

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:27 am

muma wrote:http://www.projectcensored.org/censored_2008/

But... it's not 2008 yet.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:58 pm

you can actually glean a lot of major stories off the alex jones sites well before they ever hit the main media (if they ever do), and if you care about your constitutional rights any, you would do well to pay some attention. Cuz the CEO's at meganewscorp who pump money into the Bush dynasty political machine sure as hell arent going to tell you what you need to know.

Alex Jones, tho often criticized for being a megaphone wielding tinfoil hatter, IS the guy who accurately predicted 9-11 (a major terrorist attack involving jetliners and high profile buildings, in NY and/or DC, blamed on Osama Bin Laden was his prediction) a month before it happened.

But if you dont wanna at least read and inform yourselves before judging... then go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and trash the real news... you can join the ranks of CNN and NBC, when they trash Ron Paul for his North American Union "conspiracy". ...even tho the congressional record clearly shows that the NAU exists... our congressmembers have been voting on it.

I read www.markswatson.com as well, tho I dont agree with his ultra-conservative religious rightwing views in the slightest. But he is pretty much dead on when it comes to economic predictions so far, and he catches quite a few important international politics stories from under the corporate radar.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:26 pm

This is nothing new (except the coverage its getting). I've been following the media's self censorship for about 15 years. I don't know if it is overt and the conspiracy that many claim or whether its just a function of the American public who long ago lost interest in politics and fringe ideas. I suspect the latter and its the same reason why we get hundreds of stories about Brittney and Paris, while real news is relegated to obscurity. Critizing the government is not in fashion, your a loon unless you're reporting on corruption / unethical abuses of power. When the American public is generally dissatisfied with government, I think you'll see more of what people think is being censored today. It's not being censored, its just not popular and interesting.

I hope Ron Paul is the start of something new and lasting. He's run afoul of these same so called censorship claims... Again, I don't think its a conspiracy, but more of how the machine works. Take his poll numbers, they suck. But how are these polls conducted? They are generally done by polling a random group of REGISTERED republicans WHO VOTED IN THE PREVIOUS PRIMARY. Do they reflect the Republican party as a whole, no. Are they a good indicator in normal times, absolutely. Question, are times today normal? Ron Paul is getting coverage now, and he is still polling at < 10%, so I think the news does see something that the polls don't. Whether its a good story, or whether its a realization that there is more support than the #s point out, I don't see the totalitarian "censorship" that many claim.

As for rights, again, nothing new there. I would like to point out a couple things Ron Paul said the other night.

1. The constitution was written to limit government. To protect the individuals rights from government's tendency towards tyranny.

2. The government is supposed to protect the individual rights of the individual (always a minority) not allow the majority to trample them.

Now point #2 is particularly interesting to me. How often are our rights restricted in the interests of the public good? Public domain, drinking alcohol at the beach, warrantless wire tapping, habeas corpus? 8 year old children used to bring guns to school, now a licensed adult is not permitted to carry one pretty much anywhere. I can't drink a beer in my car because I MIGHT get drunk and have an accident. Now a lot of this does seem prudent common sense, but its never seemed like a good idea to me and a handful of "radical libertarians".

I hope Americans start waking up and thinking about our origins and their rights. We've already lost so much.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:29 pm

Of course, the news or mainstream media is not a public service, but rather it is a business with the full and primary intent to make money.

Whatever sells you will see on the tube, passed through the editorial filter that most closely follows the controlling factors that influence the corporation. This should come as a surprise to no one who's given it more than a second's thought.

What you do see, however, is regulated to some extent, both by the government and the individuals who work for such corporations. Many journalists believe in maintaing some level of journalistic honesty and integrity. The government regulates what may be broadcast over public airwaves by fining those who lie blatantly or broadcasts things that generate numerous complaints.

Finally, the broadcasting/publishing corporation has an interest in maintaing SOME level of credibility (so they can continue to sell things like advertisements).

So don't call it the news. Call it instead loosely regulated, mostly true, heavily editorialized advertisement revenue generators.

"If you do not read a newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read a newspaper, you are misinformed."
-Samuel L. Clements, aka Mark Twain
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:08 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Of course, the news or mainstream media is not a public service, but rather it is a business with the full and primary intent to make money.

Whatever sells you will see on the tube, passed through the editorial filter that most closely follows the controlling factors that influence the corporation. This should come as a surprise to no one who's given it more than a second's thought.

What you do see, however, is regulated to some extent, both by the government and the individuals who work for such corporations. Many journalists believe in maintaing some level of journalistic honesty and integrity. The government regulates what may be broadcast over public airwaves by fining those who lie blatantly or broadcasts things that generate numerous complaints.

Finally, the broadcasting/publishing corporation has an interest in maintaing SOME level of credibility (so they can continue to sell things like advertisements).

So don't call it the news. Call it instead loosely regulated, mostly true, heavily editorialized advertisement revenue generators.

"If you do not read a newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read a newspaper, you are misinformed."

AFK shooting self for agreeing 100% with Teflor.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:01 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Of course, the news or mainstream media is not a public service, but rather it is a business with the full and primary intent to make money.

Very good post.
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:57 am

Dave is, of course, correct regarding media... in the same way that somebody who states "An animal the size of King Kong would have a demanding appetite" is correct.

I do believe that many individual journalists attempt to maintain integrity within their work, but once the work becomes part of the corporate machine, integrity is a point of perspective, like everything else in a commercial endeavor. The classic portrait of journalism in a good light is one painted of truth in reporting, a balanced palette of all points of view creating an impartial collage of real life upon a blank canvas. In reality one must sample from many sources and form an opinion based on history and probability, while attempting to weed out corporate investment and profit influence from what should be news.

Sensationalism and selective placement isn't dishonest. Basing editorial decisions on personal likes and dislikes isn't, either. For years I knew the local newspaper, the "Daily Oklahoman" was a horrible piece of rag that was exceedingly biased and reported news with an owner-driven slant that made the leaning tower of Pisa look balanced, but I continued to take it because it was the main source of local news in Oklahoma City... Until the day I read a letter FROM the editor defending an article the paper had printed, and the editor actually STATED that homosexuality was morally corrupt, and that the paper as an entity would continue to support an anti-homosexual stance in their reporting of the news. Oh yes, they did make it that clear. The Oklahoman made no bones about it... they owned the news in Oklahoma City, and the city would read it however the Gaylord family decided it would be printed.

It's not dishonest... it's opinion. As long as you can take everything you hear and read in the news as opinion and piece the truth together between the lines, then you're probably pretty well informed.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:40 am

Ashiwi wrote:Dave is, of course, correct regarding media... in the same way that somebody who states "An animal the size of King Kong would have a demanding appetite" is correct.

For years I knew the local newspaper, the "Daily Oklahoman" was a horrible piece of rag that was exceedingly biased and reported news with an owner-driven slant that made the leaning tower of Pisa look balanced, but I continued to take it because it was the main source of local news in Oklahoma City..

I'm not sure the "Daily Oklahoman" is a good example of the mainstream media, or of a national news source, but it does make Samuel Clements' point.

Having spoken for the national media by and large, when we look at specific areas of the media, like local newspapers and other news reporting phenomena such as 'blogs,' the picture Kelly paints is also one that we encounter in specific areas.

It's my opinion that local media tends not to be bound by the scrutiny of the general, national public, and thus tends to be even more 'filtered' through ideological prisms of their controlling board members and share holders.

Furthermore, news that's not broadcast over public airwaves tend not to be held to the standards that govern the use of public airwaves, which explains how you can pass off tabloids in supermarkets without being shut down by the Federal Government.

It's fortunate that once media goes nationwide that we begin to subject it to a higher standard simply through diversity of ideology, that more people from more backgrounds determine the credibility of the source (as well as being subject to interstate commerce controls, which gives the federal government jurisdiction).

The Daily Oklahoman, sadly, is just a monkey in the world of King Kong.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:58 pm

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

Pay special attention to parts 2 and 3.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:00 am

muma wrote:http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

Pay special attention to parts 2 and 3.

Lol, wtf? You disappear for like five months and now you're sporadically loging in to post links to conspiracy sites and then leaving? I think Sarvis hacked Muma's account! (just kidding, Sarv :P)
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:16 am

Err... because I post lots of links to conspiracy sites? :?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:40 am

Its a tinfoil hat thing
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”