Web Host question

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Web Host question

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:47 am

I'm looking for a good, reliable, and cheap web site/domain host. Would need to be able to send emails with the domain name as part of the email. I.e., I can email people from adriorn@afkpipi.com and receive there as well. Been looking at some, but I'm not very fluent on how to make sure that they'll give me a real email service. I think I'm asking for too much prolly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:41 am

You could always just look for sites and their contact info to find out if they have email@afkpipi.com then do a whois search on them and contact their domain providers for prices. Other than that, I don't know any reputable, cheap hosting off-hand.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:47 pm

I've been using Lunarpages ( http://www.lunarpages.com/id/Telos ) for Code Haven (which I still intend to update someday.) They do provide email and even have a web based email client that comes along with the account.

I'm not a big fan of Plesk (the tool they give you to manage the website) or their refusal to allow direct connections to the SQL server, which makes it hard to test stuff, but other than that they've been reliable.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:20 pm

Ok, had my shower so the brain is more awake now:

You might also want to post some of the ones you have looked at, and maybe we can tell you what they're actually offering.

Once you own the domain you own it for all purposes, including email. The important part is that they offer an email server of some kind to route that email. If you look at Lunarpages under their basic plan it lists everything included. Under Email it lists POP3, IMAP and SMTP (the three major protocols for email servers) and you'll also see unlimited email accounts. Look for stuff like that and you should be good.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:42 pm

I knew I wasn't going to be clear enough in my post...hehe...what I was looking for was the terminology of what I should be looking for. I already own the domain name, and have had it hosted for years on a company. But all they offered were mailboxes, not the actual ability to send emails with that domain name as the email, only receive emails at afk@danilavanila.com. So what term should I be looking at to determine whether a company offers an actual email service or just a mailbox? POP3, IMAP, SMTP I thought could just mean the mailbox part, and not the real email capability.

Ignoramously,

Adriorn
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Heh, I used a cheap $5 per year server for my business web site when I first started out. Big mistake. It would be down for days at a time without any status updates. I since moved to 1and1.com which is reasonably priced and I have experienced no down time.

To set up what you want to set up, you would get an account at 1and1.com for your domain. They will tell you where to point your domain's name servers to, which you would do with the company where you registered your domain. Then you just add the email accounts, and your ready to go. Its really very easy. I think its something like $3 per month or so for their no frills package.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:56 pm

<b>Adriorn</b>: Ok, I think I see what you mean. Look for things like a limit on the number of email accounts. Lunarpages is unlimited meaning you can set up any number of email accounts you want. If they are offering just a mailbox it would probably just say one email account or not mention it at all.

Be careful with Corth's suggestion though. There's nothing inherently wrong with buying the domain from 1and1, BUT many hosting providers offer free domain registration as part of the package. I bought code-haven.org from 1and1 and now I'm not using it because Lunarpages provided code-haven.com as part of the hosting.

Basically keep 1and1 in mind if you find a host you like but which doesn't offer domain registration.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 pm

I didn't buy my domains from 1and1.. bought them from a third party registrar and just host at 1and1. I'm sure if you look pretty closely you can find a better deal than what I'm paying. Something like $3 per month for the hosting.. and like $9 per year for the domain. Still pretty cheap, imho. Not sure if 1and1 domain registration would be more or less expensive.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Hrm...

code-haven.org is $5.99/yr through 1and1...

Hosting for Lunarpages is 9.95/month, including code-haven.com for free.

$3/month sounds insanely cheap for hosting...

Should note that I may be paying more for hosting in order to use Windows servers. Think I was considering 1and1 but they didn't host windows servers or something.

Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Okay, time to sound like a true noob. So basically, I can transfer over my domain, host it at 1and1.com, and get the ability to send someone an email from myname@mydomain.com? I know you can receive emails at any name@mydomain.com, but I want the ability to send out emails showing myemail@mydomain.com. I is stupid.

I checked out 1and1.com, looked good. Does 'Scripts Supported: PHP4 and PHP5 mean that I can set up a phpboard there? or do I need to look at something else to check that I can set one up?

Thanks again.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:49 am

What are you looking to do? If you just need email hosting, I noticed 1and1 has <a href="http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/MailInstantMail;jsessionid=15CD5A833560AB05B2110208C442CE34.TC60a?__frame=_top&__lf=Static">an email only deal</a> for $1/month. The only problem there is it is limited to 5 accounts. Do you need more?

They have an Exchange Server program too, but it's $3.50/month per user so that could get expensive.

Looking at their <a href="http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hosting;jsessionid=15CD5A833560AB05B2110208C442CE34.TC60a?__frame=_top&__lf=Static">hosting plans </a> it would be better than buying Exchange Server accounts if you need more than 5 users.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:08 am

Adriorn,

You don't even have to transfer the domain over to 1and1. Just open an account with 1and1, let them know your domain name, and they will instruct you where you should forward the nameservers with your domain's current registrar. Takes only a few hours for the nameservers to switch over and then everything should be functional.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:47 am

My family basically wants me to set up a website since I'm the one who knows about computers (...) for all of them to keep in touch, each with their own personalized email...i.e. dad@lastname.com, etc. AND be able to send other people emails using that name and domain in their email address. Many want it to be their primary email address and mailbox, etc.

Price is a concern, don't get me wrong, but by splitting it amongst us we'll be fine. Also, what do I need to look for to see if I can set up a PHP board? That's something else that has been requested, but I know some hosts don't support them.

Thanks again all.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 am

Ok, so you probably would want their basic web hosting option. (Assuming your family is larger than 5 people.)

I'm pretty sure if it they allow PHP scripts you can run phpBB, not 100% sure though.

Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:31 am

You need a SQL / MySQL database to run PHPBB aswell as your hosting package.

I've been using godaddy.com for my registration and email forwarding. $7.99 and you can forward 100 email addressess to whoever. In terms of the reply address, you can put whatever you like into outlook express. I can send you email from billgates@microsoft.com if I put that in the return address box.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream

Return to “General Discussion Archive”