The official Super Bowl XLII thread.

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Yasden
Sojourner

The official Super Bowl XLII thread.

Postby Yasden » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:36 am

Surprised no one made one yet.

I won some big money yesterday watching Tom Brady finally unravel and show his true suckfulness. This was further evidenced today by the fact he AND Randy Moss are opting out of the Pro Bowl game this Sunday.

Crybabies.

I'm by no means a Giants fan but if you watched the Pats/Giants game in Week 17, you knew that they had the means of taking them down even then. They blew it in the 4th quarter is all.

I just wanted to say that this was by far one of the best Super Bowls I've ever watched, although the 2nd & 3rd quarters were a snoozefest.

That play in the 4th quarter where Eli managed to avoid three guys and a sack and still make a pass that was caught off the HELMET....WOW! I was yelling in amazement. If that play had not been made, the game would've most certainly been over for the Giants. It would've been about a 4th and 14 and if the Pats had gotten the ball back they would've just run the clock down.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the game and although the Seahawks blew it in Green Bay, I'm glad to see the NFC win it again.

Side note: Derek Anderson and Chad Johnson are starting in place of Brady & Moss...looks like NFC will probably win this too!
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: The official Super Bowl XLII thread.

Postby Sarvis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:02 am

Yasden wrote:That play in the 4th quarter where Eli managed to avoid three guys and a sack and still make a pass that was caught off the HELMET....WOW! I was yelling in amazement.

Me too, actually... which is odd because I don't really follow or care about football at all.

Was a kickass play though.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:06 am

Heh, I was so relieved that he managed to avoid getting sacked that I didn't even appreciate the magnitude of the catch when it happened. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:53 am

I really don't think it's that Brady unraveled, but more that his offensive line did. He had no time at all during the last part of the first half and most of the second to throw the ball at all. It didn't help things that Eli was also playing like a monster. I think I only saw him make maybe two mistakes the whole game -- and the interception wasn't one of them. He threaded the needle really well on a pass that was dropped. He earned that ring -- as did the giants' D-line.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Brady had been unraveling for a good solid two months. Look at all the close games they barely won (some they should've lost by all rights). The Giants blew the 21-16 lead they had on them the last time they played.

Hell, even the Ravens nearly beat them.

I wanted at one point to see them get the perfect season, but then I started watching Brady's "throw one halfway across the field and hopefully Moss catches it" antics and realized it's not him that's carrying that team, it was Moss' insane ability to pull the ball down out of the air with his big lanky 6'4" frame.

50 TD's says a lot, but when almost half are to 1 guy (and most of those were bombs), it shows that their short field game is lacking (other than Wes Welker, that guy can freakin' run).

I enjoyed seeing Brady off his feet more than a two dollar hooker on dollar day. His O line should be the ones not going to the Pro Bowl, honestly.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Watched the last cppl of mins only, and that's all I needed really.

Those 2 great plays by NY were awesome - Manning's passes were sweet, and the catches were too.

Glad the Patriots didnt win actually - would have been too much of a "fairy tale" of a year for them, being undefeated.

Geez Brady threw a few speculators in that last minute - you could tell he was really squeezing for something out of virtually nothing.
BEER
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:16 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs0 ... id=3229763

"the most-watched Super Bowl ever and second biggest event in American television history.

Only the "MASH" series finale in 1983, with 106 million viewers, was seen by more people"

Now THAT is awesome.

M.A.S.H. ftw!
BEER
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:42 pm

Really, MASH had that many viewers? I find that hard to believe.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:25 am

There were a lot of Vietnam/Korean War veterans and their families that loved that show. My dad was one of them.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:05 am

Yasden wrote:There were a lot of Vietnam/Korean War veterans and their families that loved that show. My dad was one of them.

http://www.infoplease.com/year/1983.html

Population: 233,791,994

No clue on how accurate that is. 106 million viewers out of 233m? What's the ratio between kids and adults?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:42 am

The MASH finale was absolutely huge. I was an itty bitty kid at the time, but I still remember how much excitement there was. It was kind of like the Seinfeld Finale but even bigger.

BTW, I'm confused. Ssar is a football fan.. and we're not talking about soccer either? Since when do aussies follow american football?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:41 am

I actually enjoy most sports when played & run well.

Including most codes of football - Rugby Union is my fav.
I played representative Aussie Rules (AFL/"Aerial Ping Pong") when at school but didn't and still don't really like the game that much.
Enjoyed Gaelic Football at school too.

One of my good mates is a big fan of Gridiron / NFL, also the big games are advertized here a bit, especially the Super Bowl which is the only NFL game shown live on FTA TV in Australia.

Joined in on a few casual muck-around Gridiron games with a few friends in some parks in Vancouver a few times whilst I was there too - was kinda fun.

Love M.A.S.H. waaaay better tho.
BEER
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:29 pm

I can't stand football, and I ended up hooked by the last quarter of the Superbowl. Personally, I think that after how they manhandled him, Tom Brady had every right to run home to mama crying like a little girl. Watching him pull his butt up out of three inches deep of astroturf was somehow satisfying every time.

My daughter needs to be grounded, though... During the halftime show she looked over at me and said "Who IS this old dude???"

And MASH came on at a time when there were very few other options on TV. It was a quality program with great acting, great scriptwriting, fantastic characters, and a real heart, and it played to an audience that was far more socially concerned than today's seems capable of.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Corth wrote:The MASH finale was absolutely huge. I was an itty bitty kid at the time, but I still remember how much excitement there was. It was kind of like the Seinfeld Finale but even bigger.

And less sucky.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:08 am

Not only that, but it was kinda forced, considering the set burned down. Who knows how long the show would've run had that not happened.

Like Corth said, the show was absolutely huge. I explicitly remember watching it all the time with my dad when I was a little kid. Of course I never caught onto a lot of the comedy until I watched reruns was a teenager.

There weren't many shows back during those days that had a huge drawing, most had their own small group of followers (Dukes, A-Team, Dallas, C & L, etc...). MASH was that one show that was universally watched by most because of its theme. It was the first real sitcom/drama combo series that focused on real life issues.

Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:00 pm

Won a nice chunk of change Super Bowl Sunday myself. A 12 point spread? Can you say free money?

Awesome game and definately the best Super Bowl I've ever seen. Loved every minute of it. ;)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Ashiwi wrote:My daughter needs to be grounded, though... During the halftime show she looked over at me and said "Who IS this old dude???"

She should be commended for not knowing who writes crappy music, imo! But, at least it's better than having Justin Timberlake at the superbowl... Seriously, show me the guy who watches football that would also buy a Timberlake album. Seriously...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:44 pm

Kifle wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:My daughter needs to be grounded, though... During the halftime show she looked over at me and said "Who IS this old dude???"

She should be commended for not knowing who writes crappy music, imo! But, at least it's better than having Justin Timberlake at the superbowl... Seriously, show me the guy who watches football that would also buy a Timberlake album. Seriously...

emote points at Dartan.
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”