It needs to be said

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

It needs to be said

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Shevarash, give it up. You obviously don't have time for the game any longer, and your grip on the wheel is hurting the game. You have a few staffers left who have the time and energy needed to keep this place alive for at least a while longer, why not give them the chance? If you really gave a shit, you would've made one single post in the recent months, but you haven't and you don't.

I've only recently come back and tried to salvage some of my past, but even in that brief time its apparent to me that there's noone at the helm.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:18 pm

If you want this place to survive, its time to take some drastic measures.

Beg Dartan/Klandan to come back as staff and fix things up before a full pwipe.

Give Eilistraee FULL control to appoint new staff and make some huge changes that might entice new players to come here since now its just stupid after every player is so established from YEARS of gearing/playing.

Help out by making more real changes that affect players... the bandaid stuff should've been going on for years, but you have always failed to implement changes that made even a somewhat meaningful difference.

I challenge ONE forger to respond to this post in any way, since their presence has been missing for so long now. Shoot me down, tear me up, anything... just show your face.
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Ragorn made a point in the 'censorship' thread that these types of posts end up hurting the morale of the staff. His concern is that after being subject to criticism, Shev and the other staff members, who are unpaid volunteers, will decide the whole thing isn't worth it and throw in the towel.

My question at this point is who cares? This is a game built for 150+ people with a 20 person pbase. Anyone who still plays is probably doing so because they haven't yet found something else to do. Its not a functioning game right now.

If Shev reads this thread and decides that hes through and hes taking the mud down with him, then so be it. It would be preferable if he saw this thread, decided hes through, and followed Gormal's advice. I'm not sure if doing that is enough to save toril or not, but I'm pretty sure it won't make things worse.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Postby Kifle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Yeah, Dartan in charge would rule. His first decision would be to change the intro screen from a dragon into a karaoke machine. In all honesty, I think it would be a good thing as well. Although I do like Shev, the whole MIA thing would be disheartening if I still played.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Postby Ambar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:29 pm

Yeah lets put everyone in charge who has trashed the mud and its staff on numerous counts :) Might be funny to see how they'd react when "walking in their shoes" Corth you need a spot too, dont you?

You guys are coders right??
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Postby Kifle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:34 pm

Ambar wrote:You guys are coders right??


Dartan is Asian, right? Jokes, jokes. Anyway, I don't know what other person knows the game as indepth as Dartan besides Lili -- except Dartan, while his methods are abrasive at times, has been very active on the gameplay discussion and ideas forums. But this will never happen, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
hagah
Sojourner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:55 am
Location: floorida

Postby hagah » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:17 pm

EDITED :

I am also unhappy with the current leadership.

I believe Eilestraee should be promoted.

Forget about 2.0 just start making fun changes to get people interested.

PLEASE
Last edited by hagah on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:43 pm

You know, I had a long post typed out, but realized it's not worth it, because I doubt any of you care. I go back to the censorship post, or whichever it is. Seriously, you guys will not be happy with anything. You say "oh give is one update, just one and we'd be happy" but you won't be, you'll gripe because it was late, or its old news and you need another update.

This entire post, like many others are entirely counterproductive and I'll be suprised if this one doesn't evolve into another flamefest. I'm not calling anyone any sort of name here, but you guys will never be happy. Just like we're not teenagers anymore, and don't have a ton of time for things, you ever think the vast majority of the people up there, Shev/Shar/Eili and them, have lives, and families.

How about we be glad atleast it still exists? Change here comes slow, we've been used to that for awhile. Look at Tia, Erlan, and hell Menzo for that matter. But slow as it is, change DOES come.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Stop trying to suck the Shev and the rest off. You're talking about a ridiculous amount of time where they've just vanished, and even the other gods are upset about it. I'm happy too see that the current staff members who are active actually do something. It really sucks for them that their bosses have left them to rot.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Gormal wrote:Stop trying to suck the Shev and the rest off.



Yeah, and <i>I'm</i> the problem... :roll:
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:50 pm

Shut up Sarvis, take your cries for attention elsewhere. "I try to post constructively and offer helpful advice waaaah" You try to stir the pot at every corner... just like that.
Bane
Sojourner
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:12 pm

Postby Bane » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:56 pm

This needs to stay constructive.

Thank you.
Eilistraee responds to Asculon with 'wtf are you doing. I've never seen anybody have this degree of pfile corruption'
Eilistraee responds to Asculon with 'You're like a pfile version of a politician'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:04 pm

Gormal wrote:Stop trying to suck the Shev and the rest off. You're talking about a ridiculous amount of time where they've just vanished, and even the other gods are upset about it. I'm happy too see that the current staff members who are active actually do something. It really sucks for them that their bosses have left them to rot.


That's adult, really. Going a throw a your mom joke in for good measure?

Stop trying to be logical about it? I'm sick of the abense trust me. The mud has lost a lot of interest for me, I rarely play these days because it is boring. I'll login to do tia, or maybe the random zone, but for the most part if im on, i'm idle. I mostly play WoW, but seriously. This isn't a democracy, they own the place and they pay for it, and they can do whatever they want with it. It's a simple fact, it's not kissing up to anyone.

If they want to run the place into the ground, then that's their prerogative, posts like these will do absolutely nothing. Countless people quit the mud, and for the most part, they come back and still play. God knows they lurk on the boards enough. If, and when 2.0 comes in, people will come back like they did for Tia when it first came out, then the pbase will once again level off. People just don't have the mentality for text based games anymore.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:16 pm

So even though you're bored and think the game is dead, you are against letting someone who's willing to do some work on it take over?

Shev's recent bbs posts:

Image
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Let me clarify... that's 2 posts in 4 months. Shev is gone, lets admit it, have Kiryan set Eilistraee to forger and move on.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 pm

If they deem it fit, sure, I don't really care - its not my call. Unless I see something change, I won't be active to really see any benefit regardless. What i'm against is the numerous posts calling for lynching and saying pass it on. Not just you, but anyone who's posted that, what good as it done?

The last post is from 2 months back, god knows you have to post every time you read the bbs. Lack of updates suck yes, but I say again, these posts do nothing at all constructive, they become flame fests. Again, not pointing the finger at you, but that's how people are especially in these kinds of topics.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:26 pm

I'm sorry if I'm not about give myself over to whatever whim may or may not take the current administration. I'm not calling for a lynching, I'm just saying what needs to be said. Staff members that have talked to Shev have said that he's not doing anything and really doesn't seem to care anymore. Okay, so Shev owns the MUD... big deal. If he's not willing to run it, why not let others? Why defend him for abandoning it?
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Not sure why anyone is being accused of a 'lynching'. Its perfectly reasonable for long time players to call for a change in leadership. Shev certainly has a right to simply refuse, as he owns the mud. However, there is no reason why the players cannot ask him to turn the mud over to someone willing to give it a shot.

Another option here is to split off from Shev's mud, just like when Shev split off from Miax. Maybe toril code and areas should have been implemented into homeland, and not vice versa.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Devils advocate I guess.

And not lynching per se on this thread, but as of late there have been some fairly nasty threads out there, and in the past as well that have been a little more abrasive and so far not quite as civil as this has been.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Yeesh, I'm not even touching this one. Fuck it.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Postby Kifle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:54 pm

Your momma's so fat she...

Anyway, no doubt it may get annoying, Arilin, but the fact is, regardless of who owns the rights or not, this MUD is being stiffled by inactivity of the forgers. We understand they have lives as we do, but to be this neglectful is a slap in the face to those who still play here. Ownership is a poor argument across the board -- especially when you factor in the MUD is something experienced by a multitude of people and not just the owner. The owner has a certain obligation, which in this case they accepted and acknowledged when they took ownership, to the players of the game to either actively own it, or pass it on (implicitly). Miax realized he was either imcompetent and passed it on or got sick of it and passed it on; regardless, it was passed on due to a lack of ability to run the MUD. The same thing should happen here if the Forgers no longer desire to run this place.

Furthermore, if they do have the desire, yet are incapable of doing so for a lengthy period of time, the responsible, mature thing to do would be to temporarily give somebody the authority to make changes (especially if 2.0 is on the way (close or not) because this incarnation is technically meaningless as far as gameplay mechanics are involved). Added onto this idea of responsibility or maturity, do you not think that the people who have played here for 14+ years are not justified in wanting some sort of explination of why this medium of socialization they've become accustomed to for so many years -- years in which friends have come and gone (recently due to actions or inactions directly taken or not by the forgers) -- is now being compromised?

The fact that you see this place as so one-dimensional is obvious in your stance. This is not just a game for many of the remaining people, it is a medium of socialization and a means to communicate with people they otherwise couldn't (yes, there are IM's but that takes away the feeling of actually "doing" something with a friend other than conversation, and I'll stay away from the psychological/philosophical argument as much as possible because I know those are not likely to garner any sort of respect from most people here for various reasons). Nevertheless, the forgers not only own a game, which is on the brink of regeneration or death depending on certain updates or signs of life, but they also own a meeting ground of sorts -- and the latter is what causes this bitter attitude, for the most part, towards the forgers for their lack of inclusion, updates, and communication. If it were just a game, who would still be here? There are plenty of other choices, not only of the text-based persuasion either. Why not just play WoW, like you, Dartan, me, Ragorn, and others have? Maybe because they are nostalgiac, or they like to read... It could be many reasons. But I will tell you one of the greatest driving forces behind this lack of desire to play more up-to-date games is not the game itself -- that would be unjustifiably arrogant at this point in time -- it has more to do with the sociological aspect of not only what this game provides to the current and past users, but also what this game means to all those who still either participate in the game or on this forum.

Lastly, as far as the "they pay for it" argument: They could just as easily not pay for it and let somebody else continue it if they so desired. It is pretentous on their part to think they are the only ones who could keep this alive both financially or emotionally. It is selfish if they desire to be the ones to financially "keep it alive" while destroying it in reality by their lack of participation. Again, they have a choice and have indirectly attracted and asked for this "abuse" because of either their selfishness or pretentiousness.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:02 pm

2.0 is on hold because Shev is gone. There's no more "around the corner", its at a standstill because of one person. I appreciate everything Shev's done at this point, but as Kifle said, the responsible thing to do is pass the reigns. All 3 forgers are MIA, which while it might be the accepted status quo for Cyric, is just plain silly.

2.0 is Shevarash's Menzo.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Postby Kifle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Also, I'd like to say that I also appreciate what Shev did for this place. It more than likely would have died w/o him at that specific time; however, he needs to realize that keeping something alive does not ultimately give you the power, authority, or justification for it's death as well. I sometimes feel it is a shame that so many people get down on him after what he did for the game and what he means to the game, but I think at this point Shev is becoming a catalyst for premature death rather than a savior which he had intended to become -- which is tragic in a sense.

I don't consider myself a Shev hater. I really like Shev and think a lot of the flak he's gotten in the past has been largely unwarrented; however, I think to be objective in this situations demands that personal feelings about a person must be put aside. The truth hurts sometimes regardless of whether you want it to or not; and the truth is, in this case, that Shev needs to either come back or pass it on. I am all for either as I think Shev has the ability, and at least had the desire, to keep this thing going. A response is not a lot to ask for.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:14 pm

As Corth has said before, we're past the point that the game was at when Shevarash himself split away from the game's original owner. Now that he's in Miax's position he should be able to recognize this and fix the problem rather than just let the MUD die.
ssar
Sojourner
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Contact:

Postby ssar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:54 pm

Kifle wrote:Dartan, while his methods are abrasive at times, has been very active on the gameplay discussion and ideas forums.


lol

Abrasive?
That's an extremely mild descriptive for dwank.

Active?
And such shit-stirring, flamefestwanking & trolling activity is helpful?

/ontopic

Sure, I'd like to see a little more activity by the forgers & admin in these forums as well as working on the MUD itself etc.
But we know they are pretty cool ppl, are often busy irl with other stuff (like we all are), and I don't think such drastic changes in ownership/forgers will help significantly.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:20 pm

Replies being negative or positive, it's quite clear there is much passion for the game from most everybody. Players' passion isn't always tactful, but the expressive intent is clear - Some aspects of the game are only empty promises and the like. That's what is driving people away. That, and clashing of personalities. A shame most everything digresses into flames.

If respect for each other's opinions were upheld, odds are flames wouldn't be so abundant.

I don't know about -NEW- leadership, but it definitely doesn't seem to have any at the moment.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Teyaha » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:37 pm

it's laughable to think you people have the gall to even assume that any change in management would fix this games biggest problem - a lack of players

the game is old. the game is ancient. the game can have some ridiculous time sinks with little rewards.

the old time players are getting too old to deal with shit like 4 hour cr's anymore and many other things that are just built-in time sinks from an archaic game structure that has been proven in the last 4 years to not be what the majority of online gamers are willing to deal with anymore

do you really think that a change in leadership to any of you overzealous braggarts would change any of this? of course not. i'm sure some of you 'vocal MINORITY' would prefer to see this game changed back to it's 1996 build - even though in 1996 the only mmorpg's on the market were meridian 59 and lineage and they charged you by the hour.

you dont pay these people to run this game. they run it because they like running it. if you treat them like shit, or assume that your opinion is suddenly so much more important than theirs - dont expect the game to be around much longer.

fact is, this is the longest this game hasnt gone without some sort of full on pwipe. it's now suffering from pretty severe mudflation. fuck me if many of you dont have 5 or more leevl 50's. before this build of this game, that was all but unheard of. 2, maybe 3? sure. but 5? 10??? skullsmashers freely sold for cash on the auctionhouse????

the real truth is most of you want to change this game into (insert whatever mmorpg you just came from). i know you wont admit it - the arrogance of your typical torilMUD player is really off the charts - but i've been ehre as long as most of you and i know what i see.

if you truly think you can run a game like this better, go grab the latest circlemud build and get to work. that can be modified to look and feel a lot like this game

but what the fuck use would it be without any community?


the community makes and breaks online games. the game itself is wholly secondary. acting like whiney assholes on public boards doesnt help to bring in new players. and bringing in new blood is what the game needs to keep going. YET, mud pbase is even more niche than mmorpg's were before WoW launched.

solve that problem before you start giving some dude who just had a fucking kid a buncha shit for not spending his free time on this board answering what YOU in Y OUR OPINION think are important matters.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Teyaha wrote:you dont pay these people to run this game. they run it because they like running it. if you treat them like shit, or assume that your opinion is suddenly so much more important than theirs - dont expect the game to be around much longer.


The forgers are not running the game, that's really the gist of my complaint. There are no forgers, there is no leadership... your rant was pointless.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Gormal wrote:
Teyaha wrote:you dont pay these people to run this game. they run it because they like running it. if you treat them like shit, or assume that your opinion is suddenly so much more important than theirs - dont expect the game to be around much longer.


The forgers are not running the game, that's really the gist of my complaint. There are no forgers, there is no leadership... your rant was pointless.


Not entirely pointless. He got to show us how cool he was, cause he cussed a lot. That deserves some kind of respect, right?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Teyaha » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:00 am

Gormal wrote:
Teyaha wrote:you dont pay these people to run this game. they run it because they like running it. if you treat them like shit, or assume that your opinion is suddenly so much more important than theirs - dont expect the game to be around much longer.


The forgers are not running the game, that's really the gist of my complaint. There are no forgers, there is no leadership... your rant was pointless.


how are the forgers not running the game?

where is it hosted? who pays the bandwidth and hosting bills?

just because they took a hiatus from the boards for 6 weeks doesnt mean they are still running it?

or are you just splitting hairs to make yourself look important?
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:03 am

Teyaha wrote:it's laughable to think you people have the gall to even assume that any change in management would fix this games biggest problem - a lack of players


If only there was someone around to post pictures of half naked girls and expensive cars to draw more people in. ;)

do you really think that a change in leadership to any of you overzealous braggarts would change any of this?


Yes, actually. The forgers don't appear to be doing anything right now, whereas even leaders who do SOMETHING at least have a chance of fixing the problems.


My 2c anyway... now to sit back and wait for Gormal to yell at me again.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:04 am

Shevarash has disappeared, even the staff don't see him. Shar is gone as well, and Cyric isn't involved in zones going into the game at all. Shev has posted twice outside of the private forums in 4 months... twice. If he doesn't have the time to be in charge there's nothing wrong with that, I'd rather not pay someone like Eilistraee to take the lead than not pay Shevarash to bog things down.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Teyaha » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:05 am

Sarvis wrote:
Teyaha wrote:it's laughable to think you people have the gall to even assume that any change in management would fix this games biggest problem - a lack of players


If only there was someone around to post pictures of half naked girls and expensive cars to draw more people in. ;)

do you really think that a change in leadership to any of you overzealous braggarts would change any of this?


Yes, actually. The forgers don't appear to be doing anything right now, whereas even leaders who do SOMETHING at least have a chance of fixing the problems.


My 2c anyway... now to sit back and wait for Gormal to yell at me again.


i'd love to post more pictures. just need someone to give me back the two discs i had fused so i can walk and use my camera again :(

although i do have a small legacy. one of the ladies i discovered and got into modelling in 2002 has now moved to europe, had 3 big modelling contracts including Revlon, and is currently cutting an asian-pop record. she keeps harassing me to shoot her when she comes over. le sigh
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:08 am

Teyaha wrote:
Sarvis wrote:
Teyaha wrote:it's laughable to think you people have the gall to even assume that any change in management would fix this games biggest problem - a lack of players


If only there was someone around to post pictures of half naked girls and expensive cars to draw more people in. ;)

do you really think that a change in leadership to any of you overzealous braggarts would change any of this?


Yes, actually. The forgers don't appear to be doing anything right now, whereas even leaders who do SOMETHING at least have a chance of fixing the problems.


My 2c anyway... now to sit back and wait for Gormal to yell at me again.


i'd love to post more pictures. just need someone to give me back the two discs i had fused so i can walk and use my camera again :(


Ouch. Sorry to hear that... :(
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Teyaha » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:13 am

Gormal wrote:Shevarash has disappeared, even the staff don't see him. Shar is gone as well, and Cyric isn't involved in zones going into the game at all. Shev has posted twice outside of the private forums in 4 months... twice. If he doesn't have the time to be in charge there's nothing wrong with that, I'd rather not pay someone like Eilistraee to take the lead than not pay Shevarash to bog things down.


i can understand that feeling. i think if i had any desire to do anything more than i currently use this mud for i would feel the same way as you do.

but calling them out repeatedly isnt going to do us any good. you know and i know that no matter what we gripe or bitch about on these boards, any changes to this game are made by a handful of people.

it's up to th em to debate amongst themselves and make their decision. whining about rares, quests, 2.0, etc and the rest that the people some here have suggested be promoted to staff doesnt help. the current staff are human beings. they arent being paid to be here. they certainly are not being paid to take somenoe's crap, and are more likely than not to simply ignore people outright if they take it too far. they have that privilege - they arent CSR reps for a gaming company here.

shev had a kid. kids are a big responsibility. i would prefer he take care of his kid than this game. i'm personally sick and tired of paying taxes to help immigrants with 6 kids from 4 different fathers who continue to party abuse the WIC programs. but that's another thread....
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Postby Corth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:15 am

Rutro.. Teyaha is trying to turn this into a political thread. Teflor and Sarvis to General Discussion forum.. STAT

Seriously.. WTF are you talking about Teyaha? Are they loading you up on painkillers or something?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Teyaha » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 am

Corth wrote:Rutro.. Teyaha is trying to turn this into a political thread. Teflor and Sarvis to General Discussion forum.. STAT

Seriously.. WTF are you talking about Teyaha? Are they loading you up on painkillers or something?


Teyaha wrote:but that's another thread....
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:22 am

You said it yourself that the community is what makes the game. Why does the community have to be silent just because someone isn't getting paid to do the job? If he needs time to take care of his kid that's fine, but they've already made their stance on poor leadership clear when they broke away from Miax. To let things go down the toilet now is hypocritical and selfish of them.

Step down until you get your life in order or decide you might wanna play again. I'm not upset that they don't have time, I'm upset that they are letting their real lives put a stranglehold on any sort of progress. Cyric needed to be outed years ago, he's been more of a hurdle than anything for areas for a long time.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4876
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:49 am

I commend Gormal for getting to Stage 3 already. Stage 4 will be to just quit and play other games. I'm currently playing emlenMUDs.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:12 am

Corth wrote:these types of posts end up hurting the morale of the staff.


It's hard to say much about sawing a branch that's already mostly cut off. All of my favorite staffers seem to be gone :(
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:21 am

Toril Mud is something of a home to me, as a player, a poster, and general soul wandering through these realms. Even though it's filled with goobers, bastards, and morons who will remain unnamed, hell, I can't think of any other place that isn't.

To be honest, most of us would like to see the mud... you know... continue to live.

As it stands, it festers and rots.

I will be keeping the part of Toril Mud that is me, alive and kicking, no matter what happens with anything else.

I am, after all, a ranger of these parts, and I always liked the winters.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Postby Corth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:34 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Corth wrote:these types of posts end up hurting the morale of the staff.


It's hard to say much about sawing a branch that's already mostly cut off. All of my favorite staffers seem to be gone :(


That was a pretty blatant misquote. I was echoing Ragorn's sentiment in a different thread. You are making it seem like I am advocating that position.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:34 am

::looks at the couch::

::looks at the popcorn::

::walks away::
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Postby Corth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:35 am

Ashiwi,

I got to say.. you have been pretty useless here for quite some time...
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:39 am

Corth wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
Corth wrote:these types of posts end up hurting the morale of the staff.


It's hard to say much about sawing a branch that's already mostly cut off. All of my favorite staffers seem to be gone :(


That was a pretty blatant misquote. I was echoing Ragorn's sentiment in a different thread. You are making it seem like I am advocating that position.


I'm adding on :P Yeesh, don't they have value menus in NYC?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:18 pm

Postby Lathander » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:43 am

Where's the bunny with a pancake on its head???

Seriously, I want the time back I wasted reading this thread. Please send your remittance to my paypal account.

Things are being done on the mud. Eili removed a major annoyance to low lvl players with taking fumble away. As he said, this is a piece of 2.0 coming at you already. Area wise there are a number of zones being worked on out there, and a nice big region over 1000 rooms is on test and being run through. Just because you don't see the work being done, doesn't mean things are happening.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4876
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 am

Image

Image
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4876
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 am

Lathander wrote:Where's the bunny with a pancake on its head???

Seriously, I want the time back I wasted reading this thread. Please send your remittance to my paypal account.

Things are being done on the mud. Eili removed a major annoyance to low lvl players with taking fumble away. As he said, this is a piece of 2.0 coming at you already. Area wise there are a number of zones being worked on out there, and a nice big region over 1000 rooms is on test and being run through. Just because you don't see the work being done, doesn't mean things are happening.


New areas would bring back players if the current ones didn't have varying (read: mostly poor) risk/time vs reward. The "hardcore" aspect of this MUD is dead. If you need me to paint you a picture, read every post i've posted in gameplay. May have to filter through my frustration, but whatever.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:13 am

Lathander wrote:Just because you don't see the work being done, doesn't mean things are happening.


Freudian slip?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:51 am

Lathander wrote:Just because you don't see the work being done, doesn't mean things are happening.


It's the "done" part that I don't see happening, and that's what matters. I know that we're all about tradition here, but the tradition of overdue promises could stop and no one would mind. 2.0 is a joke at this point, how is that kind of progress possibly a good thing? I've heard from staff that 2.0 is 90% completed and is waiting on Shevarash who has in essence admitted that he's (temporarily?) lost interest in the project.

How overdue is 2.0 now? How obscenely long did it take to get Tiamat, or Forka put back in the game? Toril can't afford to wait for the slow and steady progress that the Shevarlites are touting. The game has been hemorrhaging players for years now to the point where its difficult to get a group to even see this content that may or may not come in. Something needs to happen pretty quickly, because at this point, every player you lose is felt immediately.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests