The Evolution of EXP Zones.

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Joth
Sojourner

The Evolution of EXP Zones.

Postby Joth » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:33 pm

Well a friend and I were talking the other day about how hard it is to find an exp group. One of the possible suggestions we thought of was creating a zone that actually accommodates at minimum 5 characters to a maximum of 8-10, and levels ranger 26-36. The zone system would consists of 2 to 3 warrior type mobs that assist each other for levels 26-31, and levels 31-36 one caster mob accompanied by one or two warrior type mob.

The zone would also have to be claimed, similar to equipment zones. So the first 5 persons group to reach the zone will have the entire zone to themselves. The other aspect to this is also that these types of zones will have built in quest, where the members of the group get award a substantial amount of experience. So instead of zoning for exp they are zoning to complete the quest and get the experience bonus. In addition, the zone quest can only be done once per boot, and the zone would be anywhere from 2-4 hours.

The average size group would be 6-8 people, and it would be an issue about adding people. Once the group get above 8, the exp bonus could be reduce a little but once above 10 there would be major reduction in the exp quest bonus.

We also imagined that this new exp zone would also help develop the skills the new players need for high level zoning. The group that we image would be 2 tank types, 1 cleric, 2 mage types, and what ever else is needed.

The zone could start out like a huge grid, with a castle or something in middle of it. The grid exp would be ideal for 26-30, and the castle would be for idea characters 31-36. And the system would be that they killed all the specified mobs or completion of a task. So their would be two major exp quests in the zone, that could be done only time per boot, and if the a group of lower levels could actually join the group of upper levels to help in completing the castle.

Finally this same system couled be applied to level 36-46, where you have an exp group of 5-10 people. The zone would be something similar to say City of Brass, the mobs are more mobile and such.

Well any comments are welcome.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:01 pm

DARTAN
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Lirela
Sojourner

Postby Lirela » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:32 pm

That sound good Joth, a good way to prepare people for zoning if they've never done it before.

Submit it to Cyric and start building!
Lirela
Sojourner

Postby Lirela » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:34 pm

That sound good Joth, a good way to prepare people for zoning if they've never done it before.

Submit it to Cyric and start building!
Zolav
Sojourner

Postby Zolav » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:08 am

I was just thinking about how I've read a few posts that mentioned the game "starts" once you're 50, with zoning and such. I then thought it would be great to have "this experience" prior to being 50, or even 40.

If zoning is the most fun on the mud then maybe there should be zones that are tailored to level groups long before 40?

I think this would be a great addition.

Zolav
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:15 am

Yeah, would be cool if some zones had a quest type thing where everyone in the group got a pile of xp when they finished the zone.
Areandon
Sojourner

Postby Areandon » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:38 pm

I think this is a really good idea, actually I think this is the best idea I've heard in a long time. It will make xp more fun AND will learn the game to people.

You would have to make several zones though for several level ranges and group sizes. Also the xp gained should be substantial. At least more then for an hour of DS. Perhaps one should reduce kill xp drastically and up/introduce zone completion xp.

The only downside I see to this is that you get the same trouble with finding an xp group as for finding zone groups. Eg. really hard to impossible at off-peak hours. On the other hand you could introduce solo-xp-zones/quests.

Apart then from the huge amount of work of building all these zones, and coding the quests etc.

Any word from the imms on this?
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:02 pm

rewarding people for grouping to do experience is strictly prohibited by law.
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:50 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:33 am

Did anyone else notice how old this post was?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:55 pm

I did. Victim of a dartanbump.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Areandon
Sojourner

Postby Areandon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:33 am

It's still a very good idea. It's ashame it's been collecting dust all this time.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”