Tough Love

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Stamm
Sojourner

Tough Love

Postby Stamm » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:22 am

We've all got a soft spot for newbies. Those clueless puppy dog eyes and the awe they have when they see our glowing spanky equipment.

And I'm sure we like to give them the odd bit of equipment....

But I think we're doing a fair bit of harm here.

Here's my train of thought.

Newbie - Clueless wandering around...
"Hi Mr experienced player, you look so powerful!"
"Heh, hey there little guy, how you doing?"
"I need some better equipment, do you have any spare?"
"Aww, lemme look in my bags little dude"
"Ah, here you go, here's some stuff I don't think I can sell for any value or ever use"
"Thanks!"

Newbie then has gear better than they can ever hope of getting hold of.
This means that all there is to do is beg for more equipment or level up.
Any and all little quests that exist are of no use to them. They're probably too new to find them anyway, any that would be easy enough for them to do, some high level has probably solod.

So... instead of giving them out equipment, and in my opinion ruining the experience for them, take time to talk to them, give them some advice. Take 5 minutes to show them around the hometown they are in, or take them to somewhere that they can xp. Show them don't just spam there. And don't powerlevel them, sure show them a mob or two, but don't powerlevel them.

Your enjoyment of Sojourn is related to what you have accomplished, so let's let them accomplish something rather than doom them to boring xp until level 50 and a clueless existance of following a leader with no real idea what's going on.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:54 am

I do that already:) I have both evil and goodrace mages that I use to help new players.. I have three newbie helper characters that spend LOTS of time helping nto only new poeple but older ones too ...

Not many newish people I havent helped at one point or other ...

On this same note .. I agree people are handed too much at the get-go ... often times they do not know what they were handed and may not be as careful in their explorations (ie nonretreiveble corpses or fumbling decent weapons over water)...

I think too few people are taught the simple mechanics of battle, or the things we take so much for granted ... teaching mid-level people things such as plane walking to find gates (man that bugs the crap out of me :P) We immediately want them to be the more experienced players that we are without realizing that some people have potential but they still need to be taught.

-Ooober Noob's .02
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:27 am

Like Ambar said, some of us already do this. Granted, not as much lately since true newbies are harder to find and having spent so much time on EM has basically killed my knowledge of how to start up from WD.

That and after giving a detailed breakdown of where areas were, what mobs assisted or were aggro, some skill breakdown, etc. to Belleshel a few wipes ago, Bell decided to stay and I'm still trying to live that down. :cry:
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:30 pm

The sad part is, without that equipment you give them, it is tough to level because things have been put into place to stop fast leveling alts. Granted it's not impossible to level with newbie gear, but it's very annoying, slow, and frustrating. It usually makes a lot of people quit if they don't see fast improvement. This is true for most things you encounter in life. Also, with the newbie quests. Those are put in place to gain little things, yes, but they are obsolete after the first few generations of 50th lvl chrs. came along. After that they hand down their things that they don't need after they do some small zones a few times. This cycle just keeps on going and thus the quests become obsolete and unusable. IMO they are only there to start out the mud and not necessarily for newbies.
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:19 pm

Hmm, quite observant Kifle... hadn't thought of the quests that way.

Is there a way around this? Can we somehow make it fun again for low level players?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:33 pm

The fun they're going to have here is going to be based on their interaction with the older players, for the most part. There will be some who want to learn everything they can about the mud, and there will be those who want to take the fastest, easiest route to the top. I never give any really good equipment away to noobs... at least not normally, and I NEVER give anything to anybody who walks in the room and says "if you have better equipment than I do, can I have it?" About the best body armor I'd give away to a newbie is brig plate, because giving anything from a better zone really only takes away the pleasure they might get from being able to bid on their first "real zone" gear in the game.

Without making them go play a different mud, there's really no way to weed the newbies away from the general population, which is what you would have to do to give them a different experience. The staff has said they're working on a new newbie zone, but other than that what can you really do... institute a ban on giving away your old gear? There are already LOTS of people in the game who offer their time and effort to newbies, and you're not exactly going to change the ones who couldn't care less.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:45 pm

I show people around, take them xp'ing, and give them the odd piece of eq if I have it (I tend not to give out more than three pieces any more, I've lost fairly large amounts that I could give to people who are actually gonna play here).

I find is many newbies don't want the challenge and the heart ache of being a newbie. Hence:

Newbie tells you 'Hi.'
You start to type t Newb...
Newbie tells you 'Have any spare eq?:)'

And I get annoyed. I find most people on here pretty giving, especially towards newbies. What I got when I was new, I never really asked for. I'm all for helping people out, but are we encouraging this behavior? Is this okay? Dunno, was just think I've met some newbies who seem to do nothing, but hang around town until they got at least -50 ac or something, even when there are other people of their level to group with.

I like newbies and I always wanna help them, but for some reason this gets under my skin.
Vassana
Sojourner

Postby Vassana » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:10 pm

Too bad eq is so important to level and survive. It doesnt take a noobie long to figure that out by looking around. Its the nature of the mud enviroment for them to ask since its obvious its the center point of mud activity now isnt it? Well its not really thier being bad or a problem in book. Its the nature of the game once it hits a certain player age and density. Kind of like Kifles post, but w/o the quests. Same thing for EQ.

Now its too bad that character skills dont matter more than eq. If melee was based on skills instead of buffs and eq then low level players would be too busy leveling by skill than by asking for eq.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:40 pm

Bring back the charity well!
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:51 pm

Handing gear out to newbies is currently the only way for us players to try to correct the broken-ness of the game. Those of us with highlevel alts are playing a fundamentally different game than those of us without. It's a shitty game that way.

Other games have really excellent solutions to the twinking problem, like eq level restrictions on items and much more restricted inventory, or seasonal wipes. Since the "voting majority" of the mud population is attached to the kind of gameplay we currently have (overpowered powerlvling of alts == good), and that kind of gameplay is obvioulsy a slap in the face to any new player, we need to mitigate. Handouts is one idea, here's another.

In our current system, no strapped-with-gear player spends more than oh, a few hours getting to lvl 20... whereas it can easily take twenty hours or more for that same player in noob gear. Instead of making every character earn their gear (my favorite idea), we could dramatically up noob gear to the point where levelling from scratch isn't onerous.

+10/+10, 3d5 melee, +100hp, -50ac spread around all the newb gear (extend to all slots) would do wonders for enhancing the fun factor for the Other Half.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:56 pm

Alomlim wrote:In our current system, no strapped-with-gear player spends more than oh, a few hours getting to lvl 20... whereas it can easily take twenty hours or more for that same player in noob gear.

Maybe I just suck but my elementalist is just now level 13 with about 15 hours of play time and far from newbie gear. He has around 500hp -10ac and 110ish int.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:02 pm

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:Maybe I just suck but my elementalist is just now level 13 with about 15 hours of play time and far from newbie gear. He has around 500hp -10ac and 110ish int.

Everyone knows you equip lowlevel casters in tank/hitter gear and an orb of annihiliation until level 25 or so. DUH!

btw LF Orb of Annihilation

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Areandon
Sojourner

Postby Areandon » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:22 pm

Let me share my newbie experience with you. For me it is not so long ago. It also puts the whole eq thing into perspective.

6 months or so I started a human enchanter. My problems started at the newbie zone. It was impossible to even kill the mobs there. My chanter simply got owned by those mobs. Same with the "newbie" mobs around waterdeep. No contest. After I got some handouts I actually was able to kill my first mob.

Now I've played the game a long time ago, so I was less caught unaware by this, but I can imagine any real newbie would simply think "Ok this game is poorly balanced and quit". This problem doesn't stop at lvl 10, it continues untill about 41 or so, when you get asked into zones, and can collect your own eq. It has been impossible to solo for me, since it took me until lvl 44 or so to get out of that first handed out eq.

The eq downgrades/changes make this problem much much worse. All the handout eq is now completely worthless. Sure it does not really matter for the veteran players, they have a bunch of spare eq to swap out, they had room to spare anyway, and they know their way around, so they can replace what they lost. A 100 hp loss from 800 hps, or 20 ac loss from -100 isn't that bad. For someone who has only like 400 hps and 0 ac, eg your average newbie, it is.

For most of you, this never happens. You load your alts with some, what you call average, eq, and start playing. Virtually every lvl 2 player has better eq then I had at 40!

This makes the mud extremely newbie unfriendly. As with me this is partly compensated with some cool people who help newbies like me get into the game, but it is not a real solution. Because there is no large influx of newbies, medium-zoning groups aren't made to get average items. And even if there were enough, all average items are from less-popular lvl 50 zones anyway.

A solution would be to put level restrictions on items as was put before, but also to take a good look at where you can get eq. Medium zones should yield medium-quality eq. Really balancing would mean taking a good look at every zone, not just focusing on the high level items. It would also be a hell of a job.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:35 pm

thanuk wrote:
mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:Maybe I just suck but my elementalist is just now level 13 with about 15 hours of play time and far from newbie gear. He has around 500hp -10ac and 110ish int.

Everyone knows you equip lowlevel casters in tank/hitter gear and an orb of annihiliation until level 25 or so. DUH!

btw LF Orb of Annihilation

If I had an orb he'd be wearing it. Also I own 1 full set of gear and a partial set (hitter/cleric). It would be much nicer with hitter/tank gear I know.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:37 pm

Biggest problem I find is the fact that there are no true newbies to group with, leveling up on the mud is damn hard with the fact that there is no one for these folk to group with.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:01 pm

because the exp split makes group slower than solo.

homelands has exp closer to right, however way too fast. You get good exp grouped with a shitload of players. you get better exp in zone than anywhere else.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:02 am

kiryan wrote:because the exp split makes group slower than solo.

homelands has exp closer to right, however way too fast. You get good exp grouped with a shitload of players. you get better exp in zone than anywhere else.

i agree. one of homelands' best features is that exping was hella good. i'm sure more people would play if the gods would finally get rid of trophy, implement some type of exp bonus for group, and get rid of exp caps. Who cares if we can level our alts fast?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:41 am

Some good thoughts on here just like there were on other threads. After quickly saying I hate the idea of level restricts on eq I'd like to repoint out the idea of spanky noobie eq.

Alomlim suggested something along the lines of +10/10 3d5 +100hp -50ac. If the eq rotted when dropped and auto dropped when worn on anyone above level 20 (give or take) what would be the harm? This really would go a far way for fixing life for noobies. No need to tweak exp (although you can if you want *wink wink*), no need to tweak exp for groups (at least at the lower levels *wink wink*), no need to die to rabbits (although still possible if you strip naked), AND it would be impossible for this to affect us higher level 'punks' since the eq goes bye bye at level 20. It actually sounds almost perfect. Everyone would have the ability to level to 20 fairly quickly, old players would still do it faster with 'twinked' out eq, and by the time someone got to 20 they would be addicted muhahahahaha.

Marforp / Sasdor / Lalokiple
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:26 am

Marforp wrote:Alomlim suggested something along the lines of +10/10 3d5 +100hp -50ac. If the eq rotted when dropped and auto dropped when worn on anyone above level 20 (give or take) what would be the harm?

So newbies get used to stomping anything 10 levels above them, then at level 20 discover they get stomped by anything their level? So they get used to racing through levels, and then when it takes more than half an hour to hit 21, they quit? So the newbies learn that equipment is everything and skill is nothing?

*shrug* Not saying that would happen, you just said you couldn't see anything wrong with it.

One thing I enjoyed when I first found this mud was that it was hard! At least, harder than most other muds. Muds where a warrior could solo a dragon. Muds where a group of three was big. Here, you had to learn your way around, find things, learn to work effectively with other players. I rather think that most of us did enjoy the challenge. So keeping a challenge at all levels is good. Is there too much a lowbie levels? Maybe. But I remember getting...tiny silver rings! Oooo! Difference between life and death, and that's all it took. So slightly easy newbie zone, small handouts, sure.

f they don't like a little challenge, can't take a few deaths, let 'em mud someplace easier. *shrug*
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:28 pm

Gurns wrote:Muds where a group of three was big.

Heh, a group of three might not be "big" here, but it sure can take out large portions of the mud, albeit somewhat slowly in certain places.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:44 pm

Adding a 50-100% increase on the exp given off zone mobs would keep people from living in DS/smoke/ship and would get them doing zones for their exp, I think. Might be a good idea. I think a lot of folks are spoiled nowadays off our leftover crap (or what we deem as such), and DK exptrains, etc. So we have a whole new generation of 95% complete clueless 45-50th level newbies as a result.

A level 43 troll told me a couple weeks ago he didn't know how to get to the warrior guild in Ghore to the pool/inn. This is how bad it's gotten. :P Soooooo imms, how's the new newbie system coming!
Guw
Sojourner

Postby Guw » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:08 pm

Teasle: Are you telling me that sending 200 of our newbies into your zone is a no-win situation for us?

Trautman: You bring that many newbies, just remember one thing.

Teasle: Oh yeah? What?

Trautman: A good supply of body bags.
Guw
Sojourner

but seriously..

Postby Guw » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:09 am

Point 1:
The only way a newbie can learn Torilmud zoning is to get high enough to be invited to a zone.

I've played quite a few muds over quite a few years..

..however I've never seen anything like the spam that goes on in a Torilmud zone where you have 30 odd mobs and PC's fighting in a room.

A newbie might know his class backwards but standard xp-ing doesn't prepare/train someone for that zoning spam.

Actually I'm not sure you can teach someone, they have to experience it for themselves**, and hopefully learn the data-mining/speed reading/fast keyboard reaction (or at least, how to download decent trigger set) required in a zone.

Point 2:
Problem is should the newbie have to complete the 1 semester "Torilmud 101- Intro to Torilmud" course before being allowed to start "play"?

I'd be interested to know, if all the Torilmud Text (I mean everything, help files,room&mob&quest&object descriptions) was layed out from beginning to end, how many pages does it fill? I'm guessing 4000+ A4 pages?

How many of those pages should the 43rd level troll "know" at his level? (ok he should prolly know how to find the ghore in from his guild hehe)

If the troll had a hell of alot of fun getting to 43rd but doesn't know his ass from his elbow yet, does that mean he shouldn't be able to play this game?

**subtle matrix quote thrown in here
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:19 pm

thanuk wrote:Bring back the charity well!

I must disagree. At least when they get it from a person, they've got a connection to another player, albeit tenuous.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Mourdalia
Sojourner

Postby Mourdalia » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:16 am

Not too many people know me...

Omuv, 17th level Human Elementalist.

Hi. I'm a newbie, sort of.

Now, background info:

I've played Sojourn (1) & Toril *many* years ago. Say, around 1995 is when I was first introduced to Sojourn. I got my first character to 16th level. A Paladin. On Toril, prior to the Duris split (I think), I had a 29th level Sorcerer. He was tons of fun, except I couldn't find a group to save my life, so I quit. then came UO and then EQ, AC, NWN (which I currently am a Head DM for my own Forgotten Realms server *City of Sails Luskan*, connected to 89 other DMs and 39 other servers), and finally FFXI (though not sure how long that is gonna last).

I just wanted to say the reasons I quit before was that it was *extremely* difficult for me to get going in this MUD. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it here. I love the Forgotten Realms. There has always been a soft spot in my heart for this MUD, my first real multiplayer RPG experience.

I understand you need to make it challenging and engaging at the same time. I can say this, you know what keeps me playing now? The people who have helped me this far this time. I chose an elementalist, not because of the uberness, but because of the solo'ing ability. Necros, to me, now, are PITA to keep your pet managed, though I love TorilMUD's take on them.

If I might make a suggestion from a relative newbie in TorilMUD. Allow players to change their OnRespawn location. My NWN server PW has permadeath, so it's alot tougher. We've designed it to emphasize RP, not power or meta-gaming (like EQ/UO or any other one out there). Restrict changing of OnRespawn so it doesn't get abused, though. It was just that I successfully ran a human necro from BG to WD, got killed by a brigand in th Cruskh Valley and respawn in BG. Even after I rented in the Dead Orc.

I just wanted to add my .02 even though it was extremely convoluted. Sorry, leaving work now and had to hurry.

Anyway, I don't mean to be critical, but I do mean to be constructive. By the way, the newbie area (training) and recall thing is fantastic. Very nice.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:36 pm

Maybe we should put in a warning about CRs, since most places seem to have done away with them.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Zowa
Sojourner

a not so noob

Postby Zowa » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:27 pm

i started playing 2 months before the switch and after the switch i started playing a troll warrior. This is my first major character! But my contribution here is about spreading the knowledge you older players have. Most evils will recognize my name because I'm always saying hi and asking questions even if I don't know you; and for the most part people tolerate it. I'd like to think they sort of enjoy being helpful (I do). I've been playing 6 months, I'm a troll, and I don't know how to get from Ghore to DK at level 39. I know it's sad and I think that can be an abuse the help that can be given.
But aside from not knowing that path (I could find it if I wanted to go to Ghore sometime and I probably should just to know how to get there) the other players of this mud have taught me countless other things. Since starting to play I'm learning to write scripts for zmud so I don't just use other peoples triggers (which have been generously donated to me), I had help with equipment like most newbies, and then saved up money and bought stuff at auction or traded up, I'm STILL learning paths and ones, as well as good group fighting techniques for when I am able to zone.
But even though I consider myself a 'not so noob' I have still passed on what I have learned to those below me, or not familiar with the knowledge I posses. Once I got new equ some got passed down, while the rest was auctioned or traded.
What I am trying to say is there is a bottomless well of information and knowledge about this mud out there. While I respect that there are secrets to be withheld and let the noobs find stuff on there own, but we can be available and willing support for them. SPREAD THE KNOWLEDGE!

***On a side note: One thing that frustrated me was loosing NHC after level 10. Maybe there could be a race help channel after that or something.***
Zowa Krunch Dwarf

-Eat them all I Say-
thanuk
Sojourner

Re: a not so noob

Postby thanuk » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:49 pm

Zowa wrote:I've been playing 6 months, I'm a troll, and I don't know how to get from Ghore to DK at level 39. I know it's sad and I think that can be an abuse the help that can be given.

If yer gonna play a warrior, then don't worry any about not knowing directions to places. Warriors in general are not very versatile characters here, and a side effect of that is the fact that you will always be gated, welled, folded, wormholed, or otherwise transported to wherever you need to be by the other players. Sit back and enjoy the ride. If you have aspirations of leading, you're going to need someone to show you the dirs eventually, but until that time don't worry about it. Yer a warrior after all, you shouldn't be walking around by yourself. Its dangerous out there, better bring a mage to protect you. Sigh, how sad is that.

Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:49 pm

i dont think certain classes should not worry bout knowing directions. everyone should explore a little bit...just to learn the way from hometown to hometown at least. ur gonna miss out on a lot of the gaming experience if you dont ever walk around and see the variety of areas(safe or not) this mud has to offer.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”